New to CPAP - cannot cope with it

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KevinAC

New to CPAP - cannot cope with it

Post by KevinAC » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:57 pm

I had been looking forward to CPAP. But after two days I want to throw the thing out the window. When I do fall asleep, it's only for about 30 minutes before I wake up in a panic so intense I rip the mask off and drop it on the floor. When my mouth pops open, the noise and oddness I don't know why this is happening. In the sleep center with CPAP I did no such thing.

The health center support line told me that I'm going through the same thing all patient go through but gave me very little guidance in coping with this thing other than to stick with it. Stick with what? Waking up in a panic every night?

I thought I would find information here but I must be missing it.
Last edited by KevinAC on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AHI: 52.7, RDI 55.4, Lowest O2: 81, N1: 23.9, N2: 51.8, N3: 5.5, REM: 14.7

Lizistired

Re: New to CPAP - cannot cope with it

Post by Lizistired » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Welcome, You've come to the right place.
Please go to the user control panel and list your equipment in TEXT format so it shows in your signature.
Do you know what the setting are on your machine? Pressure, exhale relief, humidity?

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:03 pm

seeing its been 2 whole days i completely agree with what the support line told you. this is easy for no one in the very beginning. you have to learn to adjust to it, the sooner the better, because you will be on the mask til death do you part. there is no magic pill or no one size fits all easy answer.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

KevinAC

Post by KevinAC » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:07 pm

How? Why am I waking up in a panic? Do I breathe my way or the way the machine seems to want me to breathe?

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:07 pm

greatunclebill wrote:seeing its been 2 whole days i completely agree with what the support line told you. this is easy for no one in the very beginning. you have to learn to adjust to it, the sooner the better, because you will be on the mask til death do you part. there is no magic pill or no one size fits all easy answer.
Sorry, but you don't know that. The OP can get tough love from the help line.
Sometimes there is a very simple solution. Sometimes it takes a combination of things.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:10 pm

Let's start over.
Lizistired wrote:Welcome, You've come to the right place.
Please go to the user control panel and list your equipment in TEXT format so it shows in your signature.
Do you know what the setting are on your machine? Pressure, exhale relief, humidity?

azpilgrims

Post by azpilgrims » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Are you on straight CPAP or an Auto Machine? If you cannot tolerate the straight pressure CPAP, an Auto Machine might work much better.

Does your machine have a Ramp in Pressure button to push to ease you into the pressure? If so, use this as it will gradually increase the pressure over a period of time.

I have been on my machine now for almost a month, it does get better, you will go through frustrations but the health benefit is worth it in the short and long term

Bons

Post by Bons » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Kevin,
Welcome to the board. I'm sorry you are having so much trouble, but that isn't too unusual.

First of all, the cpap does not make you breathe, and it should not change how you breathe. CPAPs blow a steady pressure to splint your airway open. If your machine is set for c-flex (respironics machines) or the equivalent, it will decrease the pressure somewhat when you start to exhale, and then increase again as you inhale. If your machine is an apap, then the pressure may go up when it senses you are having an apnea event. We can tell you more once you register and let us know which machine you are using.

Panic usually comes from feeling out of control, such as when you sense the machine is trying to control your breathing. Plus it takes a bit of psychological adapting to knowing you are dependent upon the darn thing, and to sleeping connected to a hose, and wearing a mask, and the whole shebang.

One way to deal with it is to use the machine while you are relaxed (good luck with that!) and awake, possibly in a room other than your bedroom. Use it while watching tv, or listening to music, just to get a feel for it, to realize that you ARE still in control, and that it's not the end of the world to have to use it. When you put it on at bedtime, and if/when you wake up during the night, do some relaxation exercise (meditate, pray, repeat a mantra, sing a song in your head, etc.). If you have a panic attack during the night, DO NOT give yourself permission to sleep the rest of the night without it. Do you have children or know any? Remember how they have to learn to sleep alone through the night? It's the same principal learning to sleep with cpap - just keep plugging away, with a little reassurance and reminding yourself that it's for the best.

If yourmouth keeps popping open, you may want to consider a chin strap.

OrangeLily

Post by OrangeLily » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:26 pm

I'm new too, just diagnosed last month & started using my machine about 2.5 weeks ago. I'm on my 2nd mask & not sold on the new one either. I can fall asleep fairly easily, its the waking in the night that bugs me. I like to side sleep & thats difficult with the mask on, so I keep trying different masks. I'll find one eventually I'm sure. I do like the ramp feature on my machine, helps to fall asleep before the air is going full force. Hang in there.

KevinAC

Post by KevinAC » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Thank you. I updated my profile. My max pressure is set to 14. The C-Flex+ setting is set to 3 right now but since I don't completely understand what it does I don't know if another setting is better or worse. I have used the ramp feature and actually raised the start point from 4 to 7 and the time period to 30 minutes; I generally suffer from initial insomnia. As for the humidification setting, 1-5, it's too soon for me to know what setting is most comfortable for me.

I want to add that I do not mind the machine while I'm awake. My time in the sleep study with the machine was generally OK.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Your equipment is still not showing up.
If your ramp is set for 30 minutes and you said you are waking up in 30 minutes, then that's when you hit full pressure.
You said the machine is telling you when to breathe. Exhalation relief can cause that, your flex.
I'm not familiar with the PR machine but I would try reducing the flex.
Have you tried wearing the mask while you are awake, reading or watching tv while it is at full pressure?

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:37 pm

KevinAC wrote:Thank you. I updated my profile. My max pressure is set to 14. The C-Flex+ setting is set to 3 right now but since I don't completely understand what it does I don't know if another setting is better or worse. I have used the ramp feature and actually raised the start point from 4 to 7 and the time period to 30 minutes; I generally suffer from initial insomnia. As for the humidification setting, 1-5, it's too soon for me to know what setting is most comfortable for me.
Can you set your profile so that it displays in your signature? That will help people. EDITED: OK, you got that.

Is your machine set at a fixed pressure of 14 (once you are done with the ramp)? I have the same machine as you and I really like mine--now after 13 months).

You might have too long a ramp at too low a pressure. You >might< be feeling a sense of panic because the ramp isn't pushing very much air at you. Try not using the ramp at all and see if that helps. I abandoned the ramp very quickly after starting CPAP.

To get some idea of how the different C-Flex+ settings "feel," try using them when you are awake. C-Flex+ eases up on the pressure when you start exhaling to make it easier to exhale (especially when you're getting used to the machine, or if you have a high pressure setting, exhaling against pressure can be uncomfortable without pressure relief). Supposedly, the higher numbers don't drop the pressure lower on your exhale, it's the timing of the relief in pressure that differs among the settings. I've asked my respiratory people and they can't give me any more detail than that.

I have to second (third or fourth?) the recommendation to use your machine for a while at full pressure when you are awake just to get used to it (although I think you said it didn't bother you, which makes me wonder if the ramp isn't the problem).

You can figure out the humidifier settings when you get everything else worked out.

Last edited by Drowsy Dancer on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:39 pm

PS what do you mean you "generally" suffer from "initial" insomnia? You've always had trouble falling asleep?

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Under the Profile tab, Edit Equipment, Display in TEXT.

KevinAC

Post by KevinAC » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Lizistired wrote:Your equipment is still not showing up.
If your ramp is set for 30 minutes and you said you are waking up in 30 minutes, then that's when you hit full pressure.
You said the machine is telling you when to breathe. Exhalation relief can cause that, your flex.
I'm not familiar with the PR machine but I would try reducing the flex.
Have you tried wearing the mask while you are awake, reading or watching tv while it is at full pressure?
Equipment not showing - fixed that.

I'm still awake and OK with the machine for at least 30 minutes so guess the ramp up isn't of much use to me. I don't even notice the ramp up, so I guess that feature does its job. I walked around with the mask yesterday morning w/o hose and really can't pull enough air in through my nose to do that for long.

I'm usually a mouth breather. I may contact the doctor to have a full face mask Rx written so that I can try that.