Returning A DME’s CPAP Machine: Proper Way To Do This?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
EJW372

Returning A DME’s CPAP Machine: Proper Way To Do This?

Post by EJW372 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:17 pm

This is another topic in my ongoing saga of dealing with an incompetent, non-responsive DME. Starting February 1, 2021 I paid around $300 upfront for a Philips DreamStation and now pay $46 a month on a rental type arrangement with them. I’m now 3 payments in but have decided to fire them and return the machine and I’ve already ordered my own (same exact model) from CPAP.com

This DME is only quick and competent in one area: billing me each month. Trying to get them to call me back, trying to get a new supply order…forget it. They gave me a mask that I did not like and didn’t work for me and after a couple weeks I tried to get them to switch it out and they basically told me “tough crap, get back to us in 3 months when you’re eligible for a new one”. Ummm, what? :roll: I ended up buying my own ResMed F30 online from CPAP.com and it’s been working great.

I pulled the modem out last night and tried calling them today to let them know I’m done with them and want to return their machine ASAP. The person took my info and promised to call back, but they won’t until I call 3-4 more times.

I’m done here. How do I get them to take their machine back? I’ll just use my own machine going forward and continue to buy my mask supplies online out of pocket.

I want to do this the proper way and not continue to get billed and have to get Aetna involved in any disputes as that’s a whole other headache unto itself.

Has anyone here done this?

greatunclebill

Re: Returning A DME’s CPAP Machine: Proper Way To Do This?

Post by greatunclebill » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:01 pm

WE ran into something similar with an o2 generator. I do not believe the dme can accept it from you without a doctors order telling them to pick it up because he is the one that ordered it The dme legally could not take back our o2 generator without the doctor requesting it to be picked which he did. this is my experience.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:29 pm

All you have to do is physically return the machine to the DME.
Make sure that you get a signed document where they accept the machine back.
Tell them that you no longer wish to do business with them and you will get your own machine.
Tell you doctor that you are doing this and why.
Might also let your insurance company know you returned the machine due to poor service and they shouldn't pay for any other monthly rentals.

If you ever want to use your insurance for masks and a different DME you can do this as well. No big deal but you will need to find another DME that works with your insurance. Your insurance company can give you a list of DMEs you can choose from.
You do NOT have to buy a machine from a DME to use them for masks.
I have been doing this for 12 years now. Bought my machine privately after I fired the first DME and refused their machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:32 pm

Oh...BTW....that 300 up front...that's for the humidifier as it isn't normally considered returnable and the humidifier is usually a one time up front purchase.
So you probably own it outright...so you might check with your insurance company to make sure.
Normally the only thing returnable is the blower unit.
Since your blower and humidifier are 2 separate units....you can return just the blower and keep the humidifier.
Masks and hoses are non returnable as well.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat May 01, 2021 6:23 am

EJW372 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:17 pm
I pulled the modem out last night
What does that mean? The machine should be returned in its original condition. Otherwise, they may try to charge you.

Pugsy has given you great instructions for dealing with a return to this DME. I would emphasize getting a receipt when you return the machine.

EJW372

Post by EJW372 » Sat May 01, 2021 3:54 pm

They are getting it back the way it came but I’m no longer reporting anything to them via the modem, I figure that may get their attention before I have to make 5 more calls to them speaking with a new clueless person each time.

Good point about contacting Aetna to let them know I’m no longer dealing with them and I’ll call my sleep doctor on Monday as well to inform them and to tell them how bad they’ve been. Maybe this doc will drop them

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat May 01, 2021 7:42 pm

EJW372 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:54 pm
hey are getting it back the way it came but I’m no longer reporting anything to them via the modem, I figure that may get their attention before I have to make 5 more calls to them speaking with a new clueless person each time.
When you unplugged the unit from the wall, it quit sending out data. You do not need to remove the modem.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

amenite

Post by amenite » Sun May 02, 2021 9:13 am

When I fired my DME 5 years ago I actually spoke to them on the phone and they arranged a pickup and shipping label. I had to explain to them what I knew from reading this board - that the humidifier was already mine - paid in full, up front, under a separate specific code.

They also sent some boiler plate release of liability letter for patients refusing refusing treatment which I duly ignored. I was not refusing treatment, I was refusing their skewed business model. I already had a new better APAP machine in hand from CPAP.com that I was using - again thanks to this board where I learned to get my own copy of my CPAP prescription.

I formatted the SD card and finally I took pictures of the unit top, bottom, labels with model # and serial #, power supply, modem with serial #, screen with the unit switched on showing blower hours etc. Just in case there was some zombie BS from these guys. They were a short time later acquired by one of the big guys.

EJW372

Post by EJW372 » Sun May 02, 2021 12:49 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:42 pm
EJW372 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:54 pm
hey are getting it back the way it came but I’m no longer reporting anything to them via the modem, I figure that may get their attention before I have to make 5 more calls to them speaking with a new clueless person each time.
When you unplugged the unit from the wall, it quit sending out data. You do not need to remove the modem.
I’m still using it until the one I ordered comes