A good DME

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepySydney

A good DME

Post by SleepySydney » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:48 am

Last week I went out of town and while I took my CPAP machine I forgot the power supply for it.
Unfortunately I did not find out till bedtime. I can't believe how miserably I felt the next day.
The next day I went to radio shack and tried to build something that would work but while I could et the blower running, it kept cutting off
when I put my mask on.
I ttried a local supplier that supplies oxygen, Aprina or something like that. they were worthless.. wanted prescription, doctors orders etc. etc. Finally hung up on them.

But then I called my own DME in Texas and they Fed Ex'd a power supply at no charge to me. While I had one more night of poor sleep I got the power supply the next day.
Now I have a spare for my travel kit.
So, while i read all the horror stories about them, I guess I have a good one.

Gerryk

Re: A good DME

Post by Gerryk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:17 am

I have a DME that I go to in the Southwest suburbs of Chicago too. I have always felt lucky to have the DME that I have. Mine is a sleep center and DME so I guess I am really lucky. They have even gone beyond price match for me and beat other prices.
Remember we still have CPAP.COM and they have helped many people out just like your DME did. I sent a copy of my script in and they have it on file if I ever need it.

I always have a copy of my scripts in an envelope in the side pocket of my machine, that way when I travel I don't have to remember it because it is already there. My DME suggested that I keep a copy of my sleep study too in case I come across someone that won't accept just the script which she has run into a lot lately. Also with everyone having smart phones now days, why not scan it or have yoru doctor email an electronic copy to you and keeping it on your phone. We may not always have our laptop but we always have our phone.

Gerry

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:11 am

Sleepysydney - I'm so glad your DME took such good care of you. You are probably in the minority based on some of the horror stories I've read here.

Gerry - Good advice! I agree that script and study copies be kept in the travel bag. I am planning to scan all my paperwork, including the invoice from the DME showing all my equipment & costs, and copy it to a small capacity thumb drive which will stay in my purse. Gotta love redundancy! It's saved my bacon more than once.

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

pratzert

Post by pratzert » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:18 pm

[quote="SleepySydney"]I ttried a local supplier that supplies oxygen, Aprina or something like that. they were worthless.. wanted prescription, doctors orders etc. etc. Finally hung up on them.

quote]

I suspect the one you called Aprina, is actually "APRIA" who in the relm of CPAP users is more appropriately called "CRAPRIA"

They are, in my opinion, the MOST evil DME company on the planet and most certainly created in the bowels of hell and sent to to earthlings to irritate, harass and dehumanize all of us who suffer with Sleep Apnea.

If you get a chance, spend a day doing google searches for "Apria" and "Crapria"..... your mind will go numb reading the horrer stories some have posted about their dealing with Crapria.

On the bright side.... some have been able to find a DME that trated them decently and seemed to care about the patients care..... but those type of DME progviders are extremely rare.

I wish you luck and hope you find one of those rare, decent, companies.

SleepySydney

Post by SleepySydney » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:30 pm

Interesting this is that I had my prescription with me, It is in my travel bag. I didn't think I needed anything else.

So, now I have copies of my sleep study too. Plus an extra power supply.