We've got it good with distilled water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
davelikesbeer

We've got it good with distilled water

Post by davelikesbeer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:16 am

I went on a business trip to Sydney. I brought my CPAP flask filled with water, so I wasn't in urgent need of distilled water and it's a good thing I did.

First, it's not as available there as here. The supermarkets don't seem to carry it. The Chemist stores (Pharmacies) do carry it. However, the place closest to my hotel wanted more than $18 for a four liter bottle.

I went on a hunt and decided to check out Woolworth's. They had demineralized water for about $2 for 1.5 liters. I thought that'd be good enough. When I got back to my room and read the label, it said specifically not to be used in therapeutic devices or to be drank. I figured this had more to do with potential bacteria than anything else, so I figured I'd just boil it first to kill anything in it.

Later, I went by another Chemist shop in Chinatown. There, they had a four liter bottle for $5.40. Since it wasn't terribly expensive, I decided to buy that and not use the demineralized water.

Anyhow, even comparing the cheap jug, we have it made. I rarely pay more than $1.29 for a gallon and usually manage to get it on sale for $99.

Dave.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: We've got it good with distilled water

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:09 am

Odd, you would wonder what they put in their car batteries. (instead of distilled water)

jmcanzo

Post by jmcanzo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:14 am

$.89 a gallon everyday here in Michigan @ Kroger

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Odd, you would wonder what they put in their car batteries. (instead of distilled water)
As having a master mechanic for 45 working years, I have never seen anyone in the profession use distilled water in a battery. Modern batteries seldom require water, unless they are abused. Not that distilled wouldn't be better, but it would be hard to measure any gain in their lifespan. many batteries are sealed so water can't be added, probably more damage is done in filling the batteries. One of the better things you can do for your battery, is to keep it clean and put a couple of drops of oil on the terminals to worse moisture away. Keeping the charging voltage between 13.8 to 14.4 d/c keeps the battery healthy. Jim

The one time I did use distilled water to fill a battery was in the Army in Vietnam. We had a glass jug of acid and I had to mix it with distilled water to lower it's gravity time 135 s gr, to adjust for the high working temps. Unlike in the states, batteries were hard to acquire, so we made everything work thAt we could save. Your tax dollars at work!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Oops, I just revealed how old I am.
Oh, look, was that an eohippus?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:38 pm

Distilled water is only recommended to prevent mineral build up. Any water safe for drinking will do. Most cheap distilled is simply demineralized water.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:57 pm

When I lived in Sydney (I'm an Aussie native), I bought distilled water from the hardware store. I didn't use it for XPAP back then, just for my iron. It must've been pretty cheap, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered LOL.

Cheers,
xena

lullaby

Post by lullaby » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:03 pm

You obviously didn't look hard enough when you were in Woolworths. They stock 10 litre casks of distilled water for $7.99!

ddk

Post by ddk » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Two things.

First thing is that Australia in general actually has quite a high quality of tap water. With the exception of Adelaide. Although even then I vaguely recall that they did something about that as it used to be really crappy. So why bother with distilled?

Second thing is... what the hell is a gallon? Was there a supernova nearby and our galaxy travelled back a hundred years?

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:49 pm

sure, those aussies get universal health care and outlive americans by over 40 months on average but we have cheaper distilled water - so we WIN! we're number ONE, we're number ONE, we're number ONE

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:00 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Oops, I just revealed how old I am.
Oh, look, was that an eohippus?
You are not old unless you water your horses with distilled water. At work our tires are (supposed) to be kept aired up with nitrogen. It's to keep the tire from oxidizing, at $3, 000 per tire, they worry a lot. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Our horses enjoyed artesian water, as did we.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:20 pm

davelikesbeer wrote:First, it's not as available there as here. The supermarkets don't seem to carry it.
I now use Sydney tap water in my humidifier and just dump it out every few days when I refill it. It takes several months for even the slightest calcium deposit to appear... and that goes in a seconds with a white vinegar rinse.

The demineralised water is intended for domestic steam irons and similar devices.

Cheers,

Bill

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:32 pm

Distilled water fortunately costs $.88/gal at our local Wal-Mart. Probably costs more in Australia because water may simply be more costly in that country to begin with. (Think us, in five years when we have an unending drought....).

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:52 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Our horses enjoyed artesian water, as did we.
As youngster I spent time on my uncles farm, we'd harness the work horses to a mud sled with two 55 gal barrels and drive them to a spring and back to the barn for livestock water, we had a dug well with the best water for drinking.

The old ways were the best ways, but we were in good shape then. He had 360 acres, no electric no tractor, but had Ford model A, I never did see it run. Jim