It was the drugs that did it!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Matty332

It was the drugs that did it!

Post by Matty332 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Hey folks,

Some of you may remember my constant posts worrying that my new CPAP treatment was exasperating my mental illness. It wasn't and I know what happened now.

It was the Zoloft -the SSRI antidepressant that I was on. I was having activation syndrome the whole time from this drug and I was blaming it on the CPAP. My psychiatrist has confirmed it and I have been getting mentally better every day since I weened off the drug. It was the one simple factor that was staring me in the face the WHOLE time. I am banned from antidepressants now.

So now my CPAP treatment is uncomplicated and now I just have the normal adjustment problems that everyone else has ! No more complications. I can work on really optimizing my treatment now.

I will post a post for newbies on three benefits I have seen since CPAP.

Thanks for everyone's help through all this - and your patience..

Papit

Re: It was the drugs that did it!

Post by Papit » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Well that's good news, Matty. Happily, your doc seems to be on the ball. Keep us posted.

azpilgrims

Post by azpilgrims » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:01 pm

My Doctor put me on Zoloft for Anxiety back in December when I was first diagnosed with the Polycythemia (then later sleep apnea), me and Anti-Depressants do not mix - thought I was going to go crazy and stopped taking it. The best way I have dealt with anxiety is by exercising each morning, walk a mile or two on the treadmill and good to go.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Yep, them drugs is dangerous shit. They have a tendency to fix the problem they were designed for, and then they kill you with the side effects.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Just goes to show that sometimes drugs can help and other times they just screw everything up.

Glad you got it figured out.

ems

Post by ems » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Matty332 wrote:
It was the Zoloft -the SSRI antidepressant that I was on. I was having activation syndrome the whole time from this drug and I was blaming it on the CPAP. My psychiatrist has confirmed it and I have been getting mentally better every day since I weened off the drug. It was the one simple factor that was staring me in the face the WHOLE time. I am banned from antidepressants now.
Great news! And, being banned from antidepressants even better. You were very fortunate to have found such a good doctor!
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:02 pm

Some SSRI's give really bad withdrawal symptoms if you stop suddenly. I inadvertently forgot to refill my Rx for Effexor XR on a Thursday. The next day I couldn't get a refill because it was my last refill and I was one day too late. It was a holiday weekend with Monday off so Pharmacist couldn't get a refill from my doc till Tuesday. By Sunday, I felt horrible. Chills, then sweats. Involuntary jerking of arms and legs. Every time I was just about asleep and wake up with a violent startle almost like a seizure. My heart was racing and I thought something really bad was happening to me. I called paramedics to go to the ER. The paramedics said my blood pressure was 240/160 (stroke threshold). At the ER they didn't take much of a history, didn't ask me what medications was on because paramedics got all my med bottles out of my kitchen drawer. I had a total knee replacement two years ago and had exactly TWO hydrocodone left in the original bottle. The ER docs assumed I was a drug addict suffering from withdrawals. They even refused to call a cab for me. It was one of the worst weekends of my life.

When I spoke with my doctor on Tuesday, he said I was having classic Effexor withdrawal symptoms. I got a new Rx and got it filled. After two doses all the withdrawal symptoms went away. I didn't want to be on Effexor anymore because I NEVER want to go through withdrawals again. So over six months, my doc weaned me off Effexor and I started Celexa. Celexa didn't really help my depression but was available in generic so a lot cheaper. Then in Oct Effexor went generic so I hesitantly agreed to restart Effexor. Everything has been fine since then.

ems

Post by ems » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Viking G... I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I find it unbelievable that the doctors immediately thought... oh, we have a drug addict here. Unfortunately, it's a story I've heard many times before.

If you decide in the future you no longer want to take Effexor, please taper slowly, as in 10% of your current dose every 3 to 6 weeks.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~