Is this even possible? AHI of 0.0

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MacDaddy

Is this even possible? AHI of 0.0

Post by MacDaddy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:55 pm

My AHI this morning read 0.0. I didn't think that was possible. Could there be something wrong with my equipment? It is less than 2 weeks old! Alternately, am I doing something wrong? It says that my mask fit was good and there were no leaks. Or, could it be possible that I am doing really well?

Jim

Pugsy

Re: Is this even possible? AHI of 0.0

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:02 pm

It's entirely possible.
If you start seeing 0.0 every night you might want to unplug the machine from the electric outlet and then plug it back in.
This forces the machine's firmware to reboot....just like we do to a computer that has some cobwebs that needs to be cleaned out.
Sometimes the S9 machines seem to get stuck reporting the same number...and often it is 0.0 that it gets stuck on.
But yes, it is possible to get a 0.0 AHI. I don't get them often but I have had them. Other people can have them quite often especially if their AHI was on the lower side anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:06 pm

MacDaddy wrote:My AHI this morning read 0.0. I didn't think that was possible. Could there be something wrong with my equipment? It is less than 2 weeks old! Alternately, am I doing something wrong? It says that my mask fit was good and there were no leaks. Or, could it be possible that I am doing really well?

Jim
It is possible, I've had the odd day with 0 AHI, but very infrequently. Sounds like you are doing really well, though, that's great, keep it up *smile*. If you continue to get an AHI's of 0, that's even better. What really matters, though, is your longer term data. It does indeed sound like you're doing things right.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:07 pm

What Pugsy and Roger said! I think you reported an AHI of 0.2 on your first night of therapy, right? So maybe you're just going to be one of the folks who hover near zero most of the time. So I say celebrate the good report.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:25 pm

In about 2 years of this therapy I have had 6 nights of zeros. I usually stay below 1 but it is nice to see a zero now and then.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:29 pm

MacDaddy wrote:My AHI this morning read 0.0. I didn't think that was possible.
Jim,

While it is possible, it rarely happens for me. Two reasons:

1) I hold my breath when I turn over at night, and that often gets scored as a hypo. I do that between 2 and 5 times, so that is usually the lowest I ever see for an AHI.

2) Most people will have occasional random events. With some people, it central events as they drift off or wake up. For me, I usually see a few hypos as I fall asleep.

If you did score a real live 0.0, then congratulations! I see that about once a year. The more important thing for me is simply getting the AHI below 2.0. If I am in the 1.2 to 1.6 AHI range, I feel really good. If I get over 2.0 AHI, I will have a rough day.

-john-

MacDaddy

Post by MacDaddy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks everyone. I guess I will take it as a sign that I am doing something right, give myself a quick pat on the back, and keep on keeping on!

Jim

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:57 pm

I get a zero reading more often than not. Its just rubbish. Even a person without sleep apnea wont get a zero.

SethW

Post by SethW » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:11 pm

I had AHI 0.0 on January 13.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:37 pm

It's possible, but you need to look at your flow data to be sure. Some of the S9s get into a rut after a while and cease scoring events. Try resetting the machine. Unplug and let it sit for several hours,then plug in before retiring. That works for mine when it starts giving me series of 0.0 days.

Justin Case

Post by Justin Case » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:50 am

If the S9 does not accurately score the events, then how do we know that it actually is in fact doing it's job?
JC

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:06 am

I get a zero a couple of times per month. Ain't it great!!!

Sheriff

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:24 am

I came very close to 0 AHI today

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Yes a AHI of 0.0 is possible. I have had quite a few with my S9 Autoset.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:20 pm

I get them frequently, too. It's just that when I got a series of several 0.0 AHI nights in a row, I suspected something was wrong. So I looked at the flow chart and found a couple of events that should have been scored, but weren't. I read elsewhere on the forum that was a known problem with the S9 Autoset, and the fix was to unplug it from the power supply, hit the power button to discharge any residual charge remaining in the capacitors, wait several hours, then plug it back in. I did so and it resumed scoring my events, which are usually 0.2 to 0.5 AHI.

More recently someone who sounded like he might work for ResMed piped up and stated categorically that the newer S9 machines with firmware newer than ____ (number escapes me) don't do that any longer. I checked the firmware version on my machine and it was older than the one stated. So if you have a machine newer than about 2 years old, it probably has the newer firmware.
Last edited by Slartybartfast on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.