Need a little help.....Just getting started

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
napmaster

Need a little help.....Just getting started

Post by napmaster » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:27 pm

First hello and thank you. I've been looking around here and got most of my information from you guys. I wore a cpap 96-98 and then had up3 surgery and gave up on all of it. I've been so tired that I went back. I have severe (AHI >50) apnea. So, I went in and played with a couple of masks. One was just the little nose port types and the other was a F&P Zest which I decided to go with. The sleep doctor decided that I needed a bi-level set at 15/10. I went with the PR Model 1 Auto Bipap.

The first night at home, I kept waking up with a dry mouth. I put the chin strap on, but that doesn't keep your lips shut. So, I researched some more and went with Rooster's Taping method. That's been working well the last three night. But I wake up really dizzy. I'm guessing sinus problems.

Here's the part that is worrying me. Last night, the mask seemed to be leaking slightly. So, I tightened the straps a little. Maybe it was too much. When I woke up this morning and took the mask off, I looked in the mirror and noticed my face below my eyes, all the way down to my lips looked ashen gray like I was dead. It really scared me. I normally have a red complexion. After a few minutes, the color came back. Also, today one side of my nose is sore and formed a pimple where my mask sits at the corner of my nose. The bridge of my nose had a bump on it and it is sensitive too. I hope I can wear the mask tonight.

I can exchange the mask for another one. I have no idea what to get. Any suggestions? I'm just trying to figure it out. I'm determined to make this work. I will keep trying until I have success.

Thanks for your help,
Mike aka napmaster

SleepyT

Re: Need a little help.....Just getting started

Post by SleepyT » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:34 pm

You will get as many suggestions as there are masks....it just comes down to which one you can tolerate...and works to keep your AHI down. You've already found that over-tightening is not good. Just keep experimenting and tweaking....and reading here. Good luck!

"Knowledge is power."

roster

Post by roster » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:00 pm

napmaster wrote: I can exchange the mask for another one. I have no idea what to get. Any suggestions? I'm just trying to figure it out. I'm determined to make this work. I will keep trying until I have success.

Thanks for your help,
Mike aka napmaster

My situation was similar to yours and when the Innomed Hybrid mask was introduced, I switched to it and have been doing well for about four years now. The mask is comfortable, stable, and rarely leaks even though I sleep most of the night on my tummy and the rest on my sides. Mouthtaping is not necessary.

From an old post of mine:
But I do always recommend the Hybrid (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/RespCa ... -Mask.html) over the Liberty because:

1. The Hybrid comes with all three sizes of mouth cushions. The Liberty only one.

2. The Hybrid has a built-in chinflap. The Liberty has no chinflap (Hybrid patent prevents this).

3. If you prefer the mask without a chinflap (as I do), the Hybrid chinflap can be easily cut away with a pair of scissors.

4. Some people have complained that the headgear on the Liberty mask is inferior to the headgear on the Hybrid Mask.

5. On cpap.com the price for the Hybrid Mask is $119 and the price for the Liberty mask is $207 (Those clowns at ResMed!)

IMO the ResMed Liberty is a more expensive and inferior copy of the Hybrid.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

napmaster

Post by napmaster » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks Rooster. I will contact my DME supplier and get them to hook me up.

roster

Post by roster » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:21 pm

napmaster wrote:Thanks Rooster. I will contact my DME supplier and get them to hook me up.

Here are some use and adjustment tips: wiki/index.php/Hybrid_Mask_Modifications

It might sound complicated, but once I got my Hybrid sized and adjusted properly I go for months without additional adjustments.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related