Not adjusting to Cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BigTex

Re: Not adjusting to Cpap

Post by BigTex » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:23 pm

Lizistired wrote:Don't screw with your pressure until you sort out the "comfort features".
What is your ramp set at? If your pressure is 8, you probably don't need ramp anymore. If you can, turn it off or set it for 10-15 minutes.
What is your EPR set at?
DME's typically set it at 3, which reduces your pressure on exhale by 3. Duh. OK, I know why they do it. Compliance is job #1 for them.
Many of us don't need it and it often makes you feel like the machine is telling you when you breathe. This little feature screwed me up for 6 weeks until I finally turned it off.
Try it at 1 or 0 and see if you need it at all. If you do, you can increase it.
Pressure is at 8
Ramp is already off.
I am pretty sure EPR is set at 3.

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:24 pm

BigTex wrote:Its been over a week.

I will fall a sleep with the mask on, wake up take it off.
Wake up again, put it back on.
Wake up take it off.
That seems to be the pattern so far.

After 9 nights on Cpap I am pretty much worn out.
This pattern of allowing yourself to take the mask off and then return to sleep is most likely one of the major factors in your adjustment problems. Every time you allow yourself to fall asleep without the mask on your nose, you allow a primitive part of your conscious mind, your unconscious mind, and your body to continue to believe that the CPAP machine is not really necessary and that if they are stubborn enough you'll give in and the necessity for doing something unpleasant will simply go away. In other words, there's some part of your mind (either conscious or unconscious) and your body that is behaving like an unruly two-year old and it's your job to not give in and let the two year old have what they want just because they're throwing a fit.

So you need to work on breaking this pattern of non-use as soon as possible. My advice? Never consciously allow yourself to fall asleep without the mask on. If you wake up and cannot stand to have the thing on your face for one more minute, force yourself to get out of bed when you take the mask off. Go to a different room and settle yourself down and relax. Only return to your bed when you are both calm enough and sleepy enough to mask up when you go back to bed. That's the only way of not rewarding your unconscious mind and your body for waking you up to take the mask off to get back to sleep without the mask on.

I am concerned this will not work for me and I am concerned I am not using the mask enough to be compliant with the insurance company.
This pretty much sucks.
Attitude is important: If you convince yourself that CPAP can't work, then it won't work in the sense that you won't wear it enough for it to actually do you some good.

As for using the machine enough for the insurance company's definition of compliance: First, contact your insurance company and learn the rules from them. Chances are the rules are something along the lines of at least four hours a night on at least 70% of the nights during the first 30 (or 60 or 90) days.. And chances are if you got off to a really rough start (because of bad choices of masks, etc.), a note from your doctor speaking to your continuing improvement with compliance AND the medical necessity of your becoming compliant may be enough to get you a grace period of a month.
During the sleep study they went up to 12 for the pressure but doc told me to use 8.
I am wondering if this is not enough using a full face mask.

Should I up the pressure?
This is a concern. Your signature shows that you are using an S9 Elite, which is a full efficacy data machine. So what does the data say? In the nine days you've used the machine, what do your AHI's typically run? And how are the leaks?

Let's tackle leaks first: The S9 records only excess or unintentional leaks. In an ideal world, your leak rate would be 0 L/min all night long. However, it is not realistic to expect an unintentional leak rate of 0 L/min for the entire night on a regular basis. The Resmed engineers know this. According to the stuff that Resmed has put out, Resmed believes the S9 can compensate for leaks that are under 24 L/min. For leaks that are greater than 24 L/min, the length of the leak is also imoportant. Mr. Red Frowny Face shows up in the short version of the Sleep Quality report on the S9's LCD when your leak rate is AT or ABOVE 24 L/min for at least 30% of the night. And Mr. Red Frown Face indicates that the Resmed engineers believe that your leaks are both LARGE enough and LONG enough to cause problems with the efficacy of your therapy and/or the data recorded by the machine.

On the two nights you've posted data for, the summary data for the leaks indicates that Mr. Green Smiley Face is showing up on your Sleep Quality Report. You still might want to look at the leak line itself. To my eye, the leak line on the two nights of data you posted indicate that you do have some periods where the leaks are bouncing all over, but they stay below the Red line of 24 L/min most of the time. Significantly, the periods of "bad leaks" occur right before you turn the machine off and right after you turn the machine on. And that raises two key questions about just the leaks:

1) Are leaks waking you up? You say that you're waking up "gasping for air several times" during the night. But is it possible that leaks are what might be causing you to stir and then when you are in a half-awake stage that some part of your mind begins to panic because there's this THING on your FACE and a six foot monster hose attache to your nose? And the panic then triggers the gasping for breath? And the gasping for breath then wakes you to full consciousness?

2) Are leaks keeping you from getting comfortable enough to get to sleep? In the limited data you've provided there are numerous "short" sessions of less than an hour in length. Is it possible that you never really got to sleep during these sessions? In other words, are you spending a long time dozing (being awake or in Stage 1 sleep) with the mask and then deciding to tear the mask off so you can finally get to Stage 2 sleep?

I raise these issues because it seems to me that if the leaks are what leads you to take off the mask, then you need to fix the leaks that are irritating to you---even though they appear to be "small enough" to not affect the efficacy of your therapy in the sense that they stay below 24 L/min.

And in looking at the limited data, it also appears that the worst of the clusters of events occur during these "bad leak" periods.

So lets examine your AHI data in more detail. As a general rule, PAP therapy is considered "effective" if your AHI with the machine is consistently less than 5. But in the data you provide, your AHI is significantly higher than expected on Tuesday night (AHI = 28.94 in a bit less than 2 hours of use) and higher than expected on Monday night (10.73 in about 5.7 hours of use). If these AHI's are typical of what you've seen every time you've tried to use the machine, then you need to call the doc back and find out why the heck he prescribed 8cm when the titration study had you up at pressures as high as 12cm. Have you got copies of your sleep study results? If not, you need to get them---both the doc's dictation AND the full summary data including summary graphs. There may be something in the titration report that explains why your doc prescribed 8cm of pressure. Then again, there might not be anything there.

As I noted above, it appears that your worst AHI clusters are correlated to periods where your leaks are bouncing around pretty significantly, but staying below the Red LIne of 24 L/min for the most part. Do you remember struggling with leak issues during any of these time frames? You've expressed your dissatisfaction with the masks you've tried. Is part of that dissatisfaction due to leaks waking you up or keeping you from getting to sleep? If so, you've got more mask shopping to do. It's important to not get discouraged. Folks who need FFM seem to have a tougher time than the rest of us, but from what I've read, there are very real differences in how FFM actually fit on a person's individual face even when the masks look very similar to each other. So a trip back to the DME, as frustrating as that might be, is in order. Also, since you're currently trying out a Quattro FX, you should read through JanKnitz's Taming the Mirage Quattro. While the Mirage Quattro and the Quattro FX are not the same mask, a lot of the same fitting tips apply to both masks since they both use an air-filled cushion to achieve the seal.

Next, any chance you were awake during the periods of the worst clusters? Wakeful breathing is much more irregular than sleep breathing in some people. And since you feel as though you're fighting the mask in the first place, it wouldn't surprise me that if your breathing is even more irregular than normal when you've got the mask on your nose and you are semi-awake to fully awake. And when you are breathing irregularly while AWAKE, a lot of the time the machine can score events that would not be scored in the sleep lab (because you are awake when they happen). Sometimes this can happen because you may have several minutes of larger, deeper, and possibly more rapid breaths (bordering on a mild form of hyperventilation) followed by settling back into a more normal breathing pattern. If the normal breathing pattern's inhalation peaks are much smaller than the "hyperventilation" peaks, the machine can, and often will, score a hypopnea. We often pause in our wakeful breathing for several seconds because there is a tendency to hold our breath when we're concentrating on something---even when the something is as "simple" as turning over in bed. That too can get scored as an event by the machine when it would not have been scored as an event in the lab (because you were awake when it happened).

And note: While intuition says that if you hold your breath while awake and while using the CPAP, the machine ought to score a CA, you may find that in practice that doesn't happen. The times that I've experimented with "hold my breath to see what happens" have lead to very mixed results: I always get an apnea of some sort scored, but in my data it seems to be at least a toss up on whether it will be scored as an OA or a CA. Maybe it has to do with the particular way that i hold my breath---I don't know. My point, however, is that if you were awake for most of the time during these clusters of events, then many of the events may have resulted from wakeful breathing irregularities.

Finally, it appears that you are using EPR set to 3. Is that correct? If your EPR = 3, then that means that on your exhalations, the pressure is dropping to 5cm. And while Resmed claims that EPR is a patient comfort feature that should not increase a patient's AHI, in practice EPR = 3 does adversely affect some people's AHI numbers. And since your titration had pressures up to 12cm, it could very well be that 5cm is no where near enough pressure to keep your airway open when it is threatening to collapse on your exhalations. So you might try reducing the EPR to 1 or 2 and see if that improves the AHI numbers.

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:27 pm

BigTex wrote: Yes, I try to wear the mask for 30 minutes or so while watching tv.
What does the data look like for one of these 30 minutes TV watching sessions?

Looking at that data may help you identify when you're awake during the night with the CPAP on your nose.

And do you ever feel like you are "gasping for breath" when you are watching the TV with the mask on your nose?

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:44 pm

BigTex wrote: When I take my mask off its usually because I am gasping for air.
Usually this has happened several times before it comes off.
Pre-CPAP did you ever wake up gasping for air? In other words, have you got a history of "waking up gasping for air" as one of your OSA symptoms?

If the answer is YES, then the gasping for air could be triggered by the large number of OAs that seem to occur just before you take the mask off on the two nights you've given us to look at. And in that case, a call to the sleep doc ASAP is in order because chances are 8cm (with only 5cm on exhale) is not enough to properly manage your OSA.

If the answer is NO, then I'm more inclined to believe the "waking up gasping for air" is actually the second stage of "waking because the leaks have gotten big enough to bother you." My idea is: The leaks partially awake you, in your semi-conscious state you become aware that there is SOMETHING ON YOUR FACE!!!!! That triggers a wee bit of panic, and the panic triggers the gasping, which triggers you waking to FULL AWARENESS with the sensation of "gasping for breath." The "gasping" could be a mild form of hyperventilation and that by itself could lead to more events being scored than are actually there.
Something to give at night. I am already walking around like a zombie.
Keeping the mask on at night constantly waking up gasping its just not going to happen.
I must figure out how to stop that.
Right now you are REWARDING your unconscious mind for triggering the GASPING as soon as it starts to panic because it senses the mask on your nose. And you need to quit rewarding the panic-behavior and force the unconscious to accept the mask as the new reality.

My advice is simple: When you take the mask off, get out of bed. Do NOT give into your subconscious mind's attempt to blackmail you into taking the mask off. There is plenty of air to breathe coming through the mask. It is a psychological thing that you must come to grips with. Go back to bed when you are calm enough and sleepy enough to try, try again.

Yes, you'll be exhausted during the daytime for a while. But until you convince your unconscious mind and your body that the CPAP is NOT GOING AWAY, it will be difficult for you to fall asleep and stay asleep with the mask on.

But do note: You need to call the doc's office about those AHI numbers: They are way too high too.

BigTex

Post by BigTex » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks to everybody who responded.
I am grateful for all the help and encouragement.

Last night I had the same experience gasping for air while falling asleep.
Instead of taking the mask off and go back to sleep I got out of bed.
In the first .6 hour I had and AHI of 46 but I had a smiley face for the mask.

When I got back in bed I change the EPR setting from 3 to 1.
After that I did not have one episode of gasping for air.
So I think that will solve that problem

I woke up during the night and resisted the urge to take the mask off.

the report shows the mask leaks and I am pretty sure it leaks around the nose bridge.
I did not wake up once to go to the bathroom, thats been a big change since I started using the mask.

The report shows high AHI during certain parts of the night.
I had an AHI of 25 this morning.

So I have turned off the ramp and changed the EPR from 3 to 1.
I think that works better.

When I watch TV with the mask on for 30 minutes I have zero AHI and no leaks.
I wear the mask while working during the day (mask only, Cpap).

So the next step will be to fix leaks.

While I dont sleep much and I am very tired after all use I feel I am making progress.

Again, thanks to everybody for the support.

hades161

Post by hades161 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:40 pm

My first mile stone was the slowing down and stopping of the bathroom trips at night as well. It almost was like clock work, up every hour to go. I am glad to see your making head way.

Sadly, is a bit of a trial and error process for everyone but focus on fixing just one thing at a time and don't quit if it doesn't work, there are plenty more things to try. Just research a little more ask whatever questions you need to and you'll do fine.

Sleep Well Friend

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

Newbie Woman

Post by Newbie Woman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:51 am

I don't know enough to offer advice, but I am so proud of you for hanging in there!

n0hardmask

Post by n0hardmask » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:00 am

BigTex wrote:Thanks to everybody who responded.
I am grateful for all the help and encouragement.
<snip>the report shows the mask leaks and I am pretty sure it leaks around the nose bridge.
I did not wake up once to go to the bathroom, thats been a big change since I started using the mask.
So I have turned off the ramp and changed the EPR from 3 to 1.
I think that works better.
When I watch TV with the mask on for 30 minutes I have zero AHI and no leaks.
I wear the mask while working during the day (mask only, Cpap).

So the next step will be to fix leaks.
While I dont sleep much and I am very tired after all use I feel I am making progress.
Again, thanks to everybody for the support.
I've only one serious suggestion: make sure you readjust your mask once lying in bed; from your post you can do the adjustment while awake; you now need to learn to do it half asleep . Now I have a less serious suggestion: You can always try my first (non-CPAP) mask: a FFM in AF pilot training. Here's a photo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:T-37_ ... _pilot.jpg of me (not) wearing it. Notice the nice hard headgear that holds the facemask in place. It's so sturdy it holds a FF-pair-of-shades! Hopefully you won't have to get that serious in your mask search.

Don't know what I did to hide the Equipment?! new SleepWeaver Anew-NOT hard!, Quattro ffm, S9 VPAP ADAPT. Sobakawa bead pillow
Sleepyhead, Rescan4; ZEO Bedside -not used
Serenity
Newbies:Log in; then please input your equipment 2 your profile.

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 am

I've been in your situation and with a lot of help here I'm doing fine now. I just want to tell you to hang in there and you should see good results. In some ways it is mind over matter and you have to resist the urge to take the mask off but tell yourself it is NOT an option! Good luck!