can't lie down without my cpap now

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
FeelingBetter

can't lie down without my cpap now

Post by FeelingBetter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 am

I have been on CPAP for 2 years, consistently. I never miss even an hour of a night or a nap. However, a while back my husband was sick with a high fever and very confused. Needless to say, we were up and down every little vit that night so i got tired of putting my cpap on, taking it off, putting it on..... So I tried to lay down without it. It literally fealt like I could not make my chest rise to breathe, like there was a vunch of foam in my lungs. So needless to say, I had to put it back on. This morning my nose was so stuffy that I took it off, and the same thing happened. Anyone else with a similar experience?

Andesgal

Re: can't lie down without my cpap now

Post by Andesgal » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:09 am

HI,
I've used a CPAP since Dec. 11 2012 and like you I have not slept even one minute without it since I got it.

I was already having trouble lying down and relaxing before the CPAP==the CPAP has been amazing in that it lets me relax my chest muscles and breathe easily.

But now I've noticed that if I lie down without the CPAP, within 5 minutes I feel like I'm suffocating. My sleep apnea is all Hypopnias with an occurrence of 8 per minute--a very mild sleep apnea.

My heart is fine, my lungs are fine. I have constant dyspnea ALL the time (I call it "funky" breathing)...for 6 months now.

We have done many, many tests and can't get any diagnosis. Our last idea was perhaps acid reflux, although I don't have any of the normal symptoms. However, with my current breathing I can't do the PH test or Endoscopy...

I keep thinking that perhaps the fact that I can't lie down and breathe well without the CPAP, but I can with the CPAP, might be a clue as to what my problem is...did you ever find out anything?

Stormynights

Re: can't lie down without my cpap now

Post by Stormynights » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:22 am

I had an EGD last week and they told me to bring my Machine. I did but I didn't use it. I had to get up as soon as I woke up. I felt like I was suffocating. I got out of there real quick. I should have had my machine setup but I didn't think I would need it. If I had been spending the night I would have expected to need it but not for a 20 minute snooze.