Your Choice, your Vote

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Should Politics and religion be a banned subject on the forum?

Yes
41%
No
46%
Dont Know
1%
Dont Care
13%

Total votes: 96

Sleepy Taz

Re: Your Choice, your Vote

Post by Sleepy Taz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Why is it that new people come here and state what a great place this is, and then want to change it? Gazhack has many valid points but in his enthusiasm to contribute lit the fire under some people, not about the content, but the act of banning free speech which is a hot topic always. In the process we may have lost a member because of how we reacted to his ideas. This should make us chose our words more carefully, so that feelings are spared. It is OK to disagree but not at the expense of running someone off. We are better people than that is evidenced by the willingness to help total strangers.
"I can't do anything about the past. I have no idea what will happen tomorrow. What matters is the present. And, just in case tomorrow should never come, I'm going to use the present as constructively as I can."

NightMonkey

Re: Gricean Maxims

Post by NightMonkey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:55 pm

NateS wrote: My suspicion though is that if you started a new poll, the same voices would come forward asserting that "freedom of speech" gives one the prerogative to be irrelevant and ill-mannered in their posts.

Anyone who reads through the responses to this poll can easily see that none of the responses that were posted against banning the subject of politics and religion claimed it was a "freedom of speech" issue. (Although ink did stumble on the phrase in his seventh post in this thread.)
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

jnk

Post by jnk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:26 pm

NightMonkey wrote: . . . in his seventh post in this thread.
Does that mean I'm banned from the rest of the thread?

Vader

Post by Vader » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:49 pm

jnk wrote:
NightMonkey wrote: . . . in his seventh post in this thread.
Does that mean I'm banned from the rest of the thread?
Heck no!
These censorship threads go on and on and on.....(till the next new censorship thread)
There's much more "work" to be done, apparently!

Vader

NateS

Post by NateS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:42 pm

NightMonkey wrote:
NateS wrote: My suspicion though is that if you started a new poll, the same voices would come forward asserting that "freedom of speech" gives one the prerogative to be irrelevant and ill-mannered in their posts.

Anyone who reads through the responses to this poll can easily see that none of the responses that were posted against banning the subject of politics and religion claimed it was a "freedom of speech" issue. (Although ink did stumble on the phrase in his seventh post in this thread.)
You're playing a word game with me, EveningSimian. I'm confident that you own an excellent thesaurus!

Regards,

Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:04 pm

NateS wrote:
NightMonkey wrote:

You're playing a word game with me, EveningSimian. I'm confident that you own an excellent thesaurus!

Regards,

Nate
No, I am afraid I am not playing a word game. It constantly has to be explained to the left. "Freedom of speech" has nothing to do with this forum - it is private property and the owners can control the speech.

Did you even look to see what the negative responses to the poll said? Or do you have your strawman opponent fully formed and you are determined to stick with it?

Instead of "freedom of speech" it would be less inaccurate to describe those posts as "freedom to hear". I have read the posts. Now you should.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

NateS

Post by NateS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 pm

NightMonkey wrote:
NateS wrote:
NightMonkey wrote:

Regards,

Nate
No, I am afraid I am not playing a word game. It constantly has to be explained to the left. "Freedom of speech" has nothing to do with this forum - it is private property and the owners can control the speech.

Did you even look to see what the negative responses to the poll said? Or do you have your strawman opponent fully formed and you are determined to stick with it?

Instead of "freedom of speech" it would be less inaccurate to describe those posts as "freedom to hear". I have read the posts. Now you should.
You're being needlessly sarcastic and mean-spirited with me, your debating buddy and apnea friend. You've just given me a new reason to avoid political OTs on cpaptalk. Thanks.

"Censorship" is the cry that was repeatedly raised here, and which is synonymous with an alleged denial of free speech.

"Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the general body of people as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship

Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:57 am

Gazhacks wrote:Its obvious that Jonny foreigner is not welcome here by certain parties and to be honest I dont really care.
jnk wrote:I'm of Lowland Scots-Irish... by way of the hill people of Eastern Kentucky
That's certainly an ancestrally-topographical roller coaster.
jnk wrote:By the way, your avatar is fun. But subconsciously, some may be tending to growl back and to bite before getting bit. Many may have assumed that was the point.
Well, "IMHO", the avatar was an inadvertent revelation of the OP's subconscious agenda, namely, expecting instant recognition as an Alpha Dog. Failing this, a terrible Crash-and-Burn was inevitable.
jnk wrote:Personally, I enjoyed the poll. It was educational to me.
Especially the massive vote swing following the invitation to the Pity Party.

Like, what are people really voting for?
...other than food...

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:19 am

NightMonkey wrote:Anything else?
Yeah, I have one.

Did you serve?
...other than food...

Matty332

Post by Matty332 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:55 am

NightMonkey wrote:
NateS wrote:
NightMonkey wrote:

Regards,

Nate

I presume this entire thread has been declared off topic so I don't need to declare my response to be OSA/CPAP related.

I am no lawyer but according to what I have read about the American First Amendment - it extends to cyberspace. Apparently on American privately owned forums you can say whatever you like - freedom of speech, but the owners have the right to censor it as they see fit.

jnk

Post by jnk » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:26 am

deltadave wrote: . . . the massive vote swing . . .
I had hoped that the swing of the vote was because of the discussion of the larger issues (such as censorship) and Johnny's stated views related to the matter. But it was probably just Roster using his 20-some, or more, identities to swing it. As they say, vote early, vote often.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:49 am

jnk wrote:
I had hoped that the swing of the vote was because of the discussion of the larger issues (such as censorship) and Johnny's stated views related to the matter. But it was probably just Roster using his 20-some, or more, identities to swing it. As they say, vote early, vote often.
That's EXACTLY what I had thought about the vote swing, jnk.

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:50 am

jnk wrote:
Hey, don't look at me!

All my votes went into "IDGAF"!

"IMHO", I'd like to see a "The Best of Muffy" category, with such routines as:
  • The aforementioned Sections and Categories, featuring "Moderators";
  • "Jan and The Chainsaw";
  • "Sister Mary Louise and Anthrax"; and
  • "PuffDaddy's Tank"
...other than food...

jnk

Post by jnk » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:35 am

-SWS wrote:That's EXACTLY what I had thought about the vote swing, jnk.
We might call it "Rostermandering."

Good to "see" ya, -SWS.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 am

The only person you can control is you. Consideration is a good thing.
I like this forum because it is sometimes off topic. I learn a lot here, and it's not always about SA. I suspect there are a large number of people who generously elect NOT to post exactly what's on their minds, or a lot more people would be told to get stuffed publicly. To me, that says we have group of very balanced and well-rounded individuals with a lot of self control.

5 Most Common Forum Member Types
The Salesman
The Intellect
The Clueless
The Angry and Frustrated
The Lurker

I'd add a few more:

The Story Teller - Sometimes for a laugh, some times for condolence - Stories are often treasure for the forum.

The List Maker - Lists, references, links, all neatly sorted. This person takes a lot of time.

The Howto / Demo / Artist - Directions graphics with videos and details on what to do. Useful.

The Community Builder - The person who connects the new member who needs to know something with another member who actually knows and can help.

The Turfie - Thinks he has to 'defend' some self-understood metaphysical forum 'turf' by establishing dominance over others.

The Preacher - Prodigious posts along the lines of 'My product/theory/dental floss is best. These people/books/references prove it. All other opinions are misguided. I am here to save you from yourself.' Not always truly educated, but can have a slick spiel.

The Paid Viral Publisher - Creates consecutive new posts about some product he's 'trying out', gets lots of replies in consecutive threads but never responds. Probably paid to promote whatever product they're 'trying out' on multiple fora.

The Multiple Personality - Has several avatars for entertainment value. Might think he's smarter than everyone else. (Probably is.) Prone to extreme tangents, often intentionally difficult to follow.

The Troll - Attempts to cause anarchy and chaos by making inflammatory posts.

The Gang - two or more forum members who gang up on one member to toy with or hurt that member.

Most of us can claim a bit of 'Mix and Match'. Who are you?

Last edited by DreamDiver on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.