New User has question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TeresaF7230

New User has question

Post by TeresaF7230 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:25 am

Hi, all.
I'm new to this site and a new CPAP user.
I've been using the new PR System One REMStar 60 series CPAP w/humidifier, and the new Quattro Air for Her FFM w/headgear.
After 3 nights of use, I have a concern....
When I wake up, it seems as if my mouth has been wide open all night, and is incredibly dry. I've been a mouth breather for as long as I remember, but was never this dry before. I thought the humidifier would keep that in check.
Any suggestions for this newbie?

Best,
Teresa
Dundalk, MD, USA

LSAT

Re: New User has question

Post by LSAT » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:32 am

Have you tried increasing the humidifier setting? What is it set for?

azpilgrims

Post by azpilgrims » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:36 am

I have the same issue no matter how high I turn the humidifier, I normally wake up a couple times a night and drink a glass of water.

TeresaF7230

Post by TeresaF7230 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:48 am

Thank you for the suggestions.
I start the night with the humidifier turn up to the highest setting.
I too am drinking upon waking. Water, that is, LOL.
Excess dry mouth is not good, tho'. I guess I can expect a ton of cavities, which is a natural result from dry mouth.
I wonder if I should try the chin strap to see if that might help.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:14 am

Are you using the heated hose with your 60 series machine or a regular hose?
If a regular hose there is a way to increase the amount of moisture delivered by changing the humidifier over to Classic mode.
I don't know if it will be enough though. Did you know about Classic Mode?

Some people just tend to have dry mouth because of any number of factors and mouth breathing just makes it worse.
The humidifiers are really meant to keep the nasal passageway well hydrated and sometimes they can't keep up with the drying in the oral cavity because it is simply larger and harder to keep well hydrated within the machines ability to deliver moisture.

You might try a chin strap to see if it helps you keep your mouth closed so that the mouth breathing is reduced.
A lot of people use one of the Biotene products to help moisturize the mouth and have decent results. You might also try one of those products to see if it helps. From what I have read..optimal relief from the gel but I have no personal experience to fall back on with any of their products. I do a bit of mouth breathing but not enough to worry about and dry mouth is minimal to none for me.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jilliansue

Post by jilliansue » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am

I use a chinstrap to keep my mouth closed, otherwise the extremely dry mouth bothers me. There are still times when I get the chinstrap too loose, I guess, and I will wake up with a dry mouth. That is an occasional thing, and nothing like it would be if I just slept with my mouth open all night. I do not believe I could take that amount of dry mouth!

Others tape their mouths closed with a variety of techniques and materials, and there are Chinup Strips you can buy, they are one-use adhesive strips that help hold your mouth closed.

Good luck!
Jill

TeresaF7230

Post by TeresaF7230 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am

Thank you, Pugsy.
I have alot of experience with dry mouth, and use the Biotene products daily. Until the CPAP, I've been able to keep it under control.
I do think I will try the chin strap, after all, it cannot hurt.
I'm not familiar with Classic Mode, but will check my manual (and/or the DME rep). perhaps that may make a difference.

BTW, I can say that I LOVE the Quattro Air for Her mask. I used the Mirage when I did my titration testing at home. I had no problems with that mask, and still have it. It's good to have a backup, just in case...

Again, thanks for the suggestions, you've given me something to think about.

Teresa

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:39 am

Classic mode is the old fashioned heat only mode and doesn't use the sensors (in the default SystemOne humidification mode) to monitor room humidity and thus Classic mode and deliver more moisture than the default System One mode.
I found that the new System One mode set at the max of 5 barely was as comfortable for me as Classic Mode set at 3...so worth a try.
Down side to Classic mode with more moisture being delivered...greater chance of rain out but there are ways to reduce rain out should it occur.

The heated hose option (if you don't have it you can get an upgrade kit) offers the best of both worlds. A higher moisture delivery and temperature controls so you don't feel like you are breathing in a sauna and yet still does a good job reducing chance of rain out.

If you only have one set of settings...1 through 5 I think it is...then you don't have the heated hose (also it has one end that is black).
With the heated hose attache the machine will give you a choice for humidity (1 through 3 with 3 being 90%) and temp for air delivery 1 through 5 with 1 being 4 degrees above bedroom air temp.
So you can use lower temps with a higher humidity delivery setting if you prefer.

So if you don't have the heated hose then that might be an option to consider....you probably would really appreciate it this winter anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.