question about mask similarities/differences

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bayourest

question about mask similarities/differences

Post by bayourest » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:48 am

I have been using a FFM since I started in Nov. I started with a small quattro mirage but then the (wonderful) tech at the dr's office switched me to a medium ultra mirage in January (she had lots of them on hand and gave me one for free). Now I seem to be having leak problems with both masks. With the small I do not feel or hear the leaks but the a m report shows pretty high leaks. the medium has suddenly started squealing etc. and that was what made me switch back to the small. I've re-adjusted the med many times and havent seemed to arrive at the former "good fit". My scores etc are better on the small at the moment despite the leaks in the 20's etc. and I would not be adverse to staying with that if necessary. What I am wondering now is how much difference there is between FFM of different brands, e.g between the resmed and the respironic FFMs which look very much alike in pictures. Is it worth trying another "brand" of what looks quite similar to what I have? Or is the better way to go, to try an essentially different style (hybrid) now that I am accustomed to sleeping with a mask etc. (At my titration study in November they tried a hybrid first but it drove me crazy and then they tried a FFM which actually made me feel less uncomfortable during the study. I am definitely a mouth breather at least part of the time.) I am due for a new mask in May and at the moment I am supposed to get a medium quattro FX then. I have had all sorts of password problems on cpap auction and if I can get that figured out I would be willing to give that a try. But I can't afford hundreds of $$ for tryouts at the moment. I am thinking of the rental program at sleepnationtv.
thanks

smsfire2003

Re: question about mask similarities/differences

Post by smsfire2003 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:58 am

Hi,
I have been using FFM for years now, always been encountering problems with getting a good seal. Started with the ultra mirage , went to a quattro , went to a quattro fx, to a fisher 432, and now using a liberty. What everyone says you have to find what works for you, personally the liberty has been by far my best mask yet, with a far second being the ultra. I'd highly recommend the liberty, or if $$ is an issue try the hybrid by innomed it's alot cheaper and comes with all 3 sizes for masks and pillows, alot of great reviews for the hybrid and it'll probably be my next trial mask.

DreamDiver

Re: question about mask similarities/differences

Post by DreamDiver » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:37 am

bayourest wrote:I have been using a FFM since I started in Nov. I started with a small quattro mirage but then the (wonderful) tech at the dr's office switched me to a medium ultra mirage in January (she had lots of them on hand and gave me one for free). Now I seem to be having leak problems with both masks. With the small I do not feel or hear the leaks but the a m report shows pretty high leaks. the medium has suddenly started squealing etc. and that was what made me switch back to the small. I've re-adjusted the med many times and havent seemed to arrive at the former "good fit". My scores etc are better on the small at the moment despite the leaks in the 20's etc. and I would not be adverse to staying with that if necessary. What I am wondering now is how much difference there is between FFM of different brands, e.g between the resmed and the respironic FFMs which look very much alike in pictures. Is it worth trying another "brand" of what looks quite similar to what I have? Or is the better way to go, to try an essentially different style (hybrid) now that I am accustomed to sleeping with a mask etc. (At my titration study in November they tried a hybrid first but it drove me crazy and then they tried a FFM which actually made me feel less uncomfortable during the study. I am definitely a mouth breather at least part of the time.) I am due for a new mask in May and at the moment I am supposed to get a medium quattro FX then. I have had all sorts of password problems on cpap auction and if I can get that figured out I would be willing to give that a try. But I can't afford hundreds of $$ for tryouts at the moment. I am thinking of the rental program at sleepnationtv.
thanks
I have a Medium/Medium UMFF and a small Quattro. They both fit equally well for me. Most people find, however that they are either UMFF or Quattro and that's it. I have tried both the hybrid and the liberty and found the liberty painful and grossly lacking in fit. The hybrid comes with a variety of pillows and cushions and fits most people in some combination of what's supplied. It's also pretty comfortable as masks go, and you can wear glasses.
My personal favorite is the zzz full face, though recently I've been switching out with the Quattro. If you lose weight, your mask fit might also change.
You can never have too many masks.