apap starting range

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fredboy

apap starting range

Post by fredboy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:53 pm

So Ive had the zzpap now for 5 years and stated to get symptoms lately every 3 days or so. I decided to get a new apap-zzpap arriving tommorrow in fact!( never even knew auto exsisited till last week).

I titrated 5 years ago today in fact at 8cm. I am confusing myself on other boards about starting ranges! Can anyone suggest a start range for me for tommorrow night. My doc is on vacation and I desp. need to start anew on the new machine. How does 6cm-15cm sound?

NightMonkey

Re: apap starting range

Post by NightMonkey » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Start at min 8 max 20.

I am assuming you have the software.

Let us know what your detail looks like the next morning.

If leaks are under control but you still have events then the min pressure should be titrated upwards always checking the detail report each day.

If you have no or few events you can try titrating the pressure down a bit, again each day analyzing the detail report.

Don't overthink. KISS.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:26 pm

I would not set the high point at 20, but closer to 12 or 13... makes it easier for the machine to catch events rather than trying to chase them (and often not getting there).

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:55 pm

I agree with NightMonkey's recommended settings. As far as using an upper end of 20 - it won't go there if it doesn't need to.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:09 pm

RandyJ wrote:I agree with NightMonkey's recommended settings. As far as using an upper end of 20 - it won't go there if it doesn't need to.

I agree. If you set it at 15 you might have an apnea that requires a higher number.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:35 pm

I also agree about the 20 max. The machine won't go there unless it thinks it needs to for some reason.
I used APAP 10 min and 20 max for well over 2 years. Most of the time my pressures stayed around 12 or 13 but on occasion I would see up to 18 cm once or twice a week for maybe 30 minutes to an hour. It goes up but comes down once the job is over and won't go up unless it thinks it has a reason.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:19 am

I was always told [by Rested Gal] the key is the minimum. If you've been on 8, that's probably a good place to start. The maximum can be anywhere from 13-20. After a week, check your data and you can then zero in on a tighter band. Or go to cpap. Some folks respond better with apap, other's cpap...everyone is different.

Good luck and keep us posted.