Your Choice, your Vote

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Should Politics and religion be a banned subject on the forum?

Yes
41%
No
46%
Dont Know
1%
Dont Care
13%

Total votes: 96

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Your Choice, your Vote

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:29 am

Interesting how the scales have tipped the other way.
Please don't change anything, Johnny and Carolyn.
We love you.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:30 am

Gazhacks wrote:The mentality of some people is laughable Its a good job I didnt ask a risky question to do with IRAN!

Its ok you can start any poll you like thats what its there for, unless you need special permission from the bigots. Its obvious that Jonny foreigner is not welcome here by certain parties and to be honest I dont really care. I ask the forum moderators to please delete my account and any posts that I have written.

To the people who offered there advise without judgement, thank you.

Gazhacks
Don't get your knickers in a knot about a few judgmental jerks. There are troll like people on all forums, just like there are at any real life gathering. You know who to avoid at the pub! Same here, a few loud mouth Americans think they rule the world when actually they can't even manage their local neighbourhood, so ignore them just like the rest of the world does.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:57 am

I am a Christian and so obviously won't mind religion. I hate politics. However, for either issue, if I don't like the subject of the topic, I can choose not to participate so why ban it. For those interested, they should be able to participate.
Gazhacks wrote:Should Politics and religion be a banned subject on the forum?

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:59 am

Good idea. I wondered if you could do that with this forum.
NateS wrote:
hades161 wrote:I do not endorse the idea of a ban or censorship in anyway, unless it's advertisements.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.” - Herbert Spencer
I see your point, but I don't think it is an either/or situation.

Many other boards have a separate division or forum called something like OFF-TOPIC or Free-for-All Discussion, where members can post anything they want. But why do these political headlines have to pop up right in the middle of help and advice and counseling on sleep apnea and xpap? That is what is a real turn-off.

What are you going to do when religious advocates start putting up headlines about their own version of "one true God" and everybody else is an infidel or non-believer? What are you going to do when headlines about "Satan" start being interleaved with help and counseling and advice for sleep apnea?

Nate

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:02 am

Gazhacks - I've never witnessed regular members/posters here to attack non-Americans because they are non-Americans.. EVER! If the good folk here jump down your throat, it would be for what you are saying, not because you're from the UK - I guarantee it!

There are quite a few Aussies who are regulars here, as well as others from all over the world. I happen to be an Aussie living in the U.S., so I'm always on the lookout for any blanket criticism, or if I get criticised because I'm Australian - been waiting for almost 15yrs and it's yet to happen! As hard as it is to be impartial, when someone attacks my nationality or country, I get miffed.

On the other hand, if I post a strong opinion or take a shot at someone, that's when I've had people jump on me. It's because they disagree strongly with my views, not because I'm not American and I accept that.

Tell Fido to calm down

Cheers,
xena

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:22 am

Gazhacks wrote: I ask the forum moderators to please delete my account and any posts that I have written.
A few Scotch-Irish in my family tree and they were very tough people that endured much and accomplished much. Hopefully you just had a momentary "wimp attack".

Gazhacks wrote:The mentality of some people is laughable Its a good job I didnt ask a risky question to do with IRAN!
Getting involved in Iraq was a big mistake.

We did our job against Al Qaeda in Afghanistan quickly and should have gotten the hell out many years ago.

This threatening war talk against Iran needs to stop immediately. Executive Orders 13553, 13574, and 13590 need to be rescinded immediately.

Bases at Lakenheath and Mildenhall need to be closed immediately and all men and equipment should be sent home immediately.

Anything else?
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Last edited by Uncle_Bob on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jnk

Post by jnk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Last edited by jnk on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

NateS

Gricean Maxims

Post by NateS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:37 pm

It appears as if a plea for relevance and good manners has been re-defined as a freedom of speech issue in order to knock it down.

Almost everyone is in favor of Mom, Apple Pie and Freedom of Speech.

But I think the OP was thinking about relevance and good manners.

I would like to think that most people coming to read and post agree with Grice's Maxims:

Grice's Maxims

Maxim of Quality
Be Truthful
Do not say what you believe to be false.
Do not say that for which you lack adequate evidence.

Maxim of Quantity
Quantity of Information
Make your contribution as informative as is required (for the current purposes of the exchange).
Do not make your contribution more informative than is required.

Maxim of Relevance
Relevance
Be relevant.

Maxim of Manner
Be Clear
Avoid obscurity of expression.
Avoid ambiguity.
Be brief (avoid unnecessary prolixity).
Be orderly.

Cooperative Principle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gricean_maxims

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

jnk

Re: Gricean Maxims

Post by jnk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:56 pm

NateS wrote: . . . It appears as if a plea for relevance and good manners has been re-defined as a freedom of speech issue in order to knock it down. . . .
Ah. It might APPEAR that way. But the question polled was not "Is it good manners and relevant to post about . . ." The question was about whether certain discussions should be BANNED. So the OP's question itself, as phrased, was on the subject of the desirability of authoritative control over freedom of speech in this forum when it comes to discussions about political and religious ideas, was it not?
NateS wrote: . . . I think the OP was thinking about relevance and good manners. . . .
If so, I believe then that the Maxim of Manner may be relevant for constucting a poll along those lines rather than one concerning 'banning.'

Don't you?

NateS

Post by NateS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:09 pm

jnk wrote:
NateS wrote: . . . It appears as if a plea for relevance and good manners has been re-defined as a freedom of speech issue in order to knock it down. . . .
Ah. It might APPEAR that way. But the question polled was not "Is it good manners and relevant to post about . . ." The question was about whether certain discussions should be BANNED. So the OP's question itself, as phrased, was on the subject of the desirability of authoritative control over freedom of speech in this forum when it comes to discussions about political and religious ideas, was it not?
NateS wrote: . . . I think the OP was thinking about relevance and good manners. . . .
If so, I believe then that the Maxim of Manner may be relevant for constucting a poll along those lines rather than one concerning 'banning.'

Don't you?
Yes, you make a good point. Do you want to start a new poll?

My suspicion though is that if you started a new poll, the same voices would come forward asserting that "freedom of speech" gives one the prerogative to be irrelevant and ill-mannered in their posts. "And so there!" Wanna bet?

Last edited by NateS on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Central sleep apnea AHI 62.6 pre-VPAP. Now 0 to 1.3
Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:13 pm

We have nothing to fear on this board, except an occasional hurt feeling! Rest assured, if any poster engages in egregious personal attacks on another forum member, the forum owners can, and will, bar them from the forum, when it is brought to their attention. It has happened.

jnk

Post by jnk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:18 pm

NateS wrote: . . . Do you want to start a new poll?
Not I. To me, it would be like asking whether discussions of blueberries are relevant and mannerly in a CPAP forum. For me, the answer wouldn't matter.

But I would gladly spout my personal opinions and participate in someone else's poll on the subject because I'm like that.

I love polls! AND blueberries!!!

My polls are famous for being a little off, frankly. Many would like me banned from making further polls, I believe.

Seems even good ole Uncle Bob has me on his ignore list, from the looks of things.

jnk

Post by jnk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:22 pm

NateS wrote: . . . My suspicion though is that if you started a new poll, the same voices would come forward asserting that "freedom of speech" gives one the prerogative to be irrelevant and ill-mannered in their posts. "And so there!" Wanna bet?
My personal belief (more religious than political) is that true freedom of speech is rarely a pleasant thing, only a necessary thing. I earn my right to say what I wish by being willing to tolerate hearing those who are saying what I do not wish to hear.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:38 pm

It doesn't matter how many "polls" the users may take on how the forum should be operated or changed (the most famous of which have been to break it up into "categories"). Unless the polls are initiated by the forum administrators (people who actually have the power to change things), it's a waste of time for everyone.

Den