Dueling CPAP - Quick Poll

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jenn1270

Dueling CPAP - Quick Poll

Post by jenn1270 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:37 pm

How many CPAPers out there have a bed partner that uses CPAP as well?

My husband has used CPAP for a few years now and I just recently got diagnosed and started as well. My housekeeper was laughing that our bedroom looks funny with machines and tubing going everywhere.

I'll say that having a husband that already used CPAP has made my transition so much smoother.

Jenn

cindjo717

Re: Dueling CPAP - Quick Poll

Post by cindjo717 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Nope, my hubby doesn't have one, just me.. He doesn't even snore.. tee hee...

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:55 pm

I was initially diagnosed with sleep apnea in 1989. my wife was diagnosed in 2010 with sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome. we have dueling twin respironics system one a-flex machines. she is 6-11. i'm 8-12. our king size bed circus is rounded out with 2 dogs both trying to take their half out of the middle.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:03 pm

No, I am the only one in the house using a CPAP. I do know for a fact though that my wife and dog have now come to appreciate my machine greatly, as the house is now so quiet that they both are finally able to get some sleep...

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:04 pm

Our bed is graced with matching S9 Autosets.
He wears a Fitlife and I wear a Swift FX.

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:31 pm

We both had our sleep studies about 1 month apart; we made a pact with each other, she would only go for a sleep study if I went for one as well. We now have matching PR S1, and a little beagle who likes to bite the air stream out of my quatro. The only difference is I use a quatro full face and she uses a swift fx and is also on 2L of O2 as well but that is another story.

we have had no issues with the machines, but we are looking for a quit O2 concentrator, we had to move the one we currently have to the spare bed room and run a long hose.

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

kwcrnp

Post by kwcrnp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Not yet but my hubby needs one...if I can ever get him to go to the sleep study!!!
Kristi

jenn1270

Post by jenn1270 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:27 pm

After demanding he get one and get CPAP before I would marry him, he demanded I get a sleep study after I was sleep talking and sleep moaning all night. We've both been sleeping much better. Well, until recently. He has an issue with his back and I suspect will need surgery soon. I am kinda worried about how he will do with anesthesia and post op with his need for CPAP.

I'm glad to know we aren't the only CPAP couple out there.

Jenn

sandman19

Post by sandman19 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 pm

My wife and I both have PR System One ASVs. I put my oxygen generator in the next room, run the tubing to my ASV, and close the door. Neither of us snored, but we sleep much better knowing that our central apneas/hypopneas are being treated.

Sandman19

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:55 pm

retrodave15 wrote:... we are looking for a quit O2 concentrator, we had to move the one we currently have to the spare bed room and run a long hose.
sandman19 wrote:... I put my oxygen generator in the next room, run the tubing to my ASV, and close the door.
I also have my 02 concentrator in the next room. My husband drilled a small hole thru the wall and we run the 02 tubing thru the hole, along the wall behind the vanity and to my VPAP Auto. I also use 02 during day. For that I just remove the tubing that runs to my VPAP Auto from the concentrator and put my daytime tubing on the concentrator. Its easy enough to switch tubing as needed.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:06 pm

retrodave15 wrote:we have had no issues with the machines, but we are looking for a quit O2 concentrator, we had to move the one we currently have to the spare bed room and run a long hose.
i have an Invacare Platinum XL Concentrator in my bedroom that makes very little noise when running. i have it from when i couldn't use my cpap before i got my apap. i'm getting ready to return it to the dme. a few years ago the former dme gave me some noisy piece of crap that we could hear in the other bedroom with both doors closed. see if your dme will get you an Invacare Platinum XL Concentrator . if not, look for a different dme or ask insurance or your doctor for assistance. he may be able to write a medical neccessity letter for something quiet that don't interfere with sleep.

the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:58 pm

My first 02 concentrator was a DeVilbiss. It was noisy but it ran forever. It was used w/something like 22500 hours on it when I got it from my DME. It did eventually die after I'd had it 6 years. They replaced it w/a used Invacare Platinum XL that was even noisier. Out of the blue about 4 months later they showed up w/a brand new Respironics EverFlo Q. This baby is QUIET compared to the other two. It also does not put out as much heat as the other two.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Slinky wrote:My first 02 concentrator was a DeVilbiss. It was noisy but it ran forever. It was used w/something like 22500 hours on it when I got it from my DME. It did eventually die after I'd had it 6 years. They replaced it w/a used Invacare Platinum XL that was even noisier. Out of the blue about 4 months later they showed up w/a brand new Respironics EverFlo Q. This baby is QUIET compared to the other two. It also does not put out as much heat as the other two.
i guess it really depends on the age and condition of the individual machine then. brand new is always better. i doubt any of them leave the factory real noisy. mine is really in the bedroom and i slept right next to it. currently 2461358 h on the counter. must be 24613.58 hours or about 2.8 years because 246135.8 would be about 28 years

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:14 am

jenn1270 wrote:He has an issue with his back and I suspect will need surgery soon. I am kinda worried about how he will do with anesthesia and post op with his need for CPAP.
Jenn: I have had a couple of surgeries since starting cpap therapy. I have had 3 back surgeries prior to cpap treatment. Make sure you take your cpap equipment stuff to the hospital. You don't want to use their mask (a big ewwww!!! ). The anesthesologist needs to know that your hubby is a cpap-guy. The anesthesia issues are no more risky than prior to cpap use. Just make sure you have your mask on at night. I have found that some nurses may let you sleep if they see a mask on you in the middle of the night. The mask is a "let me sleep" sign. Of course, if the nurse is a looker....

Sheriff

sapphirerose

Post by sapphirerose » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:34 am

My husband and I both have CPAP. He has had his longer, about 4 or 5 years now. I just got mine in December.

Jenn,

My husband had back surgery with CPAP. Take the machine and mask to the hospital with you. The hospital respiratory therapist will check out the machine, fill with distilled water, and plug into the "red" outlets, which at our local hospital are the ones that are powered by the backup power supply in the event of a power outage. They put the oxygen on under his quattro.