Worried about inhaling filter fibers?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jbt1125

Worried about inhaling filter fibers?

Post by jbt1125 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:35 pm

The fibers in my filter seem to be coming loose. It is "fluffier" than when new and some of the fibers look like they could easily come off. I am going to order more tomorrow but worried about using my cpap tonight. The filters look like they could break loose potentially and end up in my lungs. Is this possible? Anyone know what I am talking about or have experience with this? Thanks!

I use Resmed S9

ughwhatname

Re: Worried about inhaling filter fibers?

Post by ughwhatname » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:40 pm

I've never worried about it, but if you're concerned you can always remove the filter until you get a replacement.

jbt1125

Post by jbt1125 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:51 pm

Thanks. I wasn't aware that not using the filter was an option...

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:56 pm

I don't know this for certain, but I've read that the filter is more designed to protect the inside of the machine that it is to protect our lungs.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:58 pm

I agree with ugwhatname. It sounds like you are talking about the white fine particulate filter which can be used or not as the user desires. I would just remove the offending white filter and use only the foam filter (mine is grey for my PR System One machine) until you get replacements. Certainly do not skip using your PAP machine tonight (or any night), especially just because there are issues with the filters. Your health is much more important than that!

When you order the filters make sure to get extras, even if you have to order them out of pocket. It is always good to have extra or back-up items on hand for peace of mind and peaceful PAP sleep .

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:06 am

2 B Sleeping Soundly wrote:I agree with ugwhatname. It sounds like you are talking about the white fine particulate filter which can be used or not as the user desires. I would just remove the offending white filter and use only the foam filter (mine is grey for my PR System One machine) until you get replacements.
The PR System One you use had both the gray washable filter and a white paper filter. But the OP uses a Resmed S9, and those machines do NOT have a washable filter---they only have a white paper filter.

To the OP: Using the S9 for a night or two without the filter probably won't do any serious damage to the inside of the machine. But it's a bad idea ot do that on a regular basis since you do need a filter in place to protect the machine. 2 B Sleeping Soundly's suggestion of ordering spare filters before you run out is a good one. That way you can change it whenever you think there's a need.

Jtrichel

Post by Jtrichel » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:53 pm

So is the filter protecting the machine or protecting my lungs?

SleepyBobR

Post by SleepyBobR » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:38 pm

It's protecting the machine. You'd be breathing exactly the same air without your machine. Your nasal passages are fully capable of filtering out dust and whatnot in normal household air. Without the filter, the inside of the machine would eventually fill up with dust. Look inside your computer sometime to see the effect. Most of them are full of dust.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:55 pm

No. They are fine, fuzzy or not.

The filters are designed to be breathed through and are not harmful. Even if you ground the filters to dust and inhaled the fibers, they are not harmful and certainly not carcinogenic or whatnot. I believe they are polyester. Some are also listed as being made of 'non-woven acrylic and polypropylene fibers with a polypropylene carrier.' (Although just to be sure of quality standards, I would prefer name brand or US-made generic filters over Chinese knock offs.)

Really, you'll be fine. Now breathe deeply and count backwards from one hundred.

Sleep well.

jbt1125

Post by jbt1125 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:16 pm

hyperlexis wrote:No. They are fine, fuzzy or not.

The filters are designed to be breathed through and are not harmful. Even if you ground the filters to dust and inhaled the fibers, they are not harmful and certainly not carcinogenic or whatnot. I believe they are polyester. Some are also listed as being made of 'non-woven acrylic and polypropylene fibers with a polypropylene carrier.' (Although just to be sure of quality standards, I would prefer name brand or US-made generic filters over Chinese knock offs.)

Really, you'll be fine. Now breathe deeply and count backwards from one hundred.

Sleep well.
My biggest concern was the fibers coming off and inhaling them, because they look frazzled enough to break loose. Who would have thought that it was not harmful to inhale polyster/acrylic/polypropylene fibers into your lungs?

My authorized dealer was closed today since Sunday so couldnt get a new filter yet. I think I will just take my chances, or remove it altogether if it is truly there to protect the machine and not my lungs...

thanks all

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:45 pm

That's why your body makes mucus. It's a natural "filter" capable of catching particles much smaller than the fibers you are worried about.

You might think it's ineffective, but it's SNOT! yuk yuk yuk

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:11 pm

jbt1125 wrote:
hyperlexis wrote:No. They are fine, fuzzy or not.

Sleep well.
My biggest concern was the fibers coming off and inhaling them, because they look frazzled enough to break loose. Who would have thought that it was not harmful to inhale polyster/acrylic/polypropylene fibers into your lungs?

My authorized dealer was closed today since Sunday so couldnt get a new filter yet. I think I will just take my chances, or remove it altogether if it is truly there to protect the machine and not my lungs...

thanks all
Fortunately the polyester/acrylic fibers are not harmful if inhaled, that's the whole point. They are not asbestos, nor are they fiberglass, and the amount in the filter is miniscule.

The filters are supposed to be replaced monthly, but they all are of the same design so the appearance shouldn't be much different.

The white filters are the fine filter allergy filters -- they are not there to protect the lungs, just to filter out allergens. The coarse foam filter is for dust.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:54 pm

hyperlexis wrote: The white filters are the fine filter allergy filters -- they are not there to protect the lungs, just to filter out allergens. The coarse foam filter is for dust.
The Resmed S9 does NOT have a coarse foam filter; it only has the white paper fine filter.

The PR System One machines do have both a coarse foam filter and an (optional) white paper fine filter.

jbt1125

Post by jbt1125 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:20 pm

robysue wrote:
hyperlexis wrote: The white filters are the fine filter allergy filters -- they are not there to protect the lungs, just to filter out allergens. The coarse foam filter is for dust.
The Resmed S9 does NOT have a coarse foam filter; it only has the white paper fine filter.

The PR System One machines do have both a coarse foam filter and an (optional) white paper fine filter.
That's right... I have the S9 and all it has is the white square fine filter at the back of the machine. I have replaced them monthly up to this point, I am just a little beind and the filter doesnt look dirty, it is very white, but the fibers have begun to whisp loose/separate in some spots...

What I am taking away from this thread is to leave the filter on, even though I may inhale some of the fibers of they come loose into the machine.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Unless you have serious pulmonary issues, or are a very heavy smoker, the fibers are harmless.