Supplemental Oxygen??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
azpilgrims

Supplemental Oxygen??

Post by azpilgrims » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:44 am

I was doing just fine for roughly a year on my APAP, if some of you remember I was diagnosed with secondary polycythemia awhile back as my hemoglobin levels were critically high, after numerous tests they figured out I had sleep apnea after oximetry tests showed desaturations down to 63%. My hemoglobin levels returned to normal (between 13 to 18) for the next year being on my APAP.

Earlier this year my hemoglobin levels started rising again for a couple months, had to have a few units of blood removed to thin it out, and for the last two months my hemoglobin levels have stayed normal. In the interim my doctor (a Mayo Clinic Doctor, not my Sleep Doctor/Pulmonologist) ran some more tests and one of them was another overnight oximetry test, my Basal SPO2 was 92%, but had a low SPO2 of 84% and a High SPO2 of 99%, so they ordered supplemental oxygen at 2L plugged right into my APAP where the hose connects to my machine. The oximetry test showed 16.5% of the night my oxygen levels were below 90%.

So after the long story above, I feel like crap the two nights I have had extra oxygen while I slept, my AHI normally averages around 2.0, the 1st night on supplemental oxygen went up to 3.02 and last night I jumped clear up to 5.39. I woke up 4 times during the night, normally I wake up 2 times a night and like I said I have felt like crap two morning in a row after additional oxygen. I did not use my personal oximeter to see what was going on last night, I will have to use it tonight.

Any thoughts on why you would feel crappy with extra oxygen?

BlackSpinner

Re: Supplemental Oxygen??

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:00 am

Post your data. Are those extra events clear airway events or regular obstructive?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

azpilgrims

Post by azpilgrims » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:11 am

A normal 2.0 night like Wednesday, my AHI broke down to .56 Hypopnea, .56 Obstructive, & .89 Clear Airway. Here is my 5.39 AHI from last night, dont look at the top left as I took a short nap yesterday which is not part of the selected 5.39 from overnight:

azpilgrims

Post by azpilgrims » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Here are the results from the oximetry test my Doctor ordered and based ordering supplemental oxygen on, does this look bad or good?

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:56 pm

Is there a valve in line to keep the oxygen from going back into your cpap machine? I can't see any reason for your AHI to be higher just by adding a little oxygen. What kind of valve are you using to port in the oxygen?

It could just be one of those nights but I would investigate the changes made that might possibly reduce the pressure you are getting into your mask.

azpilgrims

Post by azpilgrims » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:36 pm

It's a connector that goes in between the cpap machine and hose:

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:40 pm

If that is the only thing they added there is no reason I can see for a change in your AHI. It must be an alien visit..

azpilgrims

Post by azpilgrims » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Stormynights wrote:If that is the only thing they added there is no reason I can see for a change in your AHI. It must be an alien visit..
I guess so.

Can anyone look at my oximetry results above? I am curious if the added oxygen is really necessary?

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:10 pm

I will leave the answer to that to someone that knows more about it than I do. I use oxygen but I don't have an oxymeter that records so I don't have a clue how to read it with any real knowledge. My guess is that it isn't too bad but any loss of oxygen can't be good. Keep in mind that this is just guessing and not valuable information.

azpilgrims

Post by azpilgrims » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:26 am

AHI was a bit better last night, 2.67 - consisted of 0 Obstructives, 1.04 Hypopnea, 1.62 Clear Airway - was too tired an did not wear my oximeter to compare with the doctors findings.

karessamom

Post by karessamom » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:45 pm

I just started using supplemental oxygen at 2L a little over a week ago. I really didn't think I needed it that bad either but it's made a big difference in my sleep and I'm feeling better in the mornings for the most part. I use the COntec 50D+ oximeter at night and can download the info in the morning. the only problem is that somehow when I try to bring the Oximeter info into sleepyhead it pops into the info from the day before ha--i'm still working on trying to figure that issue out ha! but at least I can see the sleepyHead results and look at the oximeter data in the SPOR review (software that comes with the oximeter) I found the oximeter for a really good price online thru medical test supply they'll ship it free and it comes fairly fast.