keeping your mouth closed while sleeping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hbananas

Re: keeping your mouth closed while sleeping

Post by hbananas » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

I upgraded my mouth guard "internal chin strap". I sacrificed a third night guard to get enough of the soft material to permanently glue the upper and lower guards together. Most of the holding strength is in the excess material where the tongue goes, and the excess smooshed out to the roof of my mouth. Now I won't have to mess with the denture adhesive.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset w/ HumidAir integrated humidifier; Rx Pressure 11; Swift FX for Her; Missouri

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:31 pm

This subject line almost made me laugh. For a year and half I've been trying to keep my mouth closed with my Swift FX and Wisp nasal systems. Recently I've been trying a Quattro Mirage FFM and I can't seem to keep my mouth open even a bit so that the therapy pressure can equalize in my nasal passages and mouth. Re: Chipmunk Cheeks. My brain seems to be confused between keeping my mouth open or closed, plus my sinuses are clogging up - hence my efforts to keep my mouth open a bit. I tried tape and a little tubing but no real luck yet. Any suggestions would be helpful, especially on preventing a Sahara dry mouth with a FFM.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

fmj13

Post by fmj13 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:43 pm

How do I know whether I should get the regular or extra large ruby red chin strap? I measured my head around the way you do for hat size and it is 22".

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Send them an email and ask about measuring... I'm sure they'll have some advice.

fmj13

Post by fmj13 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:23 pm

Julie wrote:Send them an email and ask about measuring... I'm sure they'll have some advice.
What's the company's website?

NateS

Post by NateS » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:34 pm

RogerSC wrote:
merhaba12 wrote:When I first started CPAP I was a mouth breather so I purchased the Ruby chinstrap. I hated using it so I tried a recommendation from one of the forum members. I put the end of my tongue behind the back of my upper teeth. I practised this all day and now it is habit. Perhaps this technique is what keeps my mouth closed during the night. I just know that I no longer need the chin strap and only on occasion do I wake up with dry mouth!
Actually, the interesting thing is that if you can train yourself do the "tongue on the roof of mouth behind front teeth" while you're sleeping, it doesn't matter if you open your mouth or not, your tongue is blocking the air flow that's keeping your airway open from coming out of your mouth...Who knew *smile*?
Yes, I've been practicing, training myself to do that with my tongue since December of 2011. I'm trying to be very patient, 'cause it hasn't worked yet.

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:44 pm

NateS wrote:
RogerSC wrote:
merhaba12 wrote:When I first started CPAP I was a mouth breather so I purchased the Ruby chinstrap. I hated using it so I tried a recommendation from one of the forum members. I put the end of my tongue behind the back of my upper teeth. I practised this all day and now it is habit. Perhaps this technique is what keeps my mouth closed during the night. I just know that I no longer need the chin strap and only on occasion do I wake up with dry mouth!
Actually, the interesting thing is that if you can train yourself do the "tongue on the roof of mouth behind front teeth" while you're sleeping, it doesn't matter if you open your mouth or not, your tongue is blocking the air flow that's keeping your airway open from coming out of your mouth...Who knew *smile*?
Yes, I've been practicing, training myself to do that with my tongue since December of 2011. I'm trying to be very patient, 'cause it hasn't worked yet.

Regards, Nate
Nate, I too have been 'in training' this past year and I've pretty much mastered the technique, but even with my tongue firmly holding on up there, if my mouth opens even a little I'll get dry mouth. I guess my tongue doesn't completely block the air flow, though the technique has saved me from aerophagia.
*p.s., I thought for the longest time that your avatar was really a picture of you.

GrandmaC

Post by GrandmaC » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:41 am

I tried going with a full face mask but I'm having problems with leaks on the one I have now. A few years ago, I experienced claustrophobia with a full face mask. The new ResMed Quattro FX Full Face Mask and I don't have the claustrophobia problem but I'm having too many leaks. I ordered a smaller size mask hoping that will take care of the leaks but in the meantime, I'm using a chin strap that I got from Amazon. You can probably get it from other carriers, too. I have tried other chin straps and they weren't as comfortable for me as this one is. I look like Mrs. Marley with it on, but it's simple and soft. The first one I ordered was too small. Then I read some of the reviews and noticed they run a little small so I ordered size large.

http://www.amazon.com/Avalon-Aire-Super ... chin+strap

I sleep a lot better with a full face mask than I do with the chin strap except for the leaks. I'm hoping the smaller size maks will solve the leak problem.

apw5746

Post by apw5746 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Kiralynx wrote:
springman946 wrote:how do I keep my mouth closed while I am sleeping I dont want to have to use a chin strap I still wake up once in a while even thought I am using my cpap
Being claustrophobic, the idea of a full faced mask smothering me, trapping me, was too hideous to contemplate. I used the Comfortlite 2 mask, but was waking up with dry mouth. I investigated chin straps, and since I was already having trouble with the amsk, the idea of wrapping my head in an ace bandage was really hideous -- too hot to contemplate.

So I invented my own -- a "brandy keg" of a 4" foam cylinder and a narrow strap, and now sleep just fine.
I too am super claustrophobic. Attempted to use a full face mask during my last sleep study (September 2013), but couldn't wear it. Since joining this forum yesterday, I downloaded SleepyHead, and have been reviewing my sleep patterns. My AHI was through the roof last night - 28.4! I've got a chin strap and will try to use it tonight along with my pillows system. However, I'm very interested in what you made. If the strap I have doesn't work, can I PM you and get a picture of what you made?

I've had obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) since my teens. About 20 years ago had my first sleep study, and was fitted with a mask that covered my nose and mouth. In the morning I felt great. Best night's sleep I've ever had in my life. Being in a controlled atmosphere did the trick. However, once home I could never adapt to using a CPAP, and quickly abandoned the thing. My latest sleep study only confirmed what I've known for years. Chronic OSA big time. Again I was prescribed a CPAP machine. Since I'm on Medicare now, I had to use it an average of 4 hours a night in order for Social Security to pay for it. I've finally adjusted to a CPAP.

I've had a CPAP, CPAP with CFLEX, and BIPAP. The ResMed S9 AutoSet is the absolute best, for me!. I've also had UPPP done with a laser. For those who haven't done it - forget it. I have a gag rate that would make a sailor blush. The doctor removed my uvula, and most soft tissue on both sides. The only difference is I no longer have a uvula, or what kids call a small punching bag, in addition to having a huge opening in the back of the mouth.

While I've had OSA all my, sleep with my mouth open at night, never used the mouth guard to stop grinding my teeth while sleeping, and not used CPAP to help with my apnea, at last seen the light. Not all of it, but enough to make me want to adjust some.

If anyone happens to reply to this post, don't mention trying to tape my mouth shut. I've had facial hair for 50 plus years and am not going to shave it off.

Pat.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:49 pm

kaiasgram wrote: *p.s., I thought for the longest time that your avatar was really a picture of you.
It ain't?

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:59 pm

poppi2 wrote:
kaiasgram wrote:
*p.s., I thought for the longest time that your avatar was really a picture of you.

It ain't?

I second that! I thought it was a picture of Nate S, boy do I feel silly . Next thing you are going to tell me is that CF is really not a cute little frog . I need to go sit down now as I am really confused and need time to work this whole avatar picture scam out... where will it all end .

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:23 pm

2 B Sleeping Soundly wrote:
poppi2 wrote:
kaiasgram wrote:

It ain't?

I second that! I thought it was a picture of Nate S, boy do I feel silly . Next thing you are going to tell me is that CF is really not a cute little frog . I need to go sit down now as I am really confused and need time to work this whole avatar picture scam out... where will it all end .

John
Uh, John, you see the irony in your confusion, don't you?

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:51 pm

kaiasgram wrote:
2 B Sleeping Soundly wrote:
poppi2 wrote:
kaiasgram wrote:

It ain't?

John

Uh, John, you see the irony in your confusion, don't you?

No, because my avatar was taken by my wife while we were on vacation (obviously pre PAP therapy as I could not stay awake). I have since gone through an extensive hair removal process that transformed my appearance to look more human .

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

Jeannh

Post by Jeannh » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:02 pm

Taping your lips don't stop air from entering your mouth from the nose and throat, i.e. from the "back side" (pharynx). When you swallow your saliva which is generated in the salivary glands around the mouth, and then you swallow it (also during sleep), air must come in from the back to replace the swallowed saliva's volume because your lips are taped closed and air can't come in from the front to do it. So this air circulation, from the "back side", will dry your mouth in spite of taping it. It could be to a lesser degree than from an untaped mouth also b/c the air from the pharynx is moister. It is clear that taping your mouth to prevent a Dry Mouth, completely, is not true. It seems to be a myth.... There is no way to prevent some air going thru your mouth.

You're better off with a Chinstrap which would prevent opening the mouth very wide but would allow some lips opening to let air to be breathed from the front. However, using a Chinstrap instead of a full face mask would cause the XPAP's treatment to be effected.
Thank you!! Taping does nothing for my dry mouth, and I could never articulate how that could be! I'll try Chin-up Strips for a few nights, and if it affects my therapy, FFM here I come...

star444

Post by star444 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:21 pm

apw5746 wrote: I too am super claustrophobic. Attempted to use a full face mask during my last sleep study (September 2013), but couldn't wear it. Since joining this forum yesterday, I downloaded SleepyHead, and have been reviewing my sleep patterns. My AHI was through the roof last night - 28.4! I've got a chin strap and will try to use it tonight along with my pillows system. However, I'm very interested in what you made. If the strap I have doesn't work, can I PM you and get a picture of what you made?

I've had obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) since my teens. About 20 years ago had my first sleep study, and was fitted with a mask that covered my nose and mouth. In the morning I felt great. Best night's sleep I've ever had in my life. Being in a controlled atmosphere did the trick. However, once home I could never adapt to using a CPAP, and quickly abandoned the thing. My latest sleep study only confirmed what I've known for years. Chronic OSA big time. Again I was prescribed a CPAP machine. Since I'm on Medicare now, I had to use it an average of 4 hours a night in order for Social Security to pay for it. I've finally adjusted to a CPAP.

I've had a CPAP, CPAP with CFLEX, and BIPAP. The ResMed S9 AutoSet is the absolute best, for me!. I've also had UPPP done with a laser. For those who haven't done it - forget it. I have a gag rate that would make a sailor blush. The doctor removed my uvula, and most soft tissue on both sides. The only difference is I no longer have a uvula, or what kids call a small punching bag, in addition to having a huge opening in the back of the mouth.

While I've had OSA all my, sleep with my mouth open at night, never used the mouth guard to stop grinding my teeth while sleeping, and not used CPAP to help with my apnea, at last seen the light. Not all of it, but enough to make me want to adjust some.

If anyone happens to reply to this post, don't mention trying to tape my mouth shut. I've had facial hair for 50 plus years and am not going to shave it off.

Pat.
You mentioned needing a mouth guard to stop you from grinding your teeth at night... that just might be what you need to stop mouth-breathing at night. Many people here use a mouth guard at night to help them keep their mouth closed. You might be able to "kill two birds with one stone". --- How nice would that be?!

Another thing, I too am claustrophobic and have had problems using a full-face mask. However, I now successfully use the SleepWeaver Anew full-face mask without even the slightest feelings of claustrophobia. That is because the SleepWeaver is made from cloth instead of plastic. It is a completely different ballgame. The manufacturer offers a 30-day money back guarantee so you could try it "risk free".

Sleep Study AHI = 70.5