Boiling Stuff Part 2

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
VA3AEQ

Chemistry is Fun

Post by VA3AEQ » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:44 am

The baking soda is important to keep to keep the pH of the water basic.

I noticed that when I was boiling my cushions, that there was a layer of soapy bubbles on the surface of the water. Those bubbles are either the result of residual detergent (baby shampoo) being washed off the cushion or from the oils in the cushion being turned into soap by the sodium bicarbonate. I believe it is a combination of both factors.

Either way, the cushions come out nearly clear again and are bettee than new in my opinion. New cushions are hard and less flexible than used cushions. Boiling seems to make them sticky clean again without restoring the hardness. And as previously mentioned, I do not believe that bioling silicone will have any detrimental effects on it. YMMV!

I will likely boil my cushions once or twice a month from now on.

Dave....

StevenXXXX

Re: Boiling Stuff Part 2

Post by StevenXXXX » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:20 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I wonder what boiling would do for my Respironics full face Comfort gel cushions.
I'm ready to do a 'shield' or two, but the gel gets sorrier sooner--and I'm not sure. . .
If I am not mistaken, the original "gel" type masks were intended to be put in boiling water, cooled some, & then put on your face to conform to the contour of your particular face. It is only later that they made them where they did not have to be boiled & shaped. But at a local Awake meeting, a ResMed rep who was there said that if one had problems with the "gel" masks leaking, they could be boiled to conform to the contour of the face.

angela06

Post by angela06 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Has anyone had any luck boiling any Mirage Liberty cushions or nasal pillows?

hades161

Post by hades161 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:36 pm

Interesting tip.

Normally I wash my masks in a 50/50 of White vinegar and water and let them soak for 10 - 30 minutes, wipe off, rinse well and let dry. They always worked like new after a wash. They do get milky as they age though. I have 3 masks sitting around up to a year old I'll have to try both methods and see how things turn out.

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

angela06

Post by angela06 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:13 pm

Hades161:

When you said you wash in 50/50 vinegar/water, and then soak for 15-30 minutes, are you soaking the parts in the vinegar/water mix, or soaking them in water or something else? And do you wash the parts in some sort of cleanser first?

thank you

allen476

Post by allen476 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:50 pm

angela06 wrote:Has anyone had any luck boiling any Mirage Liberty cushions or nasal pillows?

You should be able to boil the Liberty cushions as long as you can remove them from the frame. You aren't going to hurt the silicone.

Don't boil anything but the silicone though.

angela06

Post by angela06 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Allen 496:

I am the person with the Mirage Liberty. You said you think I can boil the cushion. Do you mean I can boil the nasal pillows also?

Newbie Woman

Post by Newbie Woman » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:57 pm

I put my old floppy FX pillows in the top rack of the dishwasher, including a dry cycle, and so far, I've had good results. I would only do it to the ones ready to be thrown away.

I'm thinking these things were created with heat, so maybe heat rejuvenate them. I'll try boiling next, so thanks for the tips.

hades161

Post by hades161 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:23 pm

angela06 wrote:Hades161:

When you said you wash in 50/50 vinegar/water, and then soak for 15-30 minutes, are you soaking the parts in the vinegar/water mix, or soaking them in water or something else? And do you wash the parts in some sort of cleanser first?

thank you
My method:
I take a throw away container put in all the silicon pieces.
I then add hot water and then add about the same amount of white vinegar, and rub the parts a little to get the cleaning going.
I then put on a cover and soak it 10 to 30 minutes depending on how bad the mask is. Normally for me it starts feeling squeaky at about 15.
I give them hand washing in the vinegar/water mix making sure there are no greasy spots.
I then take the parts out and give them a really good rinse, again going over the silicon to get any greasy feeling spots off, normally there aren't any at this point.
I then lay the parts out on a clean white baking towel or paper towel if my good baking towels are dirty and let them air dry.

The plastic molded parts I clean with Dawn and good them a good once over and rinse.
Then lay those out to dry. When all parts are dry I reassemble the mask.

The mask comes out very clean and works just like new. With little to no smell.

Small tip for anyone who gets a scaley build up on the heating plate of some of the older style heated humidifiers. Soak the scaled up heating plate in pure white vinegar for 10 and come back and wipe the scale off. If not completely clean soak for another 10 minutes and wipe the next layer off. By the time your done the heating plate will be pristine. Rinse it well let dry and your good to go. Works for home humidifiers too.

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

allen476

Post by allen476 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:05 am

angela06 wrote:Allen 496:

I am the person with the Mirage Liberty. You said you think I can boil the cushion. Do you mean I can boil the nasal pillows also?

As long as they are silicone...From what I can tell from CPAP.com, they should be.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:31 am

I used your procedure on my quattro fx cushion. The boiled cushion give me 0 leaks. I have been using it for about 2 1/2 months. It's time to do my extra mask cushion. It's been used for about 4 months and is starting to show a slight leak at various time during the night.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

photodork

Post by photodork » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26 pm

ive been using the same quattro mask and cushion for 3 years now and only lately am i seeing some leakage. the seal isnt torn or anything, i think the headgear could be tightened a little.
ive boiled the cushion twice in those 3 years and used a little baking soda with the water. works great!
i was hoping to buy a new quattro this week, but had some car issues happen suddenly that required repair and so wont be getting a new mask. but i will boil the cushion again.

Nooblakahn

Post by Nooblakahn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Just boiled my quattro fx cushion, I've not yet tried it, but impressed that it really does look brand new. Thanks for the advice.

Edit, I feel this should be stikied

“I wonder if I've been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different."
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:30 pm

I use the quattro fx mask. This process extended the life of my cushions another 3 months.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Nooblakahn

Post by Nooblakahn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:23 am

Here is some leak data, both pre and post boil, for anyone on the fence on this.

Heres my leakline from resscan, the night before I boiled the seal

Here is the leak summary from the night before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres my leakline after boiling

And my summary after boiling.

I'm sold that this works. I also didn't have to use the chin strap I was going to use last night to keep the mask from sliding into my eyes. The stickiness added back to the mask kept it from sliding.

“I wonder if I've been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different."
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland