(ASV) Freedom CPAP Battery with AirCurve 10 ASV

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Grand-PAP

(ASV) Freedom CPAP Battery with AirCurve 10 ASV

Post by Grand-PAP » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:31 am

This is a review of the Freedom CPAP Battery.

We have a trip planned to Israel. Both the trip over and back leave around 11:00PM. I evaluated the various alternatives for a "portable" battery backup for my AirCurve 10 ASV. I actually found a Freedom CPAP Battery source that acknowledged that the AirCurve 10 ASV required significantly more power and she wasn't sure if the Freedom Battery would work. She recommend that, at least, I chain two Freedom Batteries. She OFFERED (and put on the invoice) that I had 30 days to test the batteries and if they DID NOT work for me, I could return them.

As you can see from the below image, the installation was extremely simple. The only requirement was that the installation had to be in this exact order:

1. Plug the DC power pigtail accord into the DC OUT jack of both batteries.
2. Plug the 24V power converter box into the DC power pigtail cord.
3. Insert the AirCurve 10 output cord into the power converter box.
4. Plug the 24V power converter with the AirCurve 10 output cord attached into the DC input port of the AirCurve Machine.
5. Turn on the AirCurve.
6. Go to sleep!

The two-night results were VERY surprising.

First Night: I only slept for 5 hours and 23 minutes, but it only used about 15% of each battery.

Second Night: I slept for 6 hours and 17 minutes.

As you can see from the below image, for the two-nights, 11 hours and 40 minutes, the batteries still have 60% and 63%.

So, I am very pleased with the purchase.
CAVEAT:

Probably Dreamstation users and most AirSense users would have not problems, and would probably only need ONE battery. However, AirCurve ASV and probably ST users might not experience the same results I did, depending upon your settings. As Pugsy pointed out to me, I have, "dumbed down my ASV machine." From the beginning of therapy, I have not adjusted well to Bi-Pap. So, I use settings: Min EPAP 8, Max EPAP 11, Min PS 0, Max PS 15. So, I would experience considerable less pressure fluctuations that most would have.

CPAPPED-ADAPT

Re: (ASV) Freedom CPAP Battery with AirCurve 10 ASV

Post by CPAPPED-ADAPT » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:42 am

Grand-PAP, thanks very much for posting this. I'm glad this worked out for you. I've been looking for a battery solution for my Resmed S9 Auto ADAPT (ASV) unit, and have not found anyone able to document battery performance above 20 cm, and not for an ASV. Would you mind PM'ing me a link to your source, or posting it (if it doesn't violate forum rules). Thank you so much!

Edit:
I forgot to add that my pressure settings are now at Min EPAP 4.6, Max EPAP 10.6, Min PS 4.0, Max PS 12.0.

Grand-PAP

Post by Grand-PAP » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:12 am

Thanks CPAPPED-ADAPT. PM sent.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:18 am

It looks like the two batteries combined would give you about 24 hours run time, about what would be expected from the scanty info on the ASV. Did you need this much time? Why did't you get one battery and see how long it lasted? Admittedly, the backup is nice but its a lot of money. The airline should allow you to bring two of these on board, but you might want to bring a printout of the regulation, since an overly vigilant inspector might claim one is the limit.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

Grand-PAP

Post by Grand-PAP » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:48 am

Hi CapnLoki,

Yep, I agree with your logic. As a matter of fact, I had another ASV user ask me about the kit. That was my advice to him - just buy one battery and test it. I bought two because everything I read made me think one would not be sufficient.

Your comment about the airline got me thinking that I might need a different adapter for one battery, but no. The pigtail works with either one or two batteries. With one battery, it just "dangles." Also, the same pigtail is used for charging. You merely plug it into the DC Input on the battery and into the charger. Similarly, it can be used to charge one or two batteries.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:22 am

When possible I like to combine all batteries into a large bank. But for some situations you might want to carry just one at a time. However, many airlines don't want your to pack spare lithium in checked luggage - you have to carry it on.

https://www.elal.com/SiteCollectionDocu ... 202015.pdf

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

Grand-PAP

Post by Grand-PAP » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:25 pm

This is an update.

BY THE WAY: I didn't mention it in the first post, but I did NOT use humidification.

On the first charge:

Night One: 5 hours 23 minutes
Night Two: 6 hours 17 minutes
Night Three: 5 hours 45 minutes
Night Four: 6 hours 37 minutes

(Yeah, I know I'm not getting enough sleep!)

After the fourth night, one battery had 13% left and the other had 14%

Recharge: Used the pigtail to recharge both simultaneously and it took about 3 hours and 45 minutes

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:58 pm

Grand-PAP wrote:This is an update.

BY THE WAY: I didn't mention it in the first post, but I did NOT use humidification.

On the first charge:

Night One: 5 hours 23 minutes
Night Two: 6 hours 17 minutes
Night Three: 5 hours 45 minutes
Night Four: 6 hours 37 minutes

(Yeah, I know I'm not getting enough sleep!)

After the fourth night, one battery had 13% left and the other had 14%

Recharge: Used the pigtail to recharge both simultaneously and it took about 3 hours and 45 minutes
So you probably don't want to discharge any deeper than that, although a quality battery should have under voltage protection. It looks like just about 24 hours for to two batteries.