My machine is spitting out my filter

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
acidragon

My machine is spitting out my filter

Post by acidragon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Lately my machine has been spitting out my foam and hepa filters. Any ideas on why this is happening and solutions to fix this? Am I sneezing or coughing in my sleep? Im using the swift fx on a system one respironics.

Pugsy

Re: My machine is spitting out my filter

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:32 pm

This has been reported in the past. Seems like the back pressure from a forceful sneeze or cough pushes the filters out.
Less than optimal design I suppose.
Most people just slip a rubber band around the machine to hold the filter in place. If it is a skinny rubber band it won't impede the air flow.
I have never it had it happen myself....but then I have never sneezed into my nasal pillows.
I have had the filters fall out if I move the machine a bit but that is something I have seen happen directly caused my my moving the machine..like for cleaning the table.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:32 pm

I am surprised our hosts (or someone else) hasn't come up with an after-market filter clip.
--Is this a job for MacGyver--or has he retired?

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:26 pm

acidragon wrote:Lately my machine has been spitting out my foam and hepa filters. Any ideas on why this is happening and solutions to fix this? Am I sneezing or coughing in my sleep? Im using the swift fx on a system one respironics.
I've had this happen many times.
The rubber band is the solution.

I suspect that a relatively high pressure coupled with a little cough pops it right out.

Edit
The suggestion to use a couple of magnets to support a wire between sounds good.
I'd wait until after the warranty period is over though.

Last edited by JDS74 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:37 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I am surprised our hosts (or someone else) hasn't come up with an after-market filter clip.
--Is this a job for MacGyver--or has he retired?
A couple of strong disk magnets super glued to the case, with a wire bracket with two more magnets glued to the bracket should do the trick. have to get the polarities correct so they attract. Jim

Mine doesn't need any thing it's a "Tank", built right the first time... In the USA
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

echo

Post by echo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:31 am

I just taped a piece of string to the cpap, going across/over the filter. Nothin' fancy
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

acidragon

Post by acidragon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Thanks for all the good suggestions, The rubber band trick sounds easy enough! However that night I opened a new OEM foam and it fit a lot tighter than my 10 month old one. So that might be a cause for many with the same problem...

LTC

Post by LTC » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:05 pm

My problem started when VA gave me cheap supplies. So, I wedged two filters in. It has not come out ever since. Airflow is fine.
Attachments
Cpap filter.jpg
Cpap filter.jpg (140.38 KiB) Viewed 552 times

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:21 pm

LTC wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:05 pm
My problem started when VA gave me cheap supplies. So, I wedged two filters in. It has not come out ever since. Airflow is fine.
Even genuine respironics filters will pop out after a cough or sneeze... It's a design flaw in the respironics machines... I've seen a number of people that ended up putting a rubber band around the back to hold the filter in.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Bons

Post by Bons » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:16 pm

I cut a piece of plastic canvas (craft store) that extends to either side of the filter. Fastened it to the machine with two elastic hairbands that came from the dollar store (in a pack of six so if I get girly I can swap color combinations).

ClayL
Location: Palisade, CO now, was Full time in a motor home for 12 years- Anywhere USA

Post by ClayL » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:39 am

I tried the rubber band for a while but ended up putting a piece of magic mending tape on each side. It hangs over maybe 1/8 inch and keeps the filters in place. It lasts for six months or so and is easy to replace.
Respironics DreamStation
Pressure = 11.5 min 14.5 max
C-Flex = 1

Dreamwear FF