ASV - Flight to Israel & Electricity in Israel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Grand-PAP

ASV - Flight to Israel & Electricity in Israel

Post by Grand-PAP » Wed May 24, 2017 4:00 pm

We have booked a trip to Israel. Both United flights between Newark and Tel Aviv are overnight. I have checked with United and my AirCurve 10 ASV is acceptable for use on board. I have purchased (with authorization to return it if it doesn't provide adequate power for the ASV) a Freedom Dual Battery kit.

1. I have never used a CPAP on a plane. Are there any special issues in doing so? I am aware of not using humidification.

2. There appears to be some potentially serious issues regarding electricity in Israel. Has anyone travelled there, particularly with a CPAP machine that could provide me info and advice?

Thanks

Grand-Pap

Julie

Re: ASV - Flight to Israel & Electricity in Israel

Post by Julie » Wed May 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Where in Israel are you talking about - they're generally very up to date technically...

You should contact United to find out about their planes & Cpap... not all are the same.

Grand-PAP

Post by Grand-PAP » Wed May 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi Julie,

We will be traveling throughout the country.

I've read several articles, below are just a couple of comments that concerned me with CPAP:

Israel uses what is called a "H" type plug. This plug, which is unique to Israel, has two flat prongs that form a V-shape and a flat vertical grounding prong at the bottom. They are rated at 16A. Type H outlets (sockets) are so shaped as to accommodate type C plugs as well.

Using 110V 60Hz Appliances in Israel
Visitors coming from North America, Mexico, Jamaica, Cuba, and other countries using 110V appliances, will most probably have to prepare a few things before they will be able to use their appliances in Israel. But first there is one thing that needs to be mentioned. Israel's electricity runs at 50Hz (hertz), while 110V countries usually run at 60Hz.

. . . and on and on.

Just wanted to find a CPAP user who had traveled to Israel and get their experience.

levman

Post by levman » Wed May 24, 2017 5:44 pm

I took my CPAP to Israel two years ago - stayed in 6 different hotels - and did not have any issues. The only thing I needed was a plug adapter. I don't recall for sure whether I took my Transcend or my Remstar PR System One (I may have taken both - the Transcend for the plane since I have a battery for it, and the Remstar for the hotels since I sleep better with it and this was a long trip) - whichever one I took, it worked fine.

You do want to make sure your CPAP works with 230V / 50Hz - but I'd be surprised if it didn't.
Last edited by levman on Wed May 24, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed May 24, 2017 5:45 pm

I have used a CPAP machine in Israel, but not on the flight.

Electricty in Israel is 220 vols and 50 Hz, whereas electricity in the US is 110 volts and 60 Hz. This is not likely to be an issue as the AirCurve 10 ASV is compatible with either (I just checked). However, please be aware that the shape of the electrical sockets is different.

A typical Israeli socket is shown below on the left. This socket is unique to Israel. It accepts two slanted pins and a ground pin. The adapter for Israel is shown in the middle. Unless you're staying in a very old hotel, you should also be able to use the standard European ungrounded adapter (two round pins) shown on the right.

Image Image Image

Last edited by D.H. on Wed May 24, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed May 24, 2017 5:51 pm

If you're staying in a "religious" (i.e. Orthodox Jewish) place, explain to them that your machine is life saving equipment and needs to be used on the Sabbath (Friday night/Saturday morning).

Grand-PAP

Post by Grand-PAP » Wed May 24, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks Levman & D.H.,

Excellent info. I appreciate it!