Brand new FFM arrived Mirage Quatro: many FFM?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
krl

Brand new FFM arrived Mirage Quatro: many FFM?

Post by krl » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Brief history - diagnosed early Aug. w Severe OSA - Started with nasal mask/switched to dreamwear nasal pillow/ from the start, discovered I was a jaw dropper, tried ruby chinstrap and the 3M tape for a while - still mouth puffs.

So, ordered a FFM Mirage Quatro and am demoing it this afternoon. I chose Medium size based on the FFM they used on me in my 2nd sleep study. It was a Simplus Fisher & Paykel and was a medium. I'm hoping there's some universal standard on sizes between DMEs (but probably not so much). I got the 30 return policy from some great advice on this forum. So on my bed with a mirror looking at my airsense 10 as I roll from side to side and on back. When on back I see the green face glitch from red to green. On my side - it remains green so I am thinking overall - that my seal stats will be ok. I did find I had to really tighten the lower straps to get the green/happy seal. Of course I haven't yet spent a night with it, but the hour I spent demoing it are now raising tons of questions which I'm sure answers abound are already out there. Some of you vets will of course point me to the best pertinent threads, but here goes my scatter spray:

Jaw Drops: once jaw drops and you get the chipmunk cheeks - I imagine all that air all night long is going to wreak havoc with dry teeth and mouth?

Drool: I wasn't even asleep and felt a puddle forming while on my side

Mouth guards: these aren't designed to lock your jaw, they're for teeth grinders and snorers who don't drop their jaw, right?

For those who weighed in earlier on my personal struggle at work - just got the Drs note to go on less hours and work from home and may have to do the FMLA to get back to normalcy. That in and of itself is causing even more fun stress...it does get better...right? This is probably a familiar story arc that has played on heavy rotation. Always thankful ...and yes mindful that I'm a bit long-winded in my comments.

Gasper62

Re: Brand new FFM arrived Mirage Quatro: many FFM?

Post by Gasper62 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:30 pm

Good luck with that mask. I bought one and couldn't get it to seal at all. After an hour or two of fiddling with the dial thingy, I went back to my F10, I still haven't found a better mask fit for me yet. (The Hans Rudolph FFM is pretty good at preventing chin-drop but, it wasn't as comfortable as the F10) Hope you get something that works.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:34 pm

Read this on the Mirage Quattro....
https://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/tamin ... e-quattro/

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:15 pm

Good luck with the Quattro, it was like a dance with the devil for me.
You might want to start looking into pad-a-cheek mask liners, there is a lot of silicone on your face with the quattro and its a big mask. When you have the humidifier on it can make you feel quiet warm with all that humidity over your face. If you are paying for your own supplies then the Quattro is very expensive at $180 a pop.
I went on to try nasal pillows and a chin strap. The ruby is a ford, the papcap is the ferrari.
I'm glad your employer is being so understanding, many people wouldn't even dream of telling an employer about a health issue like sleep apnea.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:25 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:Good luck with the Quattro, it was like a dance with the devil for me.
You might want to start looking into pad-a-cheek mask liners, there is a lot of silicone on your face with the quattro and its a big mask. When you have the humidifier on it can make you feel quiet warm with all that humidity over your face. If you are paying for your own supplies then the Quattro is very expensive at $180 a pop.
I went on to try nasal pillows and a chin strap. The ruby is a ford, the papcap is the ferrari.
I'm glad your employer is being so understanding, many people wouldn't even dream of telling an employer about a health issue like sleep apnea.
Amazon.com.....Quattro Mask $79.99....Quattro Cushion $34.99.....No Prescription
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... +CPAP+mask

snoozysue

Post by snoozysue » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:32 pm

I have found the Pad-a-cheek Anti Leak strap makes the Quattro seal extremely well.

http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_AntiLeak_Strap.html

krl

Post by krl » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:17 pm

LSAT - do you still need to tape when using the PAPcap? I assume it's not a flexible material...thanks K

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:35 pm

LSAT wrote:
Uncle_Bob wrote:Good luck with the Quattro, it was like a dance with the devil for me.
Amazon.com.....Quattro Mask $79.99....Quattro Cushion $34.99.....No Prescription
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... +CPAP+mask
Wow seems like cpap.com has some price matching to do

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:39 pm

krl wrote:LSAT - do you still need to tape when using the PAPcap? I assume it's not a flexible material...thanks K
Its not that flexible, that is its best feature. Its a wider chin strap that sits further back under your chin.

http://www.pur-sleep.com/papcap-chinstrap

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:31 am

krl wrote:LSAT - do you still need to tape when using the PAPcap? I assume it's not a flexible material...thanks K
The only time I used the PAPcap was when I used a nasal mask 6-7 years ago. I never taped. With the FF Quattro (like you are using) there was never a need for chinstrap or tape. I thought it was very flexible.

tonycog

Post by tonycog » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:23 am

I tried every mask available when I started PAP therapy. I battled leaks with every mask. The Quattro was the best mask for me. I discovered that sleeping on my side makes it more likely to avoid leaks than sleeping on my back. I have since changed my headgear to the Respironics Softcap. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/softca ... nics.htmlt

This head gear is a winner when paired with the Quattro. They are made by competing manufacturers, but the will work together. If you struggle with leaks, see if you can put this head gear on the Quattro.

krl

Post by krl » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:29 pm

Returned the Quatro The very next day. After I heard the comments I danced with the devil, after my night I felt the same. Trying the Simplus F&P next. Thx all who weighed in

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:52 am

krl wrote:Returned the Quatro The very next day. After I heard the comments I danced with the devil, after my night I felt the same. Trying the Simplus F&P next. Thx all who weighed in
You didn't give it much of a chance...It takes more than 1 or two days.....