Newbie & RampUp

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WahooNKS

Newbie & RampUp

Post by WahooNKS » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:29 pm

Last night was my first night with CPAP (actually APAP I think?) auto. When I initially put on my mask the air pressure seemed so high that I could inhale, but had a hard time exhaling. It made my heart race and I had to open my mouth to let out all the air. I have a RampUp feature on my machine that is set to Auto. Can I initially set this to ramp up over a period so it's not so overwhelming? Personal experiences with this welcome.

Wulfman...

Re: Newbie & RampUp

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:35 pm

WahooNKS wrote:Last night was my first night with CPAP (actually APAP I think?) auto. When I initially put on my mask the air pressure seemed so high that I could inhale, but had a hard time exhaling. It made my heart race and I had to open my mouth to let out all the air. I have a RampUp feature on my machine that is set to Auto. Can I initially set this to ramp up over a period so it's not so overwhelming? Personal experiences with this welcome.
Sure. And, your machine should have "EPR" (exhale relief) that makes it easier to exhale. Lots of variables you can set yourself to make your therapy better. You just need to know how to get into the settings to change them.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

WahooNKS

Post by WahooNKS » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks, Den (Wolfman)! I'm all about the technology/settings that come with this little beast. I will adjust tonite to see if that works for me. This site is wonderful. Seems everything is all about trying this and that to meet personal preferences and needs.

SGearhart

Post by SGearhart » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:45 pm

Yes you can set a ramp-up. . . if it has been enabled in the setup mode. If it hasn't you will need to download the clinician manual to get instructions on enter the setup mode. Not being familiar with the AS10, I'm basing this info on a S9. The unit can be configured to have a ramp of up to 45 minutes and the minimum pressure can also be set. The setup is a 2 step process; 1st you set the parameters in the clinician setup mode. 2nd the user has a setup feature that they may select the ramp time up to the maximum time that was entered in the clinician mode. I don't know your lower pressure but generally a lot of people report a suffocating feeling if it is set to 4. Please post your current pressure settings so it will be easier to answer future questions.

WahooNKS

Post by WahooNKS » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:01 pm

SGearhart wrote:Yes you can set a ramp-up. . . if it has been enabled in the setup mode. If it hasn't you will need to download the clinician manual to get instructions on enter the setup mode. Not being familiar with the AS10, I'm basing this info on a S9. The unit can be configured to have a ramp of up to 45 minutes and the minimum pressure can also be set. The setup is a 2 step process; 1st you set the parameters in the clinician setup mode. 2nd the user has a setup feature that they may select the ramp time up to the maximum time that was entered in the clinician mode. I don't know your lower pressure but generally a lot of people report a suffocating feeling if it is set to 4. Please post your current pressure settings so it will be easier to answer future questions.
SGearhart, thanks for the info. My machine is Auto, so it starts at '4' and then adjusts as needed once I fall asleep. I think you're right that 4 is just too high for me to start out with. I will set ramp up tonite to begin at 2 and ramp up for 30 minutes. That's about how long it takes me to nod off, usually, and then the machine can take over and do it's thang. I think with a lower air pressure setting at the outset, I won't get so anxious and wound up, which then takes me longer to fall asleep. Thanks for all the info!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:11 pm

WahooNKS wrote:
SGearhart wrote:Yes you can set a ramp-up. . . if it has been enabled in the setup mode. If it hasn't you will need to download the clinician manual to get instructions on enter the setup mode. Not being familiar with the AS10, I'm basing this info on a S9. The unit can be configured to have a ramp of up to 45 minutes and the minimum pressure can also be set. The setup is a 2 step process; 1st you set the parameters in the clinician setup mode. 2nd the user has a setup feature that they may select the ramp time up to the maximum time that was entered in the clinician mode. I don't know your lower pressure but generally a lot of people report a suffocating feeling if it is set to 4. Please post your current pressure settings so it will be easier to answer future questions.
SGearhart, thanks for the info. My machine is Auto, so it starts at '4' and then adjusts as needed once I fall asleep. I think you're right that 4 is just too high for me to start out with. I will set ramp up tonite to begin at 2 and ramp up for 30 minutes. That's about how long it takes me to nod off, usually, and then the machine can take over and do it's thang. I think with a lower air pressure setting at the outset, I won't get so anxious and wound up, which then takes me longer to fall asleep. Thanks for all the info!
The setting of 4 cm. is the LOWEST setting these machines can be set to. Some of the older ones or ones from other countries have been known to go as low as 3 cm., but they're few and far between.
Some of us can't even breathe or get enough air at 4 cm.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Ron439

Post by Ron439 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:47 pm

SGearhart wrote:If it hasn't you will need to download the clinician manual to get instructions on enter the setup mode.
Anyone know where to download the clinician manual for the AS10? Just bought this machine and don't know how to set pressures, etc. Thanks!
Posted by Ronnie's wife Cyndi!

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:14 pm

Ron this link is to where you can get the manual by email. Scroll down to the 3rd section for the ones by email.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:02 pm

Here's a couple helpful pages concerning ramp settings and access to clinical menu, hope it helps

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/