questions about OA, CA, masks, meds, and leaks!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bayourest

questions about OA, CA, masks, meds, and leaks!

Post by bayourest » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:06 am

Hello,
Ive been on cpap for 3 yrs. I've used a FFM but I've been increasingly unhappy with it and 10 days ago I changed to swift FX for her. My doctor also changed my pressure to cpap 10 (whereas I had set it to apap maybe 11-14)
I'm ok with the need for an experimentation/acclimation period and I've been trying xs and s nasal pillows. Seems like the xs are a better fit for me.
What I've noticed is that my AHI is a lot higher with this set of conditions and I am willing to chalk that up at least partially to my need to adjust. But the CAs really seem to have increased. Would nasal pillows vs ffm cause that? also I'm still getting a fair amt of leakage on my detailed data. Last night I felt that I had the pillows well seated and they seemed that way all night to me. I never woke up to whistling etc. and they seemed fine in the a m. Actually last night seemed to be the best night yet. Leaks were median 0, 95% 14.4, max 25.2 OA 1.5 CA 1.4 ahi was 3.1 (no complaints... the night before it was AHI 8.4 with tons of leaks, OA 2.2, CA 6.1, but using pillows size s).
so one change is the mask, and trying to get used to that, and the other is the pressure (may go back to apap and set it 9-11).
Does anyone have a sense of the effect of sleep meds on centrals?
I've recently been prescribed Temazipam 15 mg which works for me in terms of staying asleep (not so much for onset of sleep) and last night I tried ambien 5 mg, I should note that I take sleep meds 0-3 x per week. Not every night.
Just wondering about sleep meds and centrals and about controlling leaks with nasal pillows. What to do about leak %? Maybe I opened my mouth for a couple of big leaks?
thanks for your thoughts

Pugsy

Re: questions about OA, CA, masks, meds, and leaks!

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:29 am

Can you post an image of last night's report and the prior night... so we can see what you are seeing?

The leaks are very possibly mouth opening leaks... The centrals might be post arousal centrals if the leaks, or something else, is maybe causing little mini awakenings or maybe some awake time you might or might not remember. Or maybe they are mainly at the beginning or end of the night where you might be still awake.
If you are having a few more OAs because of the fixed lower 10 cm pressure...those OAs could also maybe cause a post arousal central.

When doing the detailed report images...if using SleepyHead...turn off the mask pressure and AHI graph so that the leak comes into view. We don't need them. To turn them off go to Preferences..graphs tab and remove check mark.

If most of your reports are like last night...I wouldn't worry at all.
We all have bad nights now and then and simply don't know why.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:15 am

i will try to post the graphs

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:41 am

i am unable to capture all the data on one screen
I've used the snipping tool but can't get it all in so that you can see it all on ResScan
in the meantime I'm trying to access photobucket but cant seem to access it
I guess I'll have to set up some new photobucket acct to get the data there.
It probably will be later or this evening before I can fool around with it again.
I'm so sorry for the inconvenience