(ASV) My Rocky Road: S9 Elite -> S1 ASV -> AirCurve 10 ASV

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Grand-PAP

(ASV) My Rocky Road: S9 Elite -> S1 ASV -> AirCurve 10 ASV

Post by Grand-PAP » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:35 am

I haven’t posted very much for the last few years. Recently I posted regarding the replacement of my System One autoSV.

Afterward, I received a message from a user who had read my ASV posts from back in 2012 and indicated that they had helped. The user asked me to do an update. So, here's the update . . .

I started therapy in November 2011 with a S9 Elite CPAP machine. As a newbie, I had major problems with therapy, and as many of you have experienced, major problems with my sleep doc. So, finally I decided to take my therapy in my own hands. I bought a used Respironics ASV and a used ResMed ASV and experimented with settings until they resolved my AHI problems. I used the reports to convince my doc to do an ASV sleep study. It truly was a Rocky Road!

From my experimentation with the ASV units, I was much more comfortable with the ResMed, but my Doc insisted on the Respironics. I spent over five years on the System 1 ASV.

A few weeks ago, I made the post to cpaptalk requesting update info and suggestions regarding the Dreamstation vs AirCurve. I made an appointment with a NEW doc. He also preferred Respironics, but left the decision to me. Ultimately, I decided to go with my first impressions from 2012 and ordered the AirCurve 10.

Well, as happened with the Rx for my System 1, the Rx for the AirCurve was NO WHERE near what I needed. So, once again, I started my own therapy management. It only took TWO nights to get it right – and has it ever been RIGHT . . .

As you can see from the above, for the 11 nights I have used the AirCurve 10, my AHI has been .6 and my Apnea Index has been ZERO. Actually, during the 11 nights, I did have TWO apneas - but they were intentional. The first night, twice I held my breath, just to test the AirCurve. Those are the ONLY apneas I have had!
I can’t imagine a person wanting to dig through the old archives, but for anyone who has an interest in looking at the entire Rocky Road, below are the links to the original three posts:

3rd Post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77572

2nd Post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77531

1st Post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75762

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: (ASV) My Rocky Road: S9 Elite -> S1 ASV -> AirCurve 10 ASV

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Congratulations, Grand-PAP, on getting your therapy nailed down.
You have done exactly the right thing we all need to do when our providers fall short.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: (ASV) My Rocky Road: S9 Elite -> S1 ASV -> AirCurve 10 ASV

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Bump.
Next time your road gets rocky, have a dish of mine.
There's plenty. Being diabetic, I have to share.