sleepWeaver nasal mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dreamy

sleepWeaver nasal mask

Post by dreamy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:19 am

Has anyone tried the new SleepWeaver nasal mask for woman yet, interested to know if there is much leakage.

FeelingBetter

Re: sleepWeaver nasal mask

Post by FeelingBetter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:20 am

I have one on order. 30 day trial, you can return it for a full refund and free shipping. So we'll see. The original mask was too flimsy and kept sliding off when I'd roll over or even move in the slightest. The new one is supposed to have more stability.
I'll let you all know when I know.
FeelingBetter

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:47 am

I use the SleepWeaver mask with the new headgear, but the original mask. I do have leak issues, however my AHI is always well below 1.0, so I persevere with it. At first my leaks were off the graph, but as I spent time messing with the fit, the leaks are just within the 'acceptable' leak rate of 24l/m. I will accept that in exchange for comfort and as low an AHI as I have with any other mask I use.

This mask is so incredibly comfortable when I can stop the leaks blowing in my eyes. I've babbled on in several posts here about the SleepWeaver so you may care to do a search.

One thing I do find that helps the mask seal better is to avoid moisturiser in the area the mask sits - that and washing the mask every day it's worn.

My DME knows how much I want to make this mask work, that they are ordering me one of the new ones on the market. This new version was just released the other day, and apparently addresses many of the leak issues.

IMHO, this mask is worth trying if you're looking for comfort, specially if you're a side/stomach sleeper. The other thing I love is that the exhaust vent is spread over a wider area, so virtually makes no impact if you face a sleeping partner.

If you have patience and are willing to experiment, this might work for you. I sometimes wear eye shades, which put a little pressure near my eyes and stop the mask leaking into the corners of my eyes. For the most part I can ignore the leaks, but I do turn the temperature up a little so the air isn't as cool.

cheers,
xena

Queenmac

Post by Queenmac » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:26 pm

If you have a lower setting like I do, it doesn't work very well. I have a 7 pressure, and the mask tended to collapse with the weight of the hose. My DME said he was told by the sleep weaver folks that lower pressures can cause that issue.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:27 pm

Queenmac, if I was you, I'd go to the SleepWeaver website and call their customer service people and ask about the lower pressures. I've contacted them on several occasions by email and phone and their staff are really helpful. I have asked my DME questions, and fortunately they don't pretend to know anything about SleepWeaver masks, but are always interested in what I learn.

From my understanding, when you smoosh your face into your pillow, also smooshing your mask, the mask adjusts so that you are still getting the correct pressure.

My pressure is only 9-10 and despite sleeping with my face partially buried, the mask still works really well - once I sort out the leaks.

Cheers,
xena

dreamy

Post by dreamy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:05 am

Thanks all. Gr8 to hear all issues , very helpful. Thanks.