Is this normal?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Annabelle

Is this normal?

Post by Annabelle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:54 am

I've been sleeping with the cpap for about a week. The first 5 nights went pretty well, but last night was horrible! I woke up several times and had trouble falling asleep again. It was more like the before cpap sleep. Is this normal to have "bumps in the road" or is something going wrong? Thanks!

Pugsy

Re: Is this normal?

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:01 am

Yes, entirely normal to have some bumps in the road. Everyone (even non sleep apnea people) can and will have nights where their sleep isn't go great.
I still have a "bad" night every now and then myself.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:23 am

Your situation is normal. I woke up yesterday morning feeling real bad. I tossed and turned all night, which was unusual for me. My numbers were slightly elevated, but I knew it was goin' to be a bad one and it was. I am 11 months from retiring, and yesterday morning was the first time I felt like calling in and tell the boss I'm not coming in to work... ever... You are going to have good and bad nights with or without cpap.

Went to work and I feel much better today....

Sheriff

SusieG

Post by SusieG » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 am

Completely normal... I was doing great and than, BAM, a bad night. Lots of mask farting and leaks, could not get comfy and my mind would NOT shut down! I have been on CPAP for just over and month and that was the only bad night so far. Don't give up!!!

Phil_in_CA

Post by Phil_in_CA » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:51 am

"Bumps in the road" happen...

I have been on CPAP for almost 4 months, with better and better results, but if I were to chart the numbers, it would not be a steady decline. I have had nights where I slept like a baby and the next night not... case in point:

Last night, I misread the clock (which read 2:00) and thought it was 5:00, so since my nose was itching, I turned off my machine, took off my mask, scratched my nose, and went back to sleep! Slept most of the night without my machine and awoke at 6:00 feeling like I had been hit by a truck! Luckily, I am retired and could go back to sleep (with the machine!!!) after my wife went off to work! Two hours of pretty good sleep, and I felt ok... IT IS TO LAUGH! What a BUMP!

Hang in there Susie! We are all different, so your bumps will not necessarily be the same as mine, but I would wager that most of us have them!! Good luck and keep us posted.

Phil
Boo and Pika! My constant companions.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Well, I'm glad you had five pretty good nights before a bad one. Yes, it's entirely normal, Annabelle. I'm glad you're posting on the forum. You've got a great little machine.
Keep us posted on how it's going.
Mary

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum and the wealth of information here! This seems like it will be a long, strange trip, and I'm glad to have many voices of experience to help!

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Annabelle wrote:The first 5 nights went pretty well, but last night was horrible!
Hi,

This happens to me about once every 6 weeks or so for no apparent reason. I end up feeling like a zombie the next day. My co-workers simply assume that I was abducted by aliens because that is kind of what it feels like to walk around in a fog all day. My strategy for getting through it is to have some work that I can do that doesn't require a lot of thought, such as things that are very routine or somewhat mechanical in nature.

-john-

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:39 am

Heh. . .and every once in a while . . .it's just a whole bad week.

And then there's that odd ball kink that shows up that has to be ironed out.

Work in progress. . .

(speaking from someone who is in a bad week - and has to work out a couple MORE kinks)