DME Foolishness/Greediness

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Grumpy48

DME Foolishness/Greediness

Post by Grumpy48 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:28 pm

Do any other DME's force you to order supplies that you don't need? I needed to order supplies from my DME's website and I only needed ultrafine filters for my Phillips Dreamstation. I was eligible for a mask with headgear, hose and (2) ultrafine filters. I unchecked the mask and hose as I still have new unused masks and hoses from a previous order. When I went to select the filters to order, a pop up message stated I had to select the mask in order to select the filters, so I had to order a mask I really didn't need. Medicare and my supplement insurance foot the bill and pay the DME a lower rate than invoice, but it ticks me off they pull this crap. The invoice for the two ultrafine filters is $20. I've ordered a filter pack set from Amazon several months ago and will probably go that route again so as not to get supplies I don't need.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3 ... UTF8&psc=1

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: DME Foolishness/Greediness

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:34 pm

Let them know exactly how you respond to their crap. By buying exactly what you want--elsewhere.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:49 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:28 pm
Do any other DME's force you to order supplies that you don't need? I needed to order supplies from my DME's website and I only needed ultrafine filters for my Phillips Dreamstation. I was eligible for a mask with headgear, hose and (2) ultrafine filters. I unchecked the mask and hose as I still have new unused masks and hoses from a previous order. When I went to select the filters to order, a pop up message stated I had to select the mask in order to select the filters, so I had to order a mask I really didn't need. Medicare and my supplement insurance foot the bill and pay the DME a lower rate than invoice, but it ticks me off they pull this crap. The invoice for the two ultrafine filters is $20. I've ordered a filter pack set from Amazon several months ago and will probably go that route again so as not to get supplies I don't need.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3 ... UTF8&psc=1
If you are covered by insurance, the insurance company will probably pay them $1-2. They are not stupid...insurance companies make lots of money. A cheap item like this should always be purchased on line. It's not worth it for the DME to process small orders like this...that's why they want additional items included.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:57 pm

This is Medicare Fraud. Medicare rules say that they are only permitted to provide what you NEED--they no longer replace on a fixed schedule, and they have to document need. You do not need the mask. I get that the DME doesn't want to have to do all that documentation for a couple of filters they aren't going to make much money on, but that's their problem, not yours. If they don't like Medicare rules, they don't have to accept Medicare. The fact that the DME required you to get a mask you didn't need is Medicare fraud and you should report them.

I bought 52 ultrafine filters for about $12 on Amazon. I love using Amazon as my "DME". No fuss, no hassle, I get exactly what I want and often it costs less than any co-pays.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:52 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:57 pm
This is Medicare Fraud. Medicare rules say that they are only permitted to provide what you NEED--they no longer replace on a fixed schedule, and they have to document need. You do not need the mask. I get that the DME doesn't want to have to do all that documentation for a couple of filters they aren't going to make much money on, but that's their problem, not yours. If they don't like Medicare rules, they don't have to accept Medicare. The fact that the DME required you to get a mask you didn't need is Medicare fraud and you should report them.

I bought 52 ultrafine filters for about $12 on Amazon. I love using Amazon as my "DME". No fuss, no hassle, I get exactly what I want and often it costs less than any co-pays.
absolutely, report them to medicare and your supplemental insurance for fraud. They are likely doing this to all their customers and deserve to lose their medicare contract and pay some nice big fines.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

SAG

Post by SAG » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:26 am

Grumpy48 wrote:
Do any other DME's force you to order supplies that you don't need?
Do tell who this wonderful DME is so we can avoid them.
Paraphrasing Ghandi - be the change you wish to see in the world.
Paraphrasing JohnnyGoodman - Beware the person who wishes to legislate the morality and the behavior of his neighbor.
https://cutt.ly/GbE7ltf

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:48 pm

SAG wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:26 am
Grumpy48 wrote:
Do any other DME's force you to order supplies that you don't need?
Do tell who this wonderful DME is so we can avoid them.
The list is very, very long.
Medicare does not allow it, but private insurance often does not give a fecal deposit.
Even Medicare rules can force waste.
For example:
Their interval for mask is 3 months, while the interval for headgear is 6 months.
My DME will comp me the headgear if I order a mask, but it's not time for headgear.
(Go figure--the headgear is the sorriest part)
In order to always have fresh, usable headgear, I have accumulated quite a collection
of p10 frames. Medicare is stupid, so I have to outsmart them.