A little help.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
big mark

A little help.

Post by big mark » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:24 pm

I did my sleep study and found out that i dont stop breathing while i sleep.. Good new. well for me but not for my wife. As I snore Really Bad. So I when back to the doc and after some talking and re reviewing got a cpap machine. I have the nasel pillow, but i beath though my mouth. So all the air just comes out. it works for the snoring but is feels really weird and my mouth is really dry in the morning. I have read though alot of the post here the want you to try chin straps and well god forbid tape????? really that does not seem like a safe option? Help me out?
Mark G

Bons

Re: A little help.

Post by Bons » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:31 pm

Ask for a full face mask or for a hybrid (full face but with pillows instead of having your nose covered).

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi, welcome, and I don't know that straps are that effective for everyone. Tape does seem to be more so if you get the right kind for you, but really the main solution would be a full face mask which a lot of us seem to end up with, even if only as a back-up for sick days when you're nose is stuffy (I use one full time). If you go to Cpap.com and click on masks, then on full face ones (NOT the "Total Face Mask" which is a whole other thing) you can peruse what's available along with reviews, comments, graphics, full explanations. It is a good idea though, once you think you've found a couple of likely ones, to first come back here and get others' takes on them because often the experience is different (as with anything) than the description. Popular ones are UltraMirage FF (which I use), Quattro, Hybrid, Liberty and a bunch of others.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:32 pm

elastic chin straps = torture
The two fancy chin straps my DME got for me to try were so tight they made me nauseous--
and they were not nearly adjustable enough;
So I dug out my sewing machine (covered with deferred hemming/mending),
and made my smaller-size knock-off papcap out of a biker bandanna cap, a bit of cotton, and some hook & loop tape.
A lot more work than I expected--wish the real thing fit me better
Soft woven fabric is way better than knits that roll as they stretch, and make creases (in me) where there were none before.
My "Snoozing in Sturgis" chinstrap works for me but tends to be a bit hot.--saving it for winter.
In the meantime, it's Polident and Blue painter's tape.
My mod: I cut the strip in half lengthwise before I tear it in half crosswise.
The full width is just too goopy for my thin lips--and this way I get 2 nights out of one strip.