STOP BANG test

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingUgly

Re: STOP BANG test

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:38 pm

Good news: Having only answered yes to one of those questions, I have a very low chance of OSA!!!

Bad news: I have OSA.

BTW, I thought risk of OSA in women after menopause is comparable to men's risk.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Kody

Post by Kody » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:21 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:Good news: Having only answered yes to one of those questions, I have a very low chance of OSA!!!

Bad news: I have OSA.
Good one!

Well I'm thinking this Bang Test is a little skewed. As being an over 50 Male, your pretty much screwed right off the bat. I will have to notify the xPAP board right away there could be a discrimination suit in the works..
While I was never actually "observed" not breathing in my sleep, I have however woken up jumped out of Bed and gasping for breath like the wind got knocked out of me, does that count?
Complex Sleep Apnea

sandman19

Post by sandman19 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:21 pm

Dear Beth0277 Thank you for an interesting post. The STOP-BANG questionnaire was actually developed to indicted a patient's (rough) risk of developing post-operative complications in the PACU secondary to OSA-obstructive sleep apnea. To date it is the most sensitive and specific questionnaire for that purpose-identifying those at highest risk for PACU death, cardiopulmonary arrest, apnea, hypoxemia, re-intubation, MIs, dysrhythmias, etc. All anesthesiologists know that it is a rough estimate and that it is far from being perfect. And, if it raises questions and concerns, your anesthesiologist will explore them in detail. A new more accurate questionnaire will be welcomed-hopefully soon.

The STOP-BANG questionnaire is NOT designed to diagnose OSA nor CSA-ie: Sleep Disordered Breathing, nor to quantify SDV, nor to predict the need for PSG, etc., etc., etc. I hope this helps answer your questions.

Best Wishes, Sandman19