My camping experience and cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ilvsleep

My camping experience and cpap

Post by ilvsleep » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:33 am

We were camping in one of those cozy cabins at Cape Hatteras last week. The first night I wore the cpap I noticed the smell of the cabin. I really didn't like a wet wood smell but wore it anyway. This worked for a few nights and than I found some bugs in my humidifier!!!!! I have always been paronoid about spiders crawling in my hose while it hangs in the day time so I didn't do this camping. I disconnected the hose and stuck it under my covers but didn't realize that leaves the opening for the humidifier. Sad to say, I did not wear my cpap the final days of our trip. I was too grossed out!! I have since come home and cleaned everthing out good and am now back on my cpap.
Being we are campers I need to solve these issues before our next trip. Any ideas on how not to absorb every smell in a new environment? What about keeping the cpap bug free? I thought about a tote to keep all the supplies in during the day but will that keep in any moisture too? Thanks! Hopefully someone can help!

nanwilson

Re: My camping experience and cpap

Post by nanwilson » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:40 am

Morning
When I go camping, I pack everything up in a tote, but once I have set up my cpap in my motorhome, I cover EVERYTHING. I made a cover to go over the machine, but first I put a baggie on each end of my hose. Once I am up in the morning, and do my dayly routine clean up, I fill my humidifier with distilled and put it back on my machine. That way its connected, and no critters or creepy crawlers can get inside. My cpap cover is just made of left-over fleece from another project. Once I get home, I do a thorough cleaning and put everything away ready for bedtime.
Hope this helps and HAPPY CAMPING!
Cheers
Naan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:59 am

Go to your local fabric store and buy a yard or so of the finest mesh fabric you can find--like bridal veil tulle or silk screen fabric. Then just fold or gather it around your equipment, pinning or rubber-banding all the openings. This should exclude the creepy-crawlies. Think of those goofy little mesh umbrellas they used to sell for picnic tables. Have fun.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:02 pm

It would be easy enough to get the plastic tote you mentioned and add some "screened windows" to it by cutting holes and covering them with window screening (or the fabric mentioned above) secured with tape. That way everything is secure and water vapor can escape.
jeff

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Or, take small pieces of the aforementioned mesh material (or an old nylon stocking), and rubber-band it over the hose ends. You can do the same thing to the opening on the humidifier, or use a blanked-off end from an old hose. (You can glue a piece of mesh on the blanked-off end of the connector so that, too can breathe. If your filter is properly installed, you don't need to worry about stuff getting in from the intake side.