Suggestions for Travel CPAP requested

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kilchurn

Suggestions for Travel CPAP requested

Post by kilchurn » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:34 am

All,
I've seen tremendous benefit from cpap therapy over the last three years. However, breaking down and packing my set-up for frequent travel is a hassle. I'm going to Africa in 2017 and would like a setup that and has a humidifier and has a backup battery for nights when the camp generators are off. This unit will ultimately be my back-up/travel unit going forward.

If anyone has advice or suggestions, they are welcomed.

Thanks!
Mary

D.H.

Re: Suggestions for Travel CPAP requested

Post by D.H. » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:32 am

If you require humidification, I'm not sure if there is any great advantage to a "travel" CPAP. Most of them save size by not having this feature.

You may just want to get a battery for your existing machine.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:42 am

I recommend mine.
DeVillBiss Intellipap Autoadjust
The features and feel are so close to my regular machine, that I do not feel deprived.
The 12 volt DC power option is easy and inexpensive to use,
and the humidifier might be needed if your bunk is air conditioned.

jmcanzo

Post by jmcanzo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:40 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I recommend mine.
DeVillBiss Intellipap Autoadjust
The features and feel are so close to my regular machine, that I do not feel deprived.
The 12 volt DC power option is easy and inexpensive to use,
and the humidifier might be needed if your bunk is air conditioned.
I have had my Intellipap for 6 yrs and it is a great machine. I use it as my everyday machine. It will run off 12v. I have a 12v car Jump Start that I use as a battery backup if the power goes out. It was $49 from Harbor Freight and will power it for at least 8 hrs. The HEATED humidifier will not run on 12v. It requires 110v. But you can still use it just not heated,

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:30 pm

I take mine along on the road, even if I have my "good" machine.
Never know when I (or a friend) has a breakdown or forgets an essential part.
Misery is a lousy souvenir.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:34 pm

kilchurn wrote:All,
I've seen tremendous benefit from cpap therapy over the last three years. However, breaking down and packing my set-up for frequent travel is a hassle. I'm going to Africa in 2017 and would like a setup that and has a humidifier and has a backup battery for nights when the camp generators are off. This unit will ultimately be my back-up/travel unit going forward.

If anyone has advice or suggestions, they are welcomed.

Thanks!
Mary
You don't mention which cpap you are currently using? But I would say any that works directly off 12v w/o the overpriced voltage converter that Resmed uses should be OK. For a humidifier that also works off 12V then Respironics cpaps would be my choice. You can pick up a used cpap from Craigslist or this forum even.

Using this equipment before your trip would be wise but if you are still in the compliance phase that will be a problem for you.

Also get and use all of the 12V cable & spare fuses (Incl. battery charger) needed to use your cpap on 12V before you leave. Then find out if you can purchase a 100AH deep cycle battery there or if you can have one mailed there. You can leave the battery behind when you leave.
You should bring a battery charger with you so you know you have that.

If you get any relief at all when using a cpap then packing one for travel should not be a burden. Just sleep a few nites at home w/o to see how you will feel traveling w/o your cpap. Get a carry-on sized suitcase (2nd hand from a consignment shop) to pack everything related to cpap, incl. spare masks, hose, filters, powerstrip, adapters, and any medicine, etc you need.

I would use the battery each night and charge it each day. There are LED lites and USB adapters you can get that work off 12V also. Set your bedroom up for experiments before you launch.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:58 pm

Dear "guest", kilchurn lists an S9 humidifier--EVERY machine that uses that humidifier
requires the very pricy Resmed 24 volt power supply. Nuts to that!

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:10 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Dear "guest", kilchurn lists an S9 humidifier--EVERY machine that uses that humidifier
requires the very pricy Resmed 24 volt power supply. Nuts to that!
Dear "Crankyfrog" how many times have you seen people list their equipment incorrectly?
I was not talking about a humidifier power supply and NOT every cpap mfg charges what Resmed does for the 12V adapter. Perhaps explain why you didn't buy one?

Time for the "Crankyfrog" to get some sleep.

kilchurn

Post by kilchurn » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:30 pm

Thank you for your responses thus far. I have a deep cycle rig that I use when I am camping, although not having the humidifier is a bummer. Because of its size and weight it isn't practical for flying so it is a no go for Africa. As for adapters, the camps we will be staying at run on generators. There will be an opportunity to charge batteries etc during the day, but they the generators are turned off at night (no power available). It sounds like I might have to figure out how to live without the humidifier for Africa.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:44 pm

I think what needs to be pointed out is that ResMed is a 24v machine and with or without the humidifier, they require the ResMed battery adapter. I use my Respironics 60 series which is 12v and they are much easier to set up on battery power. I use a PowerAdd Pilot Pro and it comes with a connector that plugs directly into my CPAP. https://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Pilot-P ... o+32000mAh
I can get 2 nights from the battery but usually recharge daily. Several people have been able to use this battery but some have gotten batteries that didn't work. You would need to be sure and try it before going so if it didn't work you could return. Amazon has a good return policy.
I'm also not sure about airline policy on this battery.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:07 pm

In this case, the poster has been on CPAP for three years, so it's not likely that compliance is an issue. However, that doesn't necessarily apply to anybody else who wants to use a travel machine.

Also, if the original poster gets a new primary machine down the road, she needs to be aware that she won't be "compliant" if she uses a different machine for travel .