a few silly questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
docjl

a few silly questions

Post by docjl » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:10 pm

hi.
I'm new. I posted once here asking how to interpret my sleep study and had a wonderful person provide a link to a blog that explained so much Thanks, again, wonderful person.
I haven't seen a dr yet and probably never will. My titration study (a word of which I didn't know the definition ) is on the 25th. So, I am wondering about 2 things and no one I know uses a cpap.

1- what do you do if you get a cold? Do you just not use the cpap?
2- Are there days when you just don't use it? My wonderful soon to be retired husband plan to travel a lot after I retire (2 years!). I know they are portable, but some of the traveling will be on flights during the night. How do you handle this? Some of the travel we will do will be spaceA travel -military flights which don't have the usual seats etc..... Do you experienced cpaps just skip using it on those night flights or at other places you sleep where you just don't have it? Do you use it if you nap?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around these changes I'm going to have to face.
Thanks.

Pugsy

Re: a few silly questions

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:31 pm

We use our cpap machines when we have a cold if we can. Sometimes if there is a lot of coughing and stuff...well it doesn't work out too well. I use a nasal pillow mask and I have had a few head colds and actually the humidified air going up my nose helps me breathe better.
Other people prefer to use a full face mask (covers nose and mouth) so that they can breathe through their mouth if congestion is bad. I don't do well with full face masks so I don't even own one. I have never missed a night due to a cold because I could usually breathe well enough through my nose (oral decongestants, saline nose spray and maybe a little Afrin).
If I couldn't breathe at all through my nose...well I wouldn't be sleeping very much anyway because I would be really, really sick.

We should use our cpap machines when we nap....the sleep apnea evens don't care if it is a nap or bedtime...they come anyway. A long nap without the machine and you might wake up feeling worse than if you hadn't ever napped.

Long flights...there are batteries that can power the cpap machine in flight...I haven't ever bothered. I just nap and since I am sitting up the chance of apnea events happening is lessened. Not ideal but I don't/can't sleep very well in a plane anyway.
If you often do really long flights you might want to check into some small portable battery options.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Nooblakahn

Post by Nooblakahn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:31 pm

With colds, people who use nasal usually switch to full face for the duration of the illness.

On commercial flights your device is a free carry on, that does not count towards your allotment of carry ons. I guess it used to be allowed to use the electricity on the planes, but you would need a battery now. I have no clue what spaceA travel -military flights are, so cannot comment on that.

Edit: Not only was pugsy quicker, she was more thorough too. She was probably the nice person that answered you the first time too

“I wonder if I've been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different."
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Nooblakahn wrote:I have no clue what spaceA travel -military flights are,
I am not exactly sure but I suspect it isn't first class.
Stand by maybe or Space Available...on military planes which might not have same seating accessories like power plugs on the seat in front like we see in domestic commercial planes.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JointPain

Post by JointPain » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I always use the CPAP, except for accidents.

For a cold I take a decongestant, etc. to get started. Generally using the CPAP keeps the airways clear enough.

I use it every time I nap. I actually prefer using it, and have a Pavlovian response: CPAP on means it's sleep time.

I carry it with me when travelling. For travel within the US, it is a medical device and because of the American Disabilities Act it does not count as a carry on (but it must be the only thing in the bag). Generally you aren't so lucky in other countries.

I try not to sleep on flights. I find the seats too uncomfortable to sleep, and trying to use CPAP makes it even worse. I recently went to Amsterdam (10+ hour flight) and did not sleep. On one trip to Australia (13 hour flight, leaving at about 2 am) I arranged to use it on the aircraft, but I was too uncomfortable to sleep. I didn't bother trying on the flight back.

The only time I don't use it are accidents: I'm trying to stay awake and doze off without it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:01 pm

On a military flight, I cannot imagine sleeping.
Somebody is bound to talk your ears off.
(of course, you won't mind)

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks, all.
I'm nervous about this whole new medical issue. It seems like I hit 55 and started falling apart...I'm still battling a vitamin D deficiency (I have to move to where the sun shines more!) and now this.

oh..and you're prob right about the military flights. They won't be comfy at all, but we do plan on traveling together. We spent the last decade living in either different states or different ends of the state, and we promised each other that we were going to explore the US and world when we retire...
Thanks again,
doc

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Space A is indeed space available. Higher ranked officer get the 1st seats and then it flows down by rank.

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:27 pm

PapNap... the best!!!