Still feeling dried out at max humidity

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tesseract

Still feeling dried out at max humidity

Post by Tesseract » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:48 am

So I tried CPAP again last night and woke up after an hour feeling super dried out. My machine is on max humidity. The room humidity is 52% and the temperature is 69 degrees F. The head of my bed is elevated 4 inches and I'm increasing it to 7 inches tonight. I just feel like I'm stuffed up whenever I lay down. I run hepa air purifiers in every room of the house and this is a new house. I do get dried out easily since I had sinus surgery in 2002. Has anyone else had this problem and what seemed to help?

I do have my ICON auto machine at max 7 humidity and the humidity boost is on 3 which is the maximum amount.

BlackSpinner

Re: Still feeling dried out at max humidity

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:38 am

Pick up one of those steam humidifiers and try that. I use one when I have a cold and helps a lot.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:47 pm

My pulmonologist/sleep doc insists on using over-the-counter saline nasal spray every night before strapping on. He said he couldn't overemphasize the benefit of salt water to the sinuses. He says squirt the saline in each nostril while inhaling until you can taste the salt dribbling down the back of your throat.

The _url_ thingie doesn't seem to be working. Just Google Saline Nasal Spray to see what's available.

Since you've had your schnoz modified by surgery, take that into account, but this doc knows his stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Tesseract wrote:So I tried CPAP again last night and woke up after an hour feeling super dried out. My machine is on max humidity. The room humidity is 52% and the temperature is 69 degrees F. The head of my bed is elevated 4 inches and I'm increasing it to 7 inches tonight. I just feel like I'm stuffed up whenever I lay down. I run hepa air purifiers in every room of the house and this is a new house. I do get dried out easily since I had sinus surgery in 2002. Has anyone else had this problem and what seemed to help?

I do have my ICON auto machine at max 7 humidity and the humidity boost is on 3 which is the maximum amount.
Too much warm humidity can cause more nasal congestion and the opposite desired effect.
Maybe you're going the wrong way with your settings.
Are you doing nasal cleansing before bedtime? If not, that may help, too.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Tesseract

Post by Tesseract » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:07 pm

I am using a Neilmed sinus rinse kit before bed and then I usually do a steam inhaler too.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:50 pm

It could be that your mouth is opened, even if your AHI is good.