Moving Target: Ongoing Mask Issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
M'ohms

Moving Target: Ongoing Mask Issues

Post by M'ohms » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Just when I think I've FINALLY found my mask, something goes wrong. I was really liking my Quattro FX, when after 4 months, I started developing a real doozie do a nose sore (pressure=deep bruising). I got a new cushion and that didn't help. I switched to the Liberty to relieve my nose and it took right at a month to tame it. Yea, I thought I had FINALLY found my mask! Then, my face started shrinking during the night and I couldn't resolve the leaks again. To make matters worse, I've developed TMJ from this mask. So I went back to a brand new QFX. Now I have both a really sore jaw and a deeply bruised nose! I've tried different thicknesses of mask liners: didn't help; different headgear tension: no relief; varying combinations of extra straps, chin straps, pads, etc.: no help... I can't sleep without a full face mask because my jaw falls back while I sleep. I have ordered a Hybrid to try next. We'll see...

After 7+months, my frustration level is pretty high. Am I a freak?

jamiswolf

Re: Moving Target: Ongoing Mask Issues

Post by jamiswolf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi Mohns,
Sorry the Qair is failing you. I haven't tried the chin strap trick yet...but I'm very happy with me regular Quattro performance and I'm not highly motivated. I noticed you run high pressures, which only makes things more difficult. John Fisher and the asv crew have loads of experience dealing with high pressures. Find some of their threads. I swear by Tee shirt gaskets and use a double layer. Other then that I have no practical hints. Good luck...
J

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:20 pm

You could try the Sleep Weaver Anew. I think it needs the short hose to work properly and it isn't included but it is very comfortable.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:26 pm

How does the Anew work with high BiPap pressures?

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:43 pm

It works good for me but UMMV. Not everyone likes this mask and frankly I didn't either when I first got it. I like SW masks and was really looking forward to getting this one. After I washed it several times the fabric that touches your face softened up and then it started working very well for me. I was recently in the hospital and I took this mask. I wasn't able to wash it and it continued to work well until I got home. I use the SW short tube with it because the weight of your hose will pull the mask away from your face.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:23 am

Nope... you are not a freak. The "mask journey" is normal. I went thru 6 masks until I found one that was just right for me.

Sheriff

purple

Post by purple » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:03 am

I also became somewhat more able to tolerate some things by my second mask.