cpap w/oxygen

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ronem

cpap w/oxygen

Post by ronem » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:36 pm

Does any mfg. make an oxygen gererator with built in cpap? I've been told I need oxygen but can't lug around bulky tanks or machine in my truck. Can't be the only one. What are other's solutions?

retrodave15

Re: cpap w/oxygen

Post by retrodave15 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:08 pm

My wife uses supplemental oxygen with her cap via a concentrator, this is a larger unit that runs off 120V. We have been trying to get a portable concentrator, but we are having trouble getting approved by the insurance company.

Best of luck, but you might have a fight on your hands for a portable concentrator.

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Look into the Respironics EverGo portable concentrator. Or the somewhat larger but still smaller and lighter than a regular concentrator SeQual Eclipse 3. Both can run from cigarette lighter in car. Medicare will pay for them but then they won't pay for a regular concentrator and portable tanks. Best to check w/your insurance in-network DME providers on just what the limitations are if you elect to go w/one of the portables. Be sure the DME providers understand your situation in re: your truck driving.

Or you can buy out of pocket from on online provider. Expect $2500 to $3500 online and considerably higher than that from local DME providers.

And I would strongly suggest the following:
Anyone who is a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) operator engaged in interstate commerce (truck or commercial bus driver) who has sleep apnea has a host of regulatory issues to deal with in addition to getting good treatment for your sleep apnea.

We have a special chapter of the ASAA A.W. A. K. E. network of patient support groups for truck drivers. Check

http://www.awake.truckersforacause.com/

See the information tab for links to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) medical certification guidelines.

If you are a commercial driver who has sleep apnea or you are worried about keeping your job if diagnosed with sleep apnea DON'T WORRY....

There are a lot of us "hose heads" out running over the road with our CPAP.
Bob Stanton
truckerdad57 at apneasupport.org

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Hanna

Post by Hanna » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:51 pm

How do they go about delivering the oxygen to your wife with the nasal pillows?

SleepySydney

Post by SleepySydney » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:16 am

I travel a lot and I use the EverGo. Its great as it is easy to lug around (about 10 lbs) and runs off of either 120, batteries, or 12 volts.
I carry it in a backpack when I need it elsewhere.

I have a adapter that goes between the host and machine that O2 plugs into. Its quiet enough so I have no issues sleeping with it.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:47 am

Yeah, Sidney, I sorta wish I'd bought the EverGo Q. But I had had experience w/the SeQual Eclipse 2 and it was such an improvement over the B or E tanks when out and about! No way I could carry a SeQual Eclipse 3 in a backpack on my back! *sigh* But at $2800 there's no way I'll be replacing the SeQual Eclipse 3 w/the EverGo Q. *sigh*

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.