CPAP on Overnight Flight?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ron439

Re: CPAP on Overnight Flight?

Post by Ron439 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:08 am

LollyD wrote:I sprung for one of the tiny machines. I used it when I had the luxury of a lie-flat seat, it works upside down or whatever with the multi-night battery. The flights were long, across the Pacific. As the reviews said, the humidifier for this machine is heavy and bulky, so it went in the luggage for hotel and cruise ship use.

For domestic flights without the flat seats, I just forget about it and figure the night will be tough, with or without the XPAP.
Exactly what I wanted to know. Flying from the east coast all the way to Tahiti (yes, dream vacation!) is going to be killer. We won't have lie-down seats, but I still want to make him as comfortable as I can. Especially when it involves lots of other people. I appreciate your input. So you like the Transcend unit?
Posted by Ronnie's wife Cyndi!

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:03 am

I travel 2-4 times a year, transpacific business trips lasting 2-4 wks each and have the following thoughts

1. luckily i fly biz class and for my 14-16 hr flights get anywhere from 4-8 hrs sleep with my trusty Resmed S8 auto
2. i thought about getting a 'smaller unit' but opted against it, primarily because the S8 was also the same unit I use normally and getting same restful slight when i landed just important if not more than using a smaller unit just for on-board use.
3. i upgraded to S9 a couple of years ago but my S8 still travels with me. At the end of each trip, I swap filters, wipe the unit down, change hoses and repack so that it's ready to go next trip.

I've seen some of the smaller units at the sleep doc's office; frankly the S8 isn't that much bigger and certainly performs great! I've also seen folks in economy seat use cpap. If you need a good battery, check this out: http://www.paulcbuff.com/vagabond.php. It was discussed years ago here and do a search to find the thread.

PST

Post by PST » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:59 pm

I agree with dtsm that the S8 makes a good flight machine. One of the best things is that no power brick is needed, so with no humidifier attached, the unit is quite compact. As long as the plane regular AC power, rather than DC (cigarette lighter) power, you should be good to go. I try to avoid overnight flights, so this is a rare problem for me, but when I can't help it or have been bumped to a red eye because of a cancellation, no crew member has ever questioned me for using CPAP.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:23 pm

PST wrote: no crew member has ever questioned me for using CPAP.
On two of my flights, flight attendants and I exchanged cpap stories.....one even showed me his unit. On transpacific flights, they get 4-6 hr sleep breaks and even they use them on-board!