Sleepyhead update "roofus"

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Broken Bob

Sleepyhead update "roofus"

Post by Broken Bob » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:42 am

I downloaded Sleepyhead yesterday-no problem-Now when I enter the program I get a window that says-New version of Sleepyhead v0.9.2 codename "Roofus". When I perform this download I get a failure-check preferences. I have looked at my preferences and cannot figure out what I need to change to make this download work. I read the other day that someone was having a problem because they were administrators or something like that but I have not seen anything in my preferences that give me that option. Looking forward to your responses.

CleverSleepName

Re: Sleepyhead update "roofus"

Post by CleverSleepName » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:26 am

I am running v9.2-1 on a 64bit Windows 7 machine without any issues. I checked the bug list for any mention of this issue and did see a comment "many users have had to be Administrator to upgrade to 9.2-1". I am logged in as a user with administrator privileges.

What version of windows are you using? Are you 32bit or 64 bit?

If you go to "Control Panel" and "User Accounts" it should pop up a window that shows your login name and below it whether you are Administrator or Standard User. (in Windows 7).

Broken Bob

Post by Broken Bob » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:31 am

Windows 7--don't know which bit.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:24 am

The program must have administrator rights...not the computer user who almost always has administrator rights unless you have set up a special user account without administrator privileges.

2 ways to do it with Vista and Windows 7 computers.
Either install the program under the "run as administrator" command line option to start with
or open the program using the "run as administrator" command line option.
When installed under this command line Windows recognizes that you gave the program administrator privileges right from the beginning and you don't have give it the special privileges each time you want to update.

For already installed SleepyHead...go to your Start Menu or Icon and right click your mouse on the program instead of left click to open...with right click of mouse you should get a little box with command options what to do..open...opens it regularly and "run as administrator" choose this one and then SleepyHead will open and have grown up administrator privileges and Windows will allow the updates to occur.
If this is too annoying....uninstall SleepyHead and then re-install with the right click mouse thing instead of left clicking to start the install. Uninstall doesn't do anything bad to any old data already stored. That data is in a separate SleepyApp folder in MyDocuments and uninstalling doesn't remove that file. I know because I did it when my Windows 7 computer gave me the same update problem. I had data from 4 different machines in my user file and I didn't have to re-import anything.

For XP users having the update failure...I don't know what to offer. Sorry. I don't think XP users have the "run as administrator" option line. It has been so long since I have used XP that I don't remember how I used to bypass this problem.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Broken Bob

Post by Broken Bob » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:59 am

pugsy
You are just a wealth of knowledge--I followed your instructions and it worked like a charm--thank you!

bartinstine

Post by bartinstine » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:44 am

Pugsy wrote: For XP users having the update failure...I don't know what to offer. Sorry. I don't think XP users have the "run as administrator" option line. It has been so long since I have used XP that I don't remember how I used to bypass this problem.
XP users are typically already Administrators. If you get the error in XP, your user account would be a restricted user such as would be setup for children or some users in a business climate where the company doesn't want them installing anything.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:50 am

bartinstine wrote:XP users are typically already Administrators. If you get the error in XP, your user account would be a restricted user such as would be setup for children or some users in a business climate where the company doesn't want them installing anything.
Yes, this I know.
I mentioned XP because we have a few XP users who most definitely are using administrator accounts and they are also having a problem with the update to SleepyHead failing.
In other words...some XP users who are computer savvy enough to know that they are indeed using an account with full administrator rights..are still having this update issue.
I don't know how to fix it for those XP users. So far, no one has been able to come up with a suitable solution for those users.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

peterg

Post by peterg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:08 pm

Pugsy wrote:
bartinstine wrote:XP users are typically already Administrators. If you get the error in XP, your user account would be a restricted user such as would be setup for children or some users in a business climate where the company doesn't want them installing anything.
Yes, this I know.
I mentioned XP because we have a few XP users who most definitely are using administrator accounts and they are also having a problem with the update to SleepyHead failing.
In other words...some XP users who are computer savvy enough to know that they are indeed using an account with full administrator rights..are still having this update issue.
I don't know how to fix it for those XP users. So far, no one has been able to come up with a suitable solution for those users.
Linux - Ubuntu ???

and if you read this mark, I am getting unable to parse the XML error message even though the help files do appear ok in the onboard browser. Ubuntu 11.10, sleepyhead 0.92

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:25 pm

thank you very much for explaining this in little words. LOL.... i can't log in as administrator and thought that i could never update. when you click to update you just click so right clicking the update never made sense either. now i see it was all about opening the program with a right click, not opening the update, it makes sense and it worked.

Pugsy wrote:The program must have administrator rights...not the computer user who almost always has administrator rights unless you have set up a special user account without administrator privileges.

2 ways to do it with Vista and Windows 7 computers.
Either install the program under the "run as administrator" command line option to start with
or open the program using the "run as administrator" command line option.
When installed under this command line Windows recognizes that you gave the program administrator privileges right from the beginning and you don't have give it the special privileges each time you want to update.

For already installed SleepyHead...go to your Start Menu or Icon and right click your mouse on the program instead of left click to open...with right click of mouse you should get a little box with command options what to do..open...opens it regularly and "run as administrator" choose this one and then SleepyHead will open and have grown up administrator privileges and Windows will allow the updates to occur.
If this is too annoying....uninstall SleepyHead and then re-install with the right click mouse thing instead of left clicking to start the install. Uninstall doesn't do anything bad to any old data already stored. That data is in a separate SleepyApp folder in MyDocuments and uninstalling doesn't remove that file. I know because I did it when my Windows 7 computer gave me the same update problem. I had data from 4 different machines in my user file and I didn't have to re-import anything.

For XP users having the update failure...I don't know what to offer. Sorry. I don't think XP users have the "run as administrator" option line. It has been so long since I have used XP that I don't remember how I used to bypass this problem.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990