No longer running out of water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AlabamaAl

No longer running out of water

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:16 pm

I had encountered a problem with running out of water in my cpap tank several times per night. I like a lot of humidity. I have tested this final fix for about a month, and have had no problems with running out of water. I went considered many options but here is my solution to the problem.

I started out with a canister that I purchased a Walmart, a water tank, 1/4 id x 3/8 OD tubing, and four aluminum barbed tube fittings tube 1/4 id x 1/4 - 28 male pipe Mcmaster Carr part no 5058k34. I chose these fittings because I wanted to drill as small a hole as possible thru the tank.

using a 7/32 drill and a 1/4 -28 tap I drilled and tapped the holes for the fittings in the water chamber and reservoir. I also put some silicon sealant on the threads to insure no leaks. One fitting above the water line in the chamber and reservoir, one as close to the bottom of the chamber and reservoir as possible without hitting the bottom.

I then attached the hose, allowing enough hose length for the reservoir to sit behind the cpap machine on the nightstand. I tested this setup, but even though the canister was designed to hold a vacuum, it would not hold pressure.

I needed a canister that would hold pressure, but also that the wall thickness of the canister was thick enough to provide for a few threads for the fittings. I purchased a new one gallon gas can and installed the fittings, included a sight for water level, and used some 3/8 Herbie clamps to insure the tubing stayed on the fittings. It might not look like much, but it holds 4 2/3 cups of water vs the 1 1/3 cups of just the tank by itself, a little over three times the capacity of the stock chamber.
Keep in mind that this set up operates on gravity feed, you never want to let the water level go above the fill line in the water chamber. I also will eventually remove the site for water level since the water level in the tank does not go past the height of the T fittings installed in the lower tubing line.
The design was not perfect, but it sure works well. If anyone decides to build on, and finds a better canister for the reservoir please let me know.

ChicagoGranny

Re: No longer running out of water

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:25 pm

Are you keeping up with your leak line in SleepyHead? One common reason for high water usage is large unintentional mask leak.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:28 pm

My leak stats on sleepyhead were always within normal range, so long as I didn't knock my mask off. I use high pressures, and the humidity level of the room is low. I wasn't running out of water every night but on some occasions I would use three tanks during the night.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:39 pm

AlabamaAl wrote: I wasn't running out of water every night but on some occasions I would use three tanks during the night.
That sounds like a process out of control or widely varying room conditions (temperature/humidity).

I am concerned that your "fix" is a bandaid covering up another problem.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:15 pm

AlabamaAl wrote:I had encountered a problem with running out of water in my cpap tank several times per night. I like a lot of humidity. I have tested this final fix for about a month, and have had no problems with running out of water. I went considered many options but here is my solution to the problem.
well, I for one think that's a pretty neat engineering solution!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Some of us live in old houses with old style furnaces that have no built-in humidifiers or dehumidifiers.
The relative humidity in our bedroom ranges from <15% in winter to >80% in summer.
This makes for huge differences in water use, even with zero excess leak.
Even the geniuses (?) who design machines have no idea of the water capacity required in
conditions less "sophisticated" than what they take for granted. Go figure!
My brilliant colleague has devised a far more economical solution than a new HVAC system.
Edit: three tanks is a bit much, though, unless you are sleeping all day.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:03 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Some of us live in old houses with old style furnaces that have no built-in humidifiers or dehumidifiers.
The relative humidity in our bedroom ranges from <15% in winter to >80% in summer.
This makes for huge differences in water use, even with zero excess leak.
Even the geniuses (?) who design machines have no idea of the water capacity required in
conditions less "sophisticated" than what they take for granted. Go figure!
My brilliant colleague has devised a far more economical solution than a new HVAC system.
Edit: three tanks is a bit much, though, unless you are sleeping all day.

Despite all you wrote, your final disclaimer indicates you agree that the process is out of control.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:05 pm

palerider wrote: well, I for one think that's a pretty neat engineering solution!
Rube Goldberg's devices also worked. But I would not call them "pretty neat engineering solutions".

If you solve the wrong problem, no matter how "elegantly", it's not a good solution.

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:06 pm

I would like a report back on how it goes carrying that on an airliner.

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:02 pm

When there is no rain for several weeks during the fall and winter months, the humidity falls. Water usage by the humidifier goes up. Yes, one night I had to fill it three times.
Since I don't plan to set foot on a plane there is no problem with the set up. If I ever had to, I have a spare water chamber available. As long as I get a comfortable nights sleep, don't wake up with stuck mouth parts because I ran out of water, and my AHI stays around 1, as it has for several months I couldn't care less what some say about the set up. It dang sure works for me. I shared it because I am sure that there are others that have the same problem I had with running out of water at night.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:58 pm

AlabamaAl wrote: I shared it because I am sure that there are others that have the same problem I had with running out of water at night.
you're not the first person to complain about running out of water... I was talking to a friend when I saw your post, and her response was 'ooooooh!!' because we've talked about ideas for adding more capacity to the prs1 humdifier.

I'd just ignore the naysayers. maybe they're secretly wishing you'd make one for them

Last edited by palerider on Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:49 pm

I nearly run out most nights (8 hours, 15% RH), and need to wet my whistle on awakening--without fail.
Even though my leak rate is within allowable parameters.
Funny that your mouth does not get dry. I wonder what your RH is when you need three tanks full, and your hours sleeping.
Could there be a leak in the hose? Leak in the reservoir? Thirsty gnomes? Straw wrappers under the bed?
If your mouth is consistently moist, how can you possibly be mouth-breathing?
Something does not add up.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:43 pm

palerider wrote:
AlabamaAl wrote: I shared it because I am sure that there are others that have the same problem I had with running out of water at night.
you're not the first person to complain about running out of water... I was talking to a friend when I saw your post, and her response was 'ohhhhh!' because we've talked about ideas for adding more capacity to the prs1 humdifier.

I'd just ignore the naysayers. maybe they're secretly wishing you'd make one for them
You sure that wasn't " oooooh!!"?
And who ARE the people who engineer these things without thinking that winter air in the northern climes is dry enough to make skin crack, noses bleed...and these silly tiny tanks run DRY??

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:00 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:
palerider wrote: and her response was 'ohhhhh!'
You sure that wasn't " oooooh!!"?
yes, thank you, wouldn't want to mis-quote

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:16 am

Tatooed Lady wrote:And who ARE the people who engineer these things without thinking that winter air in the northern climes is dry enough to make skin crack, noses bleed...and these silly tiny tanks run DRY??
Yes, but AlabamaAl might be living in Alabama. It is not a dry state and it is not a state that has cold winters.

Al indicates that one tank is enough most nights and then there are a few nights he uses three tanks. That's not the result of a "northern clime". He has some major leaks somewhere in his system on the three-tank nights. He would have been better off spending his time finding and fixing the leaks.

But if anyone has a leak free system and still really needs so much moisture, there is already an elegant and inexpensive solution on the market - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... ifier.html