Many changes - what to do??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
th0mw4lker

Many changes - what to do??

Post by th0mw4lker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi all,

I started CPAP therapy six months ago and responded very well. Since then (and because of CPAP therapy) all my "other" related health issues have been "fixed" (HBP, depression, etc). I got back into shape, run and work out 3-4 times a week and have lost 30 pounds. A couple nights here lately I've accidentally fallen asleep without my CPAP. I still wake up refreshed, feel fine - no sleepiness or fatigue, sleep through the night and remember dreams. Pre CPAP it was obvious I had issues - woke up gasping, lots of snoring - these seem to be gone too. I have noticed lately that my body doesn't seem to "want" the CPAP like it did at first - I can still sleep with it but without it too. My pressure has always been low - 8cm, but my original DX was severe - AHI well above 30. Does anyone have suggestions or similar experiences? My concern is that I should adjust my pressure or re-test but my next Dr. appointment is a couple months out. Any danger in just staying the course?

Thom

ems

Re: Many changes - what to do??

Post by ems » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:54 pm

You may be interested in a thread I recently started -- "Any Thoughts Appreciated".
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:20 pm

Please take a minute to go up to the User Control Panel (under search, top left) and then to your Profile and then Edit Equipment. Choose your gear from the pull down menus and the choose to show those in TEXT, not pictures. This will put your equipment at the bottom of every post your write automatically, like mine below. Those with the same equipment can help you better than having to constantly ask you what you use!

I presume your machine is cpap only? If you had an auto adjusting machine (and you might), you could self titrate to see if you need an adjustment. However, even with a straight cpap machine, your data may help discern an change... if your machine is data capable.

So... a couple of things come to mind. First, congrats on all your health improvements. You've done a remarkable job with the weight loss and exercise routine. The related conditions being rectified is also wonderful. I would caution you to the fact that if you were to stop cpap completely, you might find yourself backsliding because this is one very insidious condition that is hard to tell about unless one is being monitored. I had no idea I had many hypopneas an hour..... or that my O2 dropped to low levels. I didn't have loud snoring or gasping or stopping breathing.... just low O2 and very shallow breathing. Damage done! If you stopped using your machine, how would you go about periodically checking to see if you need to start again?

Yours is not the only thread recently proposing that perhaps the writer could forego cpap therapy after successfully managing it as well as the other medical issues. It is a temptation, I am sure, to do that. Recent studies have shown that cpap therapy can be used even on those who don't have a DX of OSA at all.... the elderly, for example, when put on cpap, showed marked improvement in cognitive function even without any evidence of OSA related symptoms. Deep sleep has been shown to help the body avoid accumulating beta amyloid in the brain which is the hallmark of Alzheimers. For myself, if I found out tomorrow I didn't have OSA, I'd still want to remain on my machine as I enter my golden years. The benefits are something I would want to continue to receive. You might be a young person, and you may very well have 'beaten' the need for cpap. Just be super careful about monitoring yourself should you stop.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:10 am

Good answer Emilia!

90% EPAP=7.0, Avg PS=4.0, Avg bpm 18.3, Avg Min vent 9.2 Lpm, Avg CA/OA/H/AHI = 0.1/0.1/2.1/2.3 ... updated 02/17/12

Newbie Woman

Post by Newbie Woman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:06 am

Thom, woo hoo! Way to go! Happy dance for you!

I don't think you have anything to lose by waiting to see what the doctor says. I agree with Emilia. Even if I were declared "cured" tomorrow, I think I'd continue using my machine.

proctor78

Post by proctor78 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:05 am

Even if I were declared "cured" tomorrow, I think I'd continue using my machine

That is horrible advice continue use of cpap when it isnt needed can cause severe brain damage.. Congrats on all the positive changes!!!

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:49 am

th0mw4lker wrote: Any danger in just staying the course?
If you mean, "keep using the same pressure despite perhaps not really needing it as much now," no, there's very little risk. If pressure X doesn't do any harm to you when you're sick and need it, it probably won't do any harm to you if you've cured the underlying causes of apnea.

Don't be too sure you're over the apnea, either. Lots of people with bad apnea say they feel fine even after they have a sleep test and have horrible numbers.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.