I have GOT to ditch this thing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Carmen

I have GOT to ditch this thing

Post by Carmen » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:21 am

I swear my Respironics machine was like dragging a cement block across Tokyo today. I suspect I might not actually need it any more since I lost a great deal of weight, but I'm apparently addicted enough to need it to sleep. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, LIGHTWEIGHT APAP unit.

Bobby269

Re: I have GOT to ditch this thing

Post by Bobby269 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:08 am

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:35 am

Carmen wrote:I swear my Respironics machine was like dragging a cement block across Tokyo today. I suspect I might not actually need it any more since I lost a great deal of weight, but I'm apparently addicted enough to need it to sleep. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, LIGHTWEIGHT APAP unit.
Another option is to not use the humidifier when you travel. I never do. I find I need to drink water before and after sleep to compensate. That makes the unit a LOT lighter and easier to deal with it.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:44 am

The Philips Respironics carry bag for the 50 series with machine and humidifier inside is not so much heavy as bulky to carry. The Resmed S9 bag design makes for a slimmer profile bag, almost like carrying a laptop. I have both and I definitely prefer traveling with the Resmed.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:19 am

RandyJ wrote:The Philips Respironics carry bag for the 50 series with machine and humidifier inside is not so much heavy as bulky to carry. The Resmed S9 bag design makes for a slimmer profile bag, almost like carrying a laptop. I have both and I definitely prefer traveling with the Resmed.
Well put. I've been traveling some with my PR Series 60 (same physical dimensions) this year, and it is the bulk, not the weight that is really the hassle for me. As John mentioned, perhaps I should try it without the humidifier. I'd need to find an appropriate carrying case for it. Of course, the hose is pretty bulky too.

John

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:47 am

Carmen wrote:I swear my Respironics machine was like dragging a cement block across Tokyo today. I suspect I might not actually need it any more since I lost a great deal of weight, but I'm apparently addicted enough to need it to sleep. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, LIGHTWEIGHT APAP unit.
It's not the weight of the machine that's draging you down, it's the effort you are wasting paddling around in circles in De-Nile. When you opt for a reduced weight xpap, the specs and lifespand are reduced. "TANKS", run forever. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:53 am

A good back pack with wheels is a great investment.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:16 pm

I don't think they make a smaller BiPAP.
Every brand has about the same volume and mass, even if configured differently.
CPAP.com lists all of the latest brands as under three pounds and travel-sized.

From the Product Comparison area on this page:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/S9-VPA ... ine.html#d

Intellipap Auto Bilevel is 6.1 pounds including accessories and travel bag - 0.45 cubic feet
PR BiPAP Auto is 6.0 pounds including accessories and travel bag - 0.55 cubic feet
S9 VPAP Auto BiLevel is 6.4 pounds, including accessories and travel bag - 0.52 cubic feet

The Intellipap is a little smaller, a little denser, but not lighter, so it ends up being a choice of travel bag designed convenience. I'm not sure there is a clear winner here. BlackSpinner may be on to something with the wheeled backpack.

CheBella

Post by CheBella » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:14 pm

I've had my DeVilbiss Intellipap for about 4 months, and I think my husband is going to start to get jealous that I love Warrant more.
(Warrant being the name of said APAP because "if you want a rest, you've gotta get a Warrant")

Small footprint, you can get a battery made for it, so quiet that neither I nor my husband can hear it. And I hear everything...and it all annoys me, because I have a headache 24.7, which is often a migraine, so things like the little "tsh" that a battery operated clock makes as the hands move has been known to make me crazy.

Quality is superb: DeVilbiss is the only company that gives a 5 year warranty instead of the industry standard 2 year,

No, I don't work for the company.
I just love my Warrant

Price? I got Warrant, tracking software, a new mask, lightweight tubing, and a tube huggy for ~$1300. And that was 100% of the price; I paid all out-of-pocket instead of using Medicare because they only cover the rental DMEs, and the final cost after 13 months of my 20% co-pay (for a non-auto bi-level, no choice of product) would have been $1650 -- after Medicare's payments.

Here's a handy link:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilb ... level.html

that's my Warrant, altho, because of the humidifier, mine looks more like this:
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/devil ... tcode.html

I don't really know if he would be great for travel, but I think his allover wonderfulness might make it worth dragging him around.

CheBella, who knows who she would grab in case of a fire
[sounds of disgruntled husband, daughter & dog in the background]

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:51 pm

What about F & P Icon? They are the size of a large clock radio.

Now I'll run for cover

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:41 pm

mgaggie wrote:What about F & P Icon? They are the size of a large clock radio.

Now I'll run for cover

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Is somebody bragging about losing weight AND being in Tokyo?
I'm happy for you, but just a little bit jealous.
Maybe you need a little luggage caddy with wheels.

Carmen

Post by Carmen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:17 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Is somebody bragging about losing weight AND being in Tokyo?
I'm happy for you, but just a little bit jealous.
Maybe you need a little luggage caddy with wheels.
Losing weight was hard work and so is traveling. When I get home, I'm going to have to cook up some solution to the cement block, hopefully a nice lightweight unit I can strap to the top of my other luggage.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:47 am

Carmen wrote:I swear my Respironics machine was like dragging a cement block across Tokyo today. I suspect I might not actually need it any more since I lost a great deal of weight, but I'm apparently addicted enough to need it to sleep.
You have a fully data capable machine. If you're actually improved due to weight loss, you may be able to taper down to a lower pressure and evaluate your treatment. That might get you into using a non-bilevel machine or even to no machine if you gradually reduce pressure.

I doubt you'll get off of CPAP, but you have the tools to find out.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

DeVilbiss Marketing

Post by DeVilbiss Marketing » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:47 pm

One point of note - the IntelliPAP bag features an open sleeve to slip over a wheelie board handle much like a briefcase. Oh, I do work for the company