Freaking Out

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepypp

Freaking Out

Post by sleepypp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:46 am

I have been on CPAP for over 4 years. I have used an M Series Auto w/A-flex (that I got off Craigslist) for most of that time, but last year I got a new System One with a heated hose. Everything was going well and I was generally feeling quite rested. I quit paying much attention to my AHI and whatnot as it was extremely difficult with Windows 7 to get my software (clinic software that gave me detailed information) and reader to work. Now I have a different machine and only have the visible summary on the machine available to see my therapy.

Anyway... for a week or so lately I was intermittently feeling very tired at work. I did a major adjusting and refitting of my headgear and things seemed to be better. But last Sunday night I woke up at about 3AM in a panic and felt like I couldn't get enough air. It was an extremely disturbing event, but I tried to get situated and go back to sleep. I just had too much anxiety to put the mask back on and I didn't trust the machine. Normally I love my machine and the results. So I went out to the RV and got my old M-Series machine and hooked it up and filled with water and went back to sleep. I think it felt like more air was coming through it. But I was dead tired the next day.

I used my old machine for the next few nights and started feeling back to normal (but would still wake up in the middle of the night feeling anxious from time to time). So I sent a message to my sleep doc and he said take the System One in and have it checked out, which I did. They said it checked out fine. But while there I noticed the AHI reading was 0.0 for the last 1,7,30 days. I brought this to their attention as I normally would not be able to achieve perfect results. I figured there must be something wrong with that so they swapped out my machine for a new one since it was still under warranty. I hooked it up, happy to be back with my new machine but woke up in the middle of the night all freaked out again, and switched mack to my old M-series again. Tried my M-series again last night and woke up in a panic again, feeling anxious and claustrophobic!

I figured it must just be me and my nose has been stuffy lately, so I aired out the bedroom and deep cleaned the carpets and got rid of as much dust and dog hair as possible and have not let the dogs upstairs all day. Re-adjusted my mask and got ready for a nice restful sleep. But now I get anxious/claustrophobic almost immediately.

My prescription setting is auto 11-15 w/aflex and my AHI is normally between .8 and 1.2 averaging 7-8 hours per night. 90% pressure is normally about 13.5. I use a full face mask because I have a full beard my mouth tends to flop open and or I breathe through the mouth sometimes, especially if I'm stuffed up, plus it's all I have ever used.

Now I don't know what to do. I can't even put it on now... Any ideas?

chunkyfrog

Re: Freaking Out

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:38 am

Hi, just some thoughts:
-- maybe the cushion has deteriorated quicker than usual--It can happen.
--Have you seen an ENT about your nasal congestion?--or even congestion further down that you may not really be noticing.
--did you change the filter in your machine?
--would you rule out a mild anti-anxiety med to get you over this hump? (ask your doc)
I hope this gets better.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:58 am

Seconding everything chunkyfrog said.

And adding this: Since you're having trouble dealing with the EncorePro software on your current computer and are checking the data only through the machine's LCD, you might want to download SleepyHead. It won't work with the old M-Series, but it will work with your new System One machine and folks have not reported problems with installing and running SleepyHead on Windows 7 machines. The data card on your System One is an ordinary SD card and any SD card reader (including the one built in to many computers) will work for reading the data.

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:06 am

Chunkyfrog took the words right out of my mouth. My first thought had to do with your full-face cushion as they so often leak when the begin to wear out. Excessive unintentional air leakage from a circuit causes you to not only breath dry air, but may also induce hypopnea (short shallow breathing). When a person becomes hypopnic their oxygen saturation in their blood goes down, but also CO2 is not properly ventilated.

Here's a recent article showing how a build up of CO2 may cause anxiety.
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles. ... e-No-Fear/

You say the full-face mask is all you have ever used. Though your pressure is a little on the high side for nasal pillows mask, you might consider giving one a try. If you do though I'd recommend using it for a little while during the day, concentrating on keeping the tongue on the roof of your mouth.

Good luck.
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:32 pm

I would suggest that you do a few hours of TV watching while wearing your mask and the new machine. You have to persuade your subconscious once again that this a safe thing to do.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:04 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:I would suggest that you do a few hours of TV watching while wearing your mask and the new machine. You have to persuade your subconscious once again that this a safe thing to do.
+1

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:41 pm

Bill44133 wrote:
BlackSpinner wrote:I would suggest that you do a few hours of TV watching while wearing your mask and the new machine. You have to persuade your subconscious once again that this a safe thing to do.

+1

+1 for me as well!!

In my beginning days of PAP therapy it seem that it took my mind (subconscious) longer to figure out what my body probably found out almost instantly, and that is, this therapy for me is a miracle and keeps me from dying in my sleep from untreated SA/OSA and the 74% O2 desats that come with it. For me after at least 15 years of damage and torturous nightly attempts to sleep, this was my chance to once again live... for my friends, family, and myself.

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

sleepypp

Post by sleepypp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 pm

OK, thank you! I will try putting it on today while watching TV and reading.

I think this one event, whatever caused it, has snowballed into a subconscious terror of the mask and breathing in general. Last night was the worst of all, as I discovered I am now also afraid of just falling asleep, machine or not, thinking about how my wife used to wake me up when I would stop breathing. I have never had an issue sticking my face in the mask before because the response was so dramatic and positive from the start. Last night I even tried one of those "nasal pillow" masks and while it did seem to work, crazy things would happen when my mouth would open so that would take some getting used to. Also not sure if I can keep my mouth shut all night long.

I have half a dozen cushions and wash them with mild soap and warm water after each use, but have never had any issues with them. I will throw out the oldest ones and add a brand new one. The thing that I have to replace the most is the head gear, as it seems to loose elasticity after a few months. Money is an issue because my equipment coverage doesn't kick in until I meet my ridiculous deductible. I also trimmed my beard quite a bit shorter today and that usually gets me a better seal. I put in brand new filters just to be sure the first night.

I have an appt. with my sleep MD next month and can also communicate through my-chart.

I already take 10mg Celexa for anxiety, maybe I'll bump up to 15 for a few days...

Thanks for your help. Wearing the system today is a great idea. I really don't think too well without my rest!

Could someone point me in the right direction to find software for the system one? I used to love my old software and seeing exactly what was going on each night. I think with that I could even analyze what exactly happened last Sunday night and maybe put my mind at ease...

Thanks again!

Stacy

sleepypp

Post by sleepypp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:25 pm

I found the sleepy head software, thanks.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:33 pm

sleepypp wrote:OK, thank you! I will try putting it on today while watching TV and reading.

I think this one event, whatever caused it, has snowballed into a subconscious terror of the mask and breathing in general. Last night was the worst of all, as I discovered I am now also afraid of just falling asleep, machine or not, thinking about how my wife used to wake me up when I would stop breathing. I have never had an issue sticking my face in the mask before because the response was so dramatic and positive from the start. Last night I even tried one of those "nasal pillow" masks and while it did seem to work, crazy things would happen when my mouth would open so that would take some getting used to. Also not sure if I can keep my mouth shut all night long.

I have half a dozen cushions and wash them with mild soap and warm water after each use, but have never had any issues with them. I will throw out the oldest ones and add a brand new one. The thing that I have to replace the most is the head gear, as it seems to loose elasticity after a few months. Money is an issue because my equipment coverage doesn't kick in until I meet my ridiculous deductible. I also trimmed my beard quite a bit shorter today and that usually gets me a better seal. I put in brand new filters just to be sure the first night.

I have an appt. with my sleep MD next month and can also communicate through my-chart.

I already take 10mg Celexa for anxiety, maybe I'll bump up to 15 for a few days...

Thanks for your help. Wearing the system today is a great idea. I really don't think too well without my rest!

Could someone point me in the right direction to find software for the system one? I used to love my old software and seeing exactly what was going on each night. I think with that I could even analyze what exactly happened last Sunday night and maybe put my mind at ease...

Thanks again!

Stacy
If you are using the Quattro, the cushions last a long time. You say you have a half dozen and wash them regularly. I have been using the same cushion for almost 8 months and rarely wash it. I find that the new ones are stiff while the older they get, they seal better. I agree with wearing the mask while you are awake for a while. My head gear and mask is about 18 months old.
Last edited by LSAT on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Saw somebody post recently about a certain machine that is known to have a glitch and get stuck reporting zero AHI. Didn't pay it much attention as I don't have the machine in question but maybe someone reading this can say if that's the same one you had trouble with. If I remember correctly there's a way to reboot it.

Maybe looking at your data and graphs will give you some clues. Dealing with the unknown is usually scarier than the facts. Hope you can find some peace again about sleeping with the machine. Have you considered trying a straight pressure just in case the small climb of your range is just enough to let stressful events be an issue? I'd be curious too about your leaks, and the duration of your events. Even if they are few in number, their duration might make them problematic. Let us know how this progresses.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:44 pm

I think this one event, whatever caused it, has snowballed into a subconscious terror of the mask and breathing in general
Yes our minds are funny things.
I fell of a horse ONCE and only was bruised. Do you think I could get back on it and ride? No it took me weeks of deep breathing, relaxation techniques and determination not to show my 9 year old her mother was a failure, to get back on that horse without fear and ride it again. Because that bloody horse knew I was scared and ignored me.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

sleepypp

Post by sleepypp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks.

Looking at the data for that night, there was an "event" of some sort right before I woke up and turned off the machine. AHI went up to 2.0 for the hour before. Volumes and flow rates spiked right before. No data for 5 minutes then very erratic readings for the next five minutes before I finally turned it off.

My leak rate is consistent with what is expected for my mask, but total leaks looks to have gone up slightly since November.

My average AHI over the last 4 months is .82, sessions are 7:54. PB is 0.21%.

It's so nice to have data again! I feel better all ready.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know what happens.

Stacy

sleepypp

Post by sleepypp » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:12 pm

I watched TV and read with the mask (and machine) on for about 3 hours last night until about 9:00 PM. No issues really, felt fine. Almost dozed off a few times. Tried again right before bedtime at about 11PM and felt really uncomfortable and took it off. Drank some peppermint tea with camomile, half a melatonin and an ibuprofen tablet, super drowsy but still having major issues keeping the mask on. Finally got some sleep and therapy at 3:00 AM. Awoke at 6AM. Well... three hours is an improvement ... but extremely tired.

Trying to get a hold of the doctor today

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:11 pm

sleepypp wrote:I watched TV and read with the mask (and machine) on for about 3 hours last night until about 9:00 PM. No issues really, felt fine. Almost dozed off a few times. Tried again right before bedtime at about 11PM and felt really uncomfortable and took it off. Drank some peppermint tea with camomile, half a melatonin and an ibuprofen tablet, super drowsy but still having major issues keeping the mask on. Finally got some sleep and therapy at 3:00 AM. Awoke at 6AM. Well... three hours is an improvement ... but extremely tired.

Trying to get a hold of the doctor today
Keep repeating. Although a bad experience seems to implement right away, changing it takes time and repetition.