ASV - DECISION: AirCurve 10 vs. DreamStation ASV

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Grand-PAP

ASV - DECISION: AirCurve 10 vs. DreamStation ASV

Post by Grand-PAP » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:36 am

I know many of you struggle with your treatment and have difficulty obtaining ASV therapy if you need it. Hopefully this will help.

About six years ago, I posted my problems, frustrations and final success. Originally, my doc prescribed straight CPAP therapy. With that treatment, I had an AHI of over 10.0 and an AI of over 5.0. Ultimately, I was able to obtain an ASV. I preferred the ResMed but my sleep doc insisted upon the Respironics. My five year ASV experience was a "normal" AHI of about 2.0 - 2.5 and an Apnea Index of about .8 to 1.0.

In May 2017 I had the opportunity to replace my old Respironics System One autoSV with a new system and I did a cpaptalk post to obtain your views regarding the current technologies and your system biases. Well, I made my decision, so I thought I would share my experience.

I chose the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. It took me five nights to adjust the settings. After that, for the last 100 nights I had the following results:

AHI: 0.5

Hypopnea Index: 0.5

Apnea Index: 0.0 (ACTUAL: 0.027)

Number of nights with NO Apneas: 84 out of 100 (obviously 84%)

Longest period with NO Apneas was 22 nights straight.

In the past 100 nights, I have had a total of 18 apneas!

SO, persistence works! If your therapy isn't working for you, document your results and work with your doc until you obtain the therapy you need!

Sleep Well!

Pugsy

Re: ASV - DECISION: AirCurve 10 vs. DreamStation ASV

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:30 am

Good job.
Glad it worked out so well for you.
I have had the chance to try both brands ASV...and while I don't technically need ASV for centrals (it can be used for other stuff but a very pricey alternative) I prefer the ResMed way of doing things for various reasons.
Doesn't mean the Respironics version is crap though...just means that for me and my preferences I like the ResMed.
But I can see that in some situations a person might need or want the way the Respironics goes about doing its job.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.