OT: Nurse Jacintha Saldanha

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TheUglyTruth

OT: Nurse Jacintha Saldanha

Post by TheUglyTruth » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:27 pm

Stories of suicide are often sad.
Nurse Jacintha Saldanha committed suicide after engaging a hoax phone call regarding the hospitalised Duchess of Cambridge.

An Australian radio team impersonated the Queen and made a call to the London hospital with which the Duchess was a patient of.

The radio team are being hounded as the cause of the nurse's death - aspersions are being cast as to the shame of being fooled by the prank drove her to take her own life.

IMHO she took her own life, nobody forced her to commit suicide, and any number of undisclosed factors may have played a part - it's not even established that the prank influenced her decision either.

I don't think the radio team *killed* her, or are to blame in any way for her death, what's your take?

Credentials are what the doctor did for himself in the past. Effectiveness is what the doctor does for you today. Some doctors who have a lot of the former, don't feel moved to do any of the latter.

cosmo

Re: OT: Nurse Jacintha Saldanha

Post by cosmo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:33 pm

She might have been unstable before the event. They just pushed her over.

They're guilty.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:08 pm

A woman from a very traditional culture which values humility, class structure, loyalty, living away from her family, responsible the care of the future queen of her country, for was used as a media punching bag by the entire world. She didn't need to be shaky to have taken this as the end of her career, life and family honour.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm with Cosmo, they're guilty - you don't go messing around with strangers that you know nothing about. The fact that what they didn't wouldn't have made me or you kill yourself is meaningless for some stranger who might be severely depressed and barely hanging on

tooter

Post by tooter » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:00 pm

She left several suicide notes....let's wait until we hear what they say. This may have nothing to do with the hoax.
Fixed pressure at 11

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Hoaxes go beyond freedom of speech to intentional abuse of speech without regard to the harm it can cause.
I hope the two idiot radio hacks have made their FINAL broadcast.
End of career. "Would you like fries with that burger?"

ems

Post by ems » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:52 pm

It's terribly sad. The look on her daughter's face said it all and it will be a long time before I forget it. It was terrible to hear that blasted tape played over and over and over.

However, I don't feel the talk show hosts did anything beyond what they thought was a prank. Pranks happen all the time. Anyone remember the Frasier show from years back? People were always playing pranks on Frasier and Niles and it was very funny.

Yes, had they never called the hospital in the first place Mrs. Saldanha would still be alive... probably. We don't have any idea about her background. I do understand the culture thing and about honoring her country and her family.

They still shouldn't be held responsible for her death.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

VVV

Post by VVV » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Maybe Allen Funt should be charged with conspiracy to commit murder?
.....................................V

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:11 pm

I'm over the OT crap. I'm going back to SA topics or going away. This forum has suffered enough in substance and credibility.
If you are looking for a social network, FB is good for that. This forum provided a valuable platform form me and a wealth of information when I faced OSA and needed informations and answers. Sadly over the last year, that seems to have become a platform for bantering of personal opinions, to the point that new OSA patients come here and don't get answers...
This isn't a place for politics or BS. There was a time when that was balanced, but it seems that time has passed.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:18 pm

I'm 100% with Liz....some people on this board have too much time on their hands. For some this has become a blog...for others it's like a twitter account. Let's get back to OSA.

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:20 pm

I find the idea of calling a hospital to record an inquiry about a famous patient's status to be beyond the pale. To then have the powers-that-be give an okay to broadcast the terrible invasion of privacy is beyond comprehension.

The DJs were stupid in their actions, but their superiors who okayed the broadcasting should be held responsible for their actions. I hope that the DJs aren't the only ones to lose their jobs.

ems wrote:Yes, had they never called the hospital in the first place Mrs. Saldanha would still be alive... probably. We don't have any idea about her background. I do understand the culture thing and about honoring her country and her family.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:28 pm

OT WHY? Why are we having this discussion here. Is cpaptalk your whole life? Seriously, step away. Live elsewhere, in the real world.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:38 pm

Geez, will you listen to yourselves? I mean REALLY!

It should be clear as crystal that if Nurse Jacintha Saldanha didn't have access to a phone, she would be alive today. What is it with the ability of just anyone to pick up a phone, anyway? There are too many telephones, and not enough safeguards to keep them out of the wrong hands. I think there should be strict accessibility requirements for possessing or even having access to a telephone.

I repeat, if she hadn't picked up that telephone, Nurse Jacintha Saldanha would be alive today.

Think about it and call your Senator or Congressperson. No, better yet, write a letter or e-mail. Keep your telephone unplugged and out of the reach of children and secure it using an approved locking device.
Last edited by Slartybartfast on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MidnightOwl

Post by MidnightOwl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Lizistired wrote:OT WHY? Why are we having this discussion here. Is cpaptalk your whole life? Seriously, step away. Live elsewhere, in the real world.
Seriously, step away from this thread. It was perfectly clear what it was about. If you didn't want to read it you could have just moved on to the next one. I probably open fewer than half of the subjects I see here. It's not like anyone is spamming your email inbox.

Furthermore, I think it's likely that the presence of off topic threads causes people to spend more time here meaning they are more likely to be around when someone wants an on topic answer in a hurry.

And lastly this is the real world. I'm a real person. I'm pretty sure *most* of the rest of you are real people. We're just typing to each other instead of face to face.

ems

Post by ems » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:09 pm

MidnightOwl wrote:
Lizistired wrote:OT WHY? Why are we having this discussion here. Is cpaptalk your whole life? Seriously, step away. Live elsewhere, in the real world.
Seriously, step away from this thread. It was perfectly clear what it was about. If you didn't want to read it you could have just moved on to the next one.
Exactly! No one is pushing anyone to comment... or not. Why did you join in if it's not a subject that interests you?
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~