Doesn't make sense

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bons

Doesn't make sense

Post by Bons » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:16 am

The respiratory therapist at my DME checked my data on Tuesday, and I had an AHI of 9.5 and the graphs showed that whenever I am in REM I have a couplet or triplet of obstructive apneas. She said I should probably get switched to an autopap and would put a call in to my doctor. I couldn't get to the DME yesterday, so when I called to make an appointment today, she said the doctor is LOWERING my pressure from 9 to 6. This makes no sense to either of us, and since I feel like I'm not getting air at all at 4 and stopped ramping from 4-9 on night three of the CPAP I don't see much value in all of the discomfort and inconvenience of the CPAP with a pressure of 6. Any ideas on why the doctor would do this?

LSAT

Re: Doesn't make sense

Post by LSAT » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:22 am

It's your doctor...why don't you call and get an explanation?

Bons

Post by Bons » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:53 am

LSAT wrote:It's your doctor...why don't you call and get an explanation?

I'm not that dumb! I did call and spoke with a tech who made no sense at all. But a least I moved my doctor's appointment from the 28th to the 15th so I'll get some idea of what's going on sooner. I'm going to drop the pressure with the understanding that I can call tomorrow and get it switched back if I'm not feeling like it's doing anything for me and if my AHI is higher.

Switching my appointment has moved me from a doctor I don't know to a doctor that I met at the hospital under professional circumstances and have great respect for. One of my members was dying and he and I worked together with end of life issues with her family (he even called - not through the nurse - to let me know when the patient would be disconnected from life support so that I could get there). I know this is a man I can trust, so that helps. And he's not the one in the practice that ordered the decrease in pressure.

roster

Post by roster » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:59 am

In cases like this, it tends to be the medical professionals who don't know what they are doing.

Get a data-capable auto CPAP with software and take care of yourself. You can see exactly what is happening at what pressure and make adjustments to get a good therapy. That is how many of us made our therapy successful.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related