Newbie here - A bit frustrated

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ckd N Lkd

Newbie here - A bit frustrated

Post by Ckd N Lkd » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi everyone,

Well after being told I snore and stopped breathing I finally went in for a sleep study. My Fiancee' is a light sleeper and my snoring would keep her up and she wouldn't be able to share the same bed as a result. I was diagnosed as having apnea and just finished my first night home using my new machine - I feel so much more rested and am hopeful this will help - the machine and the pressure with the mask takes getting used to, I always slept on my stomach and breathed thru my mouth. Last night I slept on my back and breathed thru my nose 0 what a concept - hope to continually improve. I checked my AHI and last night it showed 0 - I guess that means the auto pressure is working well for my situation? Sure hope it continues...

Thanks for a great site, It is life changing and overwhelming to accept you need this machine....

Jim

Last edited by Ckd N Lkd on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Trying to deal with the changes
CHASER

Newbie Woman

Re: Newbie here - great site

Post by Newbie Woman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Welcome!

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Ckd N Lkd wrote:I checked my AHI and last night it showed 0 - I guess that means the auto pressure is working well for my situation? Sure hope it continues...
Jim,

That does sound good for a first night. I lasted just a few hours my first night, and nearly chucked the whole thing out the window. An AHI of zero is great. Many people struggle getting started, and some folks take a long time to see an improvement. But like you, once I got started, it was like a light switch being flipped--I felt a huge boost right away.

-john-

Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:06 am

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Somebody here who remembers nearly the same experience, will pitch in if you ask a specific question. Welcome.

90% EPAP=7.0, Avg PS=4.0, Avg bpm 18.3, Avg Min vent 9.2 Lpm, Avg CA/OA/H/AHI = 0.1/0.1/2.1/2.3 ... updated 02/17/12

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:25 am

Well night 2 a little disheartened- 6.5 hours with the mask and unit
On and AHI showed 3.0 - so assume if still having episodes will keep my fiancée up when sleeping together. I was really hoping AHI would show 0 again ... Makes me wonder what it would be without machine on and what's the benefit... Do feel much more rested at least...

DrPepper00

Post by DrPepper00 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Guest wrote:Well night 2 a little disheartened- 6.5 hours with the mask and unit
On and AHI showed 3.0 - so assume if still having episodes will keep my fiancée up when sleeping together. I was really hoping AHI would show 0 again ... Makes me wonder what it would be without machine on and what's the benefit... Do feel much more rested at least...
I don't think the episodes will keep your fiancee awake. The machine is handling them quietly. You are not necessarily snoring. Many spouses here have commented on how well they sleep once the other one is on xPAP. No staying awake to make sure you are breathing or being blasted awake when the breathing starts again after an apnea. Keep up the good work.

Ckd N Lkd

Post by Ckd N Lkd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks for the support! I'm trying to get used to machine.. Anyone know where to get the software to view the SD card?

Thanks,
Jim

No more AHI's !!!

CHASER

jenn1270

Post by jenn1270 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:55 pm

I slept much much better after my husband got CPAP. He then started complaining about me and I got CPAP and we now both sleep well. It is kinda dueling CPAPs in our room.

Jenn

Ckd N Lkd

Re: Newbie here - A bit frustrated

Post by Ckd N Lkd » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:21 pm

3rd night 6 hours with mask on and showed .30 AHI - I slept on my side and stomach a prtion of the night - Does it matter what position you sleep in - I could never sleep on my back due breathing issues and now I can and really like to is this ok???

Still not sleeping long enough, when I wake up seems mask has to come off immediately still a little panicky when I wake up - seems hard to breathe thru mask.

CHASER

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Did you ever find the software?
If not you can use SleepyHead..free..information and download link is in my signature line.

ResScan download link can be found in forum member Uncle_Bob signature line.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=38643
If you want to use ResScan there is a handy little video to help navigating through the software
http://montfordhouse.com/cpap/resscan_tutorial/

If your computer has a SD slot then you don't need any other hardware to use your SD card and the software.
If your computer does not have a SD slot but has a USB port then all you need is a SD card reader/adapter.
Doesn't have to be expensive. Cheap generic will work. One end to plug into the USB port and the other end with a slot for the SD card.

If your computer is a Mac....SleepyHead has a Mac version.
ResScan would need a Windows environment to work on a Mac.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

kwcrnp

Post by kwcrnp » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm only a few weeks ahead of you in treatment but here's a few pointers
- "normal" is an AHI< 5, which means you want the lowest AHI but 1-3 is still good. From the forum, I think people try to improve this when getting closer to 5
- you will likely find out you need less sleep when using CPAP. I use to need 8-10hr and was still sleepy, now I'm 6-8 and feel rested
- not every night will be perfect, just like those not on CPAP, some nights are not good.
- my thought is as long as your AHI and leak rates are low, sleep however you prefer

Welcome to the club! Though I wish I didn't have this and didn't have to worry about CPAP machines/masks etc - I now can't imagine sleeping without it
Kristi

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Ckd N Lkd wrote:3rd night 6 hours with mask on and showed .30 AHI - I slept on my side and stomach a prtion of the night - Does it matter what position you sleep in - I could never sleep on my back due breathing issues and now I can and really like to is this ok???

Still not sleeping long enough, when I wake up seems mask has to come off immediately still a little panicky when I wake up - seems hard to breathe thru mask.
You're doing good, just stick with it. It takes time for the ol' bod to adjust. For some it's only a few days, for others it's a few months. Be aware that the AHI numbers, in my experience and from what others have reported, are kind of like jumping on a trampoline, sometimes you're up, sometimes you're down. It is the norm. Don't obsess about an AHI of zero. I don't think anyone here ever gets there except for an occasional night now and then. Sleep however you feel best, no hard and fast rules about it.

Adopt the '60s hippie philosophy, "If it feels good, do it!"

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:47 pm

Unless you're really suffering or getting enormously bad numbers, don't worry about anything other than wearing the machine all night long for the first week or two.

Yes, educate yourself and figure out how things work, but don't draw any conclusions or make any adjustments.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:26 am

Ckd N Lkd wrote:3rd night 6 hours with mask on and showed .30 AHI - I slept on my side and stomach a prtion of the night - Does it matter what position you sleep in - I could never sleep on my back due breathing issues and now I can and really like to is this ok???

For some of us the difference is monumental. Im a natural back sleeper which is a disaster.

Ive rigged up backpacks filled with basketballs, and even rigged up nylon stretch lines to my belt loops to prevent the rollover. Its not easy, but
it may help you significantly.

-tim

Post by -tim » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:50 am

.30 is Very good. 0 is good with some conditions... There have been cases of machines that can't count which is why 0 may not be good. (Does anyone have a test for this?... i.e. hold your breath for 15+ seconds and see if it records an event?). It can also record 0 if you sleep past noon as some machines (like resmed) reset their "day" then so if you wake up at 12:15, with no events after noon it will record zero for today.

Sleeping position will take some getting used to because you have the hose.

Good luck.