Citrus II Hospital Germicidal Deodorizing Cleaner

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
quietmorning

Re: Citrus II Hospital Germicidal Deodorizing Cleaner

Post by quietmorning » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:18 pm

Julie wrote:Oh, I'm sorry, had no idea of the situation... I do know that in general citrus wipes are good, and if you look on Cpap.com under accessories (or something like that) I think they sell them, but I hope someone else can tell you more specifically the answer to your question.
No worries! That's the thing about internet - there's a whole world out there (and here) that's just plain hard to see through the key board! Misunderstandings on the net are great for helping people get to know each other a little better. < < < (picture of me on a GOOD DAY! **chuckles**)

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:56 am

Hilarious. I am away for months and return to find the same thread going on all the time.

I use an odourless soap, toss in some Control III germicide, let soak for an hour, brush with a paintbrush bought for the purpose, rinse well and air dry. I have five masks used in rotation, one week at a time.

I can tell you that even a single spore or a minute bacterium can and will KILL YOU or do its best trying. I spent two weeks on total life support in 2009 as a result of acute bacterial pneumonia. The XPAP is BLOWING stuff into you.... that's why I change my filters regularly as well.

I rarely use a humidifier and when I do I also wash it with soap and Control III weekly. Just fill it up and let it soak.... rinse well and air dry. Done.

The alternative is pretty crappy.... I can tell you for a fact.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:10 am

torontoCPAPguy wrote:Hilarious. I am away for months and return to find the same thread going on all the time.

I use an odourless soap, toss in some Control III germicide, let soak for an hour, brush with a paintbrush bought for the purpose, rinse well and air dry. I have five masks used in rotation, one week at a time.

I can tell you that even a single spore or a minute bacterium can and will KILL YOU or do its best trying. I spent two weeks on total life support in 2009 as a result of acute bacterial pneumonia. The XPAP is BLOWING stuff into you.... that's why I change my filters regularly as well.

I rarely use a humidifier and when I do I also wash it with soap and Control III weekly. Just fill it up and let it soak.... rinse well and air dry. Done.

The alternative is pretty crappy.... I can tell you for a fact.
Been there too - it's so no fun and incredibly scary. Especially when you have three small children and you are all they have. Thank you for your help with this!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:27 am

Note: Control II and Control III are different products, possibly different strengths
Please follow directions carefully. These are very strong chemicals.
Observe appropriate safety measures and dilute to specifications only. Just saying---

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:33 am

alcohol free baby wipes will do the same thing and will be much less expensive

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Roger2

Post by Roger2 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:50 am

torontoCPAPguy wrote:

I had the same experience two years ago with pneumonia and spent 8 days in ICU. I had heard about the Control III from the hospital staff at Swedish Hospt. while I was in their and have ordered it from CPAP.COM every since. I have had no problems since I began using it to clean my cpap and oxygen equipment with since. I also use this product in a squirt spray bottle to clean other items and counter tops and sink when I am cleaning the equipment.

pax
Roger

wildflowertx

Post by wildflowertx » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:05 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Since baby shampoo has been mentioned in this thread, I agree that it is safe and mild (for most cpap accessories);
but do NOT use it on SleepWeaver Advance or élan, as baby shampoo is one common cleaning product
that has been found (by Circadiance) to be destructive to the special fabrics in these masks.

Oops. Oh well, I've only done it once. Glad I saw this thread and your response.

QM, nothing to add from me, sorry, but looks like you're getting some good advice!

Steph

Treatment started 11/27/12

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:34 pm

torontoCPAPguy wrote: The XPAP is BLOWING stuff into you
This is not true. A person using CPAP is taking in no more air than a normal breather. And if he uses a filter in the route, he is taking in fewer airborne particulates that a normal breather.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:15 am

I couldn't find the ingredients ont he Citrus II Hospital Germicidal Deodorizing Cleaner, so I purchased a bottle and a container of the wipes figuring if I couldn't use it on the CPAP equipment, I could use it here at home.

The ingredient is ammonia - so there's no way I'm going to use it to wipe down anything daily or wash it weekly. Household use only.