Forced to Switch but have so many ?'s

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
portiemom

Forced to Switch but have so many ?'s

Post by portiemom » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi again, I am still reluctant to switch to my new Resmed S9 Auto machine with heated humidifier and hose. I have been so used to my Respironics Tank which is fading fast. I was told that the S9 Auto had a read out for AHI and Hypopneas but I am not sure where to see them, is it in the clinical part? My DME guy said this machine does Not do that. He suggested that I switch it out for the Respironics Auto, or the Fisher Paykel that do have the daily read out. Since I have not used the S9 Auto he will do that for me. He said the Respironics Auto has a better humidifier and he has a lot less returns and complaints with that one. I have till tomorrow morning to decide.
I appreciate any help you guys can give me in making the best informed decision I can make. I am a computer dummy 101 so without the card reader and software, which I am not even sure how to use (thanks Pugsy for the download) I am lost.
Goodproof always helped me desipher my stuff.
Thanks

Pugsy

Re: Forced to Switch but have so many ?'s

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:47 pm

Number one...avoid the Fisher & Paykel machine. Lots of reasons..too many to list.
Number two...The S9 Autoset most certainly does have data on the LCD screen. There is a setting in the clinical menu to make the data available to the patient on screen. Sleep Quality has to be set from "Usage" to "On".
Number three...I would not agree about the Respironics humidification system being superior unless he happens to have one of the new Respironics machines that has a heated hose like the ResMed machine.

Here is a tutorial with pictures on how to get to the clinical menu on the S9 Autoset. You can clearly see what data is offered on screen.
http://www.apneaboard.com/ResMed/ResMed ... Setup.html

Number four....The Respironics Auto does have some on screen data but it is nowhere near the amount of data that the Autoset offers. Believe me I know this for a double sure fact. I own a PR S1 machine and I have got to borrow a S9 to try. The PR S1 machine only offers a pitiful 7and 30 day AHI average with no breakdown into categories of events. It offers 90% average pressure and a totally useless piece of leak information. Using SleepyHead equals out the data thing though.

I don't know why your DME is pushing the other machines when you have the S9 in your possession unless it is cost. The ResMed machines cost more. Have you not even tried it to see if you are comfortable with it?

I will tell you this..I have used a Respironics machine for nearly 3 years. I got to borrow a ResMed machine last month. I really liked the S9 and I wouldn't turn one down if someone gave it to me. I felt like it gave me equally as good of therapy as my PR S1 and I couldn't find anything that I didn't like about it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:56 pm

portiemom wrote:Hi again, I am still reluctant to switch to my new Resmed S9 Auto machine with heated humidifier and hose.

Be very careful about the exact model. ResMed has an "S9 Escape Auto" which is not compatible with the software. The model that is compatible with the software is "S9 AutoSet".

Even if you are not interested in ResMed's free software now you may develop an interest. Personally I would refuse anything but the AutoSet.

See specifications here - http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_se ... c=patients
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Idon't know why your DME is pushing the other machines when you have the S9 in your possession unless it is cost. The ResMed machines cost more.
We ALL know why! $$$$$$$

The least amount of profit on the S9 auto!

Both the new machines will feel strange because their algorithms are different than your old ResMed, so you're going to have to get used to something different no matter what. It may as well be the s9 where at least the inboard data is user friendly.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Hello, and thanks for your speedy reply, Pugsy to answer your question, no I haven't tried the S9 Autoset yet because I had an accident at work (mild concussion) and wanted to wait till my CT Scan and sore head began to ease up. I can't thank you enough for all your help with this. I will do my best to get rolling with it tomorrow.
To night person, it's not that I'm not interested in my stats, but yes I am computer challenged and even after I download the software, don't I still need a cardreader or something to slip my maching card into, (told ya I am computer dummy 102), thanks for your input though, my machine is the resmed s9 autoset with heated humidifier and heated hose.I'll do my best to try the new machine, Old Respironics Tank diehard here! Always hated change, so for me this is a tough one.

teknomom

Post by teknomom » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:25 pm

I hope you can soon stop feeling "forced" and start feeling "lucky" to have your new machine, especially since the old one is fading. Please get used to it gradually if you need to, so that you are prepared when the old one quits working. Good Luck!

because: "They Call the Wind Maria"
from the musical "Paint Your Wagon"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG4rxHgq ... re=related
PS: I love my "Wind", Maria

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:02 pm

portiemom wrote: To night person, it's not that I'm not interested in my stats, but yes I am computer challenged and even after I download the software, don't I still need a cardreader or something to slip my maching card into,
Unless your computer is ten or more years old it should have a USB connector into which the AutoSet's USB card will fit.

If you ever download the software and start looking at your data in graphic form you will love it. (Just my prediction of course.)
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:16 pm

Nightmonkey:
I have an S9 Autoset; Where is the USB slot?
All I see is the SD slot.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Both the new S9 Autoset and the PR System One APAP have SD cards...you should see one in the back of the Autoset. If you can't find it..let me know and I will get you a picture. They are about the size of a postage stamp. If your computer has a SD slot (like you might use for a SD card from a digital camera) you need no other special card readers (like your old Respironics machine needed). If your computer doesn't have a SD slot but has a USB port...all you need is a little adapter with one end to put the SD card in and the other end plugs into a USB port on your computer. Cost maybe $10 at WalMart. They look like this
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/generi ... eader.html and are called card reader adapters.

There is a bit of difference in the algorithm of the new ResMed machine when compared to your old Respironics machine. It may feel a bit different at first. Even if you opted for the Respironics PR S1 APAP...it would feel a bit different also. Not a huge difference and for most people, certainly not a deal breaker. Now there are some people who do prefer the "feel" of one machine over another for whatever reason. I can't say how you will "feel" but if you are anything like the majority of people..you won't have a problem. That heated hose on the ResMed machine is a super plus to have if you like any extra humidity at all and ever battle rain out.

Since you are not used to ResMed EPR (and it is different from your Respironics machine) I might suggest going with the middle of the road setting of 2 to start with. Having used both Respironics CFlex and AFlex exhale relief myself there is a different "feel" to it but I found after just a few minutes EPR was quite nice. It wasn't difficult to adjust to at all..just a bit "different" from what the Flexes feel like.

If you don't want to fiddle with the software you don't have to but at least you have that option.
Don't be afraid of change. In this case the change is really quite nice. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by Pugsy on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for the correction ladies. It does keep the machine smaller as compared to a USB, so I will give ResMed a pass this time. haha
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks again Pugsy, I will get one of those adapters tomorrow, my laptop doesn't have a port for the sd card, our desktop does I think, it's in the "man cave" and venturing in there Ugh, is almost as bad as all this computer stuff for me. lol
The DME gave me a Resmed Mirage FX for her mask because it is a lightweight mask, do you know if there is a way to secure this as I am a tummy, side restless sleeper? I've used almost every mask that I can to route overhead but lately my breeze and swift lt for her are hurting my nose, not to mention my head injury.
Thanks, and I apologize for all the ?s.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:53 pm

portiemom wrote:I was told that the S9 Auto had a read out for AHI and Hypopneas but I am not sure where to see them, is it in the clinical part? My DME guy said this machine does Not do that.
Many DMEs will deliver the S9 machine set up to not collect much data and lock the owner out of viewing the data. This is easily fixed by the owner in the provider menu.

S9's do have a significant drawback in that they throw away the detailed data after 7 days. They're still pretty good machines. You have to take the card out every 7 days and save it if you want to not lose data.

On PRS1 machines, the SD card slot may be covered up by a data modem during the compliance period when you are being watched by the insurance company to try and deny coverage if you don't use it enough.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.