Night wakings

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
baprater

Night wakings

Post by baprater » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:47 pm

I have a question that I didnt think to ask earlier with my other posts. I would have asked my dr but forgot. I almost always have trouble feeling tired enough to go to sleep at night then when I do I wake up around 1:30 or 2:30 a.m. and feel wide awake and just wish the alarm clock would go off already. I sure hope that using a cpap helps me stay asleep and gets my sleep pattern regulated to where I am ready to go to bed when the rest of the family does. I usually stay up and fall asleep with the t.v. or get bored and go on to bed. If I go to bed before I feel tired I toss and turn and get mad at myself.

Pugsy

Re: Night wakings

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:53 pm

CPAP machines fix sleep apnea and if your bad sleep is related to the sleep apnea then it might help but a lot of us have bad sleep for other reasons. Insomnia either sleep onset or sleep maintenance can be bad sleep for another reason and cpap machines are designed to fix one main problem.

Example....My machine does a great job with my sleep apnea but I have frequent awakenings due to pain. I would have them if I didn't have sleep apnea. The machine doesn't do such a good job on back pain. I sure wish it did.

With a history of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, you might want to read Robysue's blog.
http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blog ... er_19.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Yep, everybody's different. In my case, I always awoke 5 or 6 times a night, and often could not get back to sleep. I thought that was just how sleep was for everybody! I was also a very light sleeper so everything woke me up. Once I started CPAP, that all did change, and I sleep through the night. I do have pain issues too and usually take an ibuprofen before bed. If I rouse a little because of that, now I can roll over and get right back to sleep.

In the first month or so, it felt so weird to not be awake and not sense the passing of the hours through the night - it was very disorienting to go to bed in the evening and then have the next thing I knew, be that morning had arrived. I'm mostly used to it now

baprater

Post by baprater » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks for sharing, I thought I was just wierd. When I wake up at night sometimes I lay there for 2 hours before going back to sleep but its funny because even then I dont get the urge to nap during the day time. It is hard getting up, put its not a choice when you have to get the kids ready for school, but once I am up and going I am fine. Glad to hear that once I get a cpap and get used to it I may not have problems with night wakings!

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:15 pm

baprater wrote:Thanks for sharing, I thought I was just wierd. When I wake up at night sometimes I lay there for 2 hours before going back to sleep but its funny because even then I dont get the urge to nap during the day time. It is hard getting up, put its not a choice when you have to get the kids ready for school, but once I am up and going I am fine. Glad to hear that once I get a cpap and get used to it I may not have problems with night wakings!
Hi,

This happened to me all the time when I first got started on CPAP. My theory is that my body wasn't used to sleeping the whole night. In fact, it wasn't used to getting any useful sleep at all. After an hour or two of sleep on CPAP, my body had more sleep than I had the entire previous year. So, my brain was all happy and ready to get up and go despite my physical body still being exhausted. It took 6 months before I was sleeping the entire night. Now, some 3 years later, I still have that happen about once every month or two.

When I cannot sleep, I get up and do something. That is better than tossing & turning. You don't want to associate being in bed with sleep problems or with frustration. I found that I liked to listen to concert videos. Anything where you can let your brain wind down and drift is good, so don't spend that time in front of the computer or running power tools.

-john-

SleepySydney

Post by SleepySydney » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:59 am

jweeks wrote:
baprater wrote: When I cannot sleep, I get up and do something. That is better than tossing & turning. You don't want to associate being in bed with sleep problems or with frustration. I found that I liked to listen to concert videos. Anything where you can let your brain wind down and drift is good, so don't spend that time in front of the computer or running power tools.
-john-
Maybe thats part of my problem (as I write this at 2 AM) I normally either play on the computer when I can't sleep or I go to the garage and work on a car or part of a car. Sometimes its 2 - 3 hours before I go back to sleep. I hadn't thought about watching TV.